Can I use Toshiba AL15SEB120NY 1.2TB 10000RPM SAS-12GBPS 2.5" for a desktop?

More trouble than it's worth. By the time you buy a cheap/crappy SAS controller and the appropriate cable you could spend a few dollars more and get a brand new 1TB (or larger) SATA SSD.

SAS drives don't work in desktop PCs unless you have a SAS controller card as stated bu JRed above.

You can get 1TB 'regular' SATA SSDs now for that price. Forget it.
I should be able to take it off the server, assuming it has one.

1. its a regular spinning HDD with a common server interface --SAS.. serial attached scsi
wont work without SAS controller and not worth it. I have a stack of 2TB hdd sitting here retired.

2. The Ram is ECC and DDR4.
your pc isnt likely to support ECC and therefore wouldnt work with a ddr4 Rdimm.

What pc do you have? I am guessing you need a sata not a NVME style.
here is a 1TB for 43$

1. its a regular spinning HDD with a common server interface --SAS.. serial attached scsi
wont work without SAS controller and not worth it. I have a stack of 2TB hdd sitting here retired.

2. The Ram is ECC and DDR4.
your pc isnt likely to support ECC and therefore wouldnt work with a ddr4 Rdimm.

What pc do you have? I am guessing you need a sata not a NVME style.
here is a 1TB for 43$
Yes, 2TB SSD are what, $175 brand new with warranty? And still ~5x faster than 10k HDD? Skip them.

I'd just upgrade to an SSD, 10k RPM spinners are loud, run hot, and are likely old enough to be on their way out now, a cheap SSD will stomp even a large 15K SAS array in random IO performance.

Back