Can I use 5W30 Castrol GTX in 1988 Celica?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1988 Toyota Celica ST I bought new in 1988. It's been stored during the winters; never driven in the snow. It just turned over 60K miles, late last summer.

In the owners manual, it specifies 10W30, and 10W40, (and heavier) above 0F to 10F. Basically, for the summer. I have always used 10W40 Castrol GTX dino oil in it, since I only drive it in warm weather

For 50F and below, it specifies 5W30. Basically, that's for the winter. Since I don’t drive it in the winter, I’ve never used 5W30 in it.

I am driving this car less and less. As I’m getting older, I find driving a 5 speed in rush hour traffic bites. (My other car is a Pontiac Vibe, AKA Toyota Matrix, and it has my first auto trans.)

I'm only putting about 1 to 2K(max) a year on this car now, during the summer. I change the oil and filter (10W40 Castrol dino) right before I store it for the winter. It comes out looking quite clean, as you might expect. I drive it for the summer, and then change the the oil again before I store it.

I know many newer cars now spec 5W30 oil year around. I know the Toyota Matrix, Corolla, and Camry (4 cyl, for sure) have been specing this oil for at least 5 years. My Pontiac Vibe specs 5W30 for year round. (For that car, I change it every 3K, with the Castrol GTX 5W30 dino oil. It’s nice using the same oil, year round).

I'm wondering if I could safely use 5W30 Castrol GTX dino oil in my 1988 Toyota Celica during the relatively few miles I drive it during the summer. It has the 2000cc, non turbo 3F-SE engine. It has never leaked or burned any oil. Not a drop. But it will get driven, in city traffic, with the AC on, in 80 to 100F heat.

It would be nice to only have one weight of oil to buy and keep track of. (I am getting lazier in my old age...)

I know that the 5W30 oil available today is much better than the 5W30 oil of 20 years ago.

But of course I don't want to ruin (or take a chance of ruining) my little red sports car. I bought it new, paid cash for it, and I expect to keep this car for many more years.

As an aside: I’m not interested in synthetics, or any other oils. I’ve been using Castrol dino oil for almost 40 years. It’s relatively inexpensive, and I change oil and filter every 3K, or less. I’ve never had a problem with it. I don’t want to change brands, formulations, weights, or anything else. I just want to know about using 5W30 Castrol in my 1988 Celica. I’m getting too old to complicate my life; I want to make it less complicated!

TIA!

use it with no worries. gtx is a good oil

welcome2.gif

GTX, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Motorcraft, Supertech, Havoline, Trop Arctic.....pick the cheapest one at the time. Whatever you do though....

My list of ones to stay away from:

1. Royal Purple
2. Royal Purple
3. Royal Purple

Last edited:
Never heard of anybody storing an 80's Celica before. I love 80's Yotas. I have an '88 pickup.

Rob

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
GTX, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Motorcraft, Supertech, Havoline, Trop Arctic.....pick the cheapest one at the time. Whatever you do though....

My list of ones to stay away from:

1. Royal Purple
2. Royal Purple
3. Royal Purple

LOL.gif
Man some people really hate royal purple here. Maybe you should start a Royal Purple Hater Section
39.gif

I'm not an expert on Toyotas but 5W-30 should be fine for that engine. Celicas are great, bulletproof cars. Especially the older ones without the mid to late 90's sludge prone engines.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I'm not an expert on Toyotas but 5W-30 should be fine for that engine. Celicas are great, bulletproof cars. Especially the older ones without the mid to late 90's sludge prone engines.

As long as you don't run those sludge-prone engines on sludge-prone Pennzoil...

I'm KIDDING!!!

5W-30 will be fine year round. The only thing to check is that oil consumption could increase with a 30 weight compared to a 40 weight. Check oil level regularly (I'm sure you do already).
thumbsup2.gif

If you are only doing 1-2k miles per year on that vehicle, you could likely run that GTX conventional oil quite easily 2 years -- particularly if your mileage is closer to only 1K miles.

As far as your 3k oil changes -- that’s considered a very short oil change for modern conventional oils. Modern conventional's are made from synthetic like Group II base oils. These oils have at least 3x the oxidative stability as the old oils you were using 15 years ago for 3k mile changes. I would say these modern SM (the latest specification) oils will at 5K mile changes perform better than the old oils at 3K mile changes.

It's what I could afford to buy, paying cash, at the time. (While still driving another 'cheaper' car, at the same time).

My brother had a late 70's Celica, and I thought it was a pretty nice sports car, at the time. I wanted front wheel drive, 4 valves per cylinder, and multiport fuel injection. I waited until The Celica had them.

I'm far from wealthy. But I have no debt at all. I paid off the mortgage on my house 9 years early.

I've bought 4 used cars, and 5 new cars. I paid cash for all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back