Can I use heat to loosen a Mag Lite battery cap?

Soak it in a weak acid solution and it will dissolve the corrosion (or dip it in a strong solution more briefly). Unless it has eaten away parts, it will work again. Flashlights are incredibly simple.
Yeah, maybe white vinegar?

Soak it in a weak acid solution and it will dissolve the corrosion (or dip it in a strong solution more briefly). Unless it has eaten away parts, it will work again. Flashlights are incredibly simple.
I'm going to soak it in white vinegar today!

Personally, I would not be afraid to heat it with a propane torch.
My buddy said NO! It's dangerous! Because there are batteries inside.

Last edited:
I'm going to soak it in white vinegar today!

Personally, I would not be afraid to heat it with a propane torch.
The heat won’t affect the corrosion. The acid will, because the battery corrosion is basic (alkaline battery - potassium hydroxide).

For a car battery (sulphuric acid), you should clean it up with a base.

The white vinegar did it! Soaked it overnight and hit it with a small hammer about 100 times and got it loose with two Cobra water pump pliers.

Chuck it in the trash can. Never had a reliable mag light. Finally stopped buying them.
I know it was suggested to just toss it if it was the old one, but it would still be a good little flashlight to have at my desk, for the price of 2 AA batteries and maybe a new bulb.

It's something for me to putz around with in the winter, upstairs at my desk. It's too cold in the garage right now. :( :(

I'm the kind of person that always has to be making something or fixing something, or I'm not happy :( :(

Replacement Bulb For Mini Mag-Lite

CEC Industries #2A001 Bulbs, 2.7 V, 0.86 W, M-23 Base, T-1 Shape (Box of 10)
Best I can tell these are the same bulbs.
What do you all think?​

I had a 2-D Maglite that I had to pull the switch out the top in an attempt to get the corroded Duracels out. Those batteries were welded solid in the tube, couldn't hammer them out so the entire thing was tossed.

I had retro fitted the krypton bulbs with Mag's LED bulbs in the two, 2-D cell lights I have. I dropped one and have since gone back to incandescents.

maglite 002_a.jpg

What if they would have told Thomas Edison to just "toss that light bulb contraption" you've been fooling with?
What if they would have told Alxander Grahm Bell to "just toss that stupid phone thing" you've been monkeying with?
i want to be an inventor, an inventor, a creator :( :(
i want to be like him :( :(
1703012506671.jpg

I had a 2-D Maglite that I had to pull the switch out the top in an attempt to get the corroded Duracels out. Those batteries were welded solid in the tube, couldn't hammer them out so the entire thing was tossed.

I had retro fitted the krypton bulbs with Mag's LED bulbs in the two, 2-D cell lights I have. I dropped one and have since gone back to incandescents.

The LED's are no good?

I've had Maglite flashlights forever. Dependable and reliable and they work even after being dented from handling accidents. Most importantly, made in USA. Have a 2AA next to my chair and a 3D in my car door pocket. My best half has a 2AA on her dresser. Somewhere my 6D that's 47 years old is lurking. Great lighting tools.

I've had Maglite flashlights forever. Dependable and reliable and they work even after being dented from handling accidents. Most importantly, made in USA. Have a 2AA next to my chair and a 3D in my car door pocket. My best half has a 2AA on her dresser. Somewhere my 6D that's 47 years old is lurking. Great lighting tools.
Are you using any of the LED maglights?

I'll dial it in, in the 4 jaw and bore it out if I have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am bound and determined to repair this thing!

I would dip the end, just the cap on the end, in boiling water. while keeping the cylindrical body cool as possible.

Boiling water will be 212 degrees. Not excessively hot. You will expand the cap with the heat.

Back