Can I upgrade this desktop?

I have a MSI Nightblade MIB. It's a small gaming desktop that is 9.25 inches tall. It has an Intel i7-7700, 16 GB's ram, a ITX 1060 sized card with the stupid short lived 3GB's of vram. https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/desktop/global/Nightblade-MIB.pdf

I like the small footprint this desktop has and I really need to upgrade the graphics card. I would prefer to switch over to an AMD CPU but know nothing of the motherboard if it's a proprietary size or not.

I have a MSI Nightblade MIB. It's a small gaming desktop that is 9.25 inches tall. It has an Intel i7-7700, 16 GB's ram, a ITX 1060 sized card with the stupid short lived 3GB's of vram. https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/desktop/global/Nightblade-MIB.pdf

I like the small footprint this desktop has and I really need to upgrade the graphics card. I would prefer to switch over to an AMD CPU but know nothing of the motherboard if it's a proprietary size or not.

Just sell the system as a whole once you have the replacement built.

Given the dimensions listed in the specifications you provided for the system, it may be a miniATX form factor board.
If you have any chance of upgrading with an AMD processor, you have to find a MB that fits that case.
If you like that form factor, you may be better off looking at getting a microATX or miniATX case and MB and starting from there.

I think you would be better off going that direction than fitting all the goodies into your case.

Not easily upgradeable.
build a new mini-itx format computer
sell old one.

Cant upgrade just cpu would need new MB, new power supply, new videocard that fits that case..
also probably new memory. for those reasons its a non-starter to upgrade.

the only thing you could possibly do is upgrade just the video card.. but the 350w proprietary power supply really clamps down on the options.

you could do a 3050 mini which is roughly 2 to 2.6x faster and 8GB ram.-- as long as the power supply has the right connectors

I would hold off and build a new mini-itx computer from scratch when the 4000 series arrives.

Not easily upgradeable.
build a new mini-itx format computer
sell old one.

Cant upgrade just cpu would need new MB, new power supply, new videocard that fits that case..
also probably new memory. for those reasons its a non-starter to upgrade.

the only thing you could possibly do is upgrade just the video card.. but the 350w proprietary power supply really clamps down on the options.

you could do a 3050 mini which is roughly 2 to 2.6x faster and 8GB ram.-- as long as the power supply has the right connectors

I would hold off and build a new mini-itx computer from scratch when the 4000 series arrives.

Smart idea. The Nvidia 3000 series cards have been out a minute, I'll wait until the 4000 series cards are out.

That seems pretty nice overall. Unless you can find a mini GPU better than the 1060, take the components out of that case and put them into a bigger case. Or make your own "case" if you want out of wood or cardboard or something. As was mentioned, the PSU connector could be a problem.

Upgrading just the graphic card should extend the life of this computer, but I would not really do much more to it.

As others suggested it would be better to get a normal mini ITX case that you like and build a new system. You will not be limited to proprietary anything, although being an ITX, you will have to pay close attention to components fitting together as each case is slightly different.

I have this case InWin A1 Plus although I have not built a system in it yet. Got it on sale before Covid with plans to built it for my son, but then prices went through the roof, so I postponed the build.

C2BF791C-E376-4696-8F1F-7FB51B690169.jpeg

Here is another good one and less flashy. Cooler Master NR200

E95BB788-14B4-44DE-A208-F1AE4A337139.jpeg

Just to clarify, motherboards are built for a specific cpu line. The chipsets are specific for that processor class.

You’re likely going to need a whole new case. Newer GPU’s are huge compared to what you have now and any worthwhile upgrade will need at least a 500W PSU.

Back