Can I use Sony and Wii wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm am wayyyyy out of my league here. Looking at buying a Sony blu-ray player that has access to free on line entertainment, but my router may as well be miles away. My question: I have a wifi that came with the Wii, can I somehow plug the Wii into the Sony to use its' wifi capabilities? I'm thinking along the lines of hooking up different compontents like on a stereo receiver. Maybe that's my problem.....I just don't know. Wifi bluray is not that important, but if I could do it....why not?

I'm probably as ignorant when it comes to blu-ray stuff,
But I think you can allow other devices to grab there wi-fi signal from the wii.
If your Wii is getting signal via Wi-Fi than why would the blu-ray gimick not get it ?

This paticular blu-ray is not wifi enabled, comes with an ethernet port. Honestly, not really sure why I'd want wifi streaming through the bluray player, but if it's free....I thought I'd look into it.

Dang....kind of what I thought. It was such a simple idea, I knew it wouldn't work. Thanks.

If you don't want to run a network wire for the Blu-ray player you can buy a wireless access point. You will not be able to plug the Blu-ray into the Wii.

Thanks all. Good idea xlr....I'll keep that in mind should I decide to venture down that road. My internet speed is not all that anyway. When I had netflix through the Wii, it kept cutting out on me unless is was late at night.

Here's what I did. Took an old Linksys router with Tomato loaded on it and set it up as a wireless bridge to my Buffalo router. Plugged the Linksys into the Sony player and viola... youtube and crackle and other (paid) services.

Works great for my son since he loves some of the cartoons that are availalbe.

Originally Posted By: buickman50401
Here's what I did. Took an old Linksys router with Tomato loaded on it and set it up as a wireless bridge to my Buffalo router. Plugged the Linksys into the Sony player and viola... youtube and crackle and other (paid) services.

Works great for my son since he loves some of the cartoons that are availalbe.

It would take a lot of work using open source firmware, and it really depends on what chipset it comes with and not all chipsets support this feature reliably.

I'd recommend getting one of those access point or gaming adapter (same thing really). It is much easier although you may need to pay a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back