Can I use GC 0-30 on 2017 Maxima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Maxima and I am on my last oil change before the warranty runs out. I have 10 bottles or so of Castrol GC 0-30 stockpiled from a recent sale. Since the GC oil is SL rated will it pose any issues if I use for my next oil change? My year Nissan specifies SN. I know older Nissan engines ran fine with GC.

Warranty up? Your powertrain warranty goes 5 years or 60k miles. Therefore, in case you don't want to risk Nissan denying a warranty claim, do not use Castrol 0w30 here.
However, chances are you won't have an oil related problem, or they will only check to see the oil is relatively clean and the valve covers are clean, sometimes all they check.
Technically that oil will work very well in a Maxima. It has some of the best overall specs it meets, so its better than SL or SN, in reality.

Great looking car. How has the CVT held up? I always hear about trouble with those.

Biggest chance from SL to SN is phosphorus limit which has lowered to help protect the cats.

It might void your warranty, but if the engine does not consume a lot of oil, it shouldn't cause any issues.

It is good oil though, A3/B4 and MB 229.5 are pretty good certs.

Biggest worry would be the warranty, but I would run that oil other than that.

Yes you can
smile.gif

In fact, GC 0w30 is very popular in the Nissan community. People with VQ engines love it!

I am approaching 58K miles with it so yes I'm almost at the 60K mark. The car is very nice. So far no issues. The CVT has held up very well. It was my only hesitation buying this car but so far so good!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Yes you can
smile.gif

In fact, GC 0w30 is very popular in the Nissan community. People with VQ engines love it!

I'm still baffled as to why this engine is spec'd at 0W-20 but so far it runs just fine. I probably wouldn't push it past 5000 miles but since I have the oil I thought I might as well use it.

Did you try the 0w30 yet? Curious as to how it runs on it. Because my 2018 Maxima runs great on 0w20 pennzoil platinum.

Originally Posted by lexus114
Did you try the 0w30 yet? Curious as to how it runs on it. Because my 2018 Maxima runs great on 0w20 pennzoil platinum.

Very quiet and very smooth! No problems. To me I noticed a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back