can i get tires siped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Grooving a tire is different than adding sipes.

I think that's what he needs anyways, sipes are mostly for snow and ice. Grooves will help more in dirt, grass, mud and preventing aqua planing.
I've been tempted to just use the circlular saw set on 1/4" depth on similar tires, or maybe use a metal cutting disc to avoid the square corners at the bottom of the groove?
Cracks may start in the corners if the tires are used aggresively.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I bought some crummy tires last year. They still have 9/32 tread left but all the factory sipes are gone. They were not very deep. Now i just have 3 solid strips on the tire and no traction. Americas tire told me to pound sand as far as warrantying them.
here is how I solved my last lousy tire problem.

1. sell 4 takeoff for $100.
2. Buy new tires.

Originally Posted By: ordinarybloke
Are you sure of the wisdom of this? I mean tyre manufacturers spend millions on R&D developing a tyre, and if it could be improved with an extra groove here or there, they'd do it. It would cost them nothing and improve the tyre.

I can see how more grooves could adversely affect the temeprature characteristics of a tyre for kick-off.

It would be in the mould at manufacture. I have no real understanding of tyre design, so I won't pretend I do, but I am a development engineer, so i have healthy resepct for those that do. Tyres are not just "Black & Round". These people are not fools, and to mess with their design is saying they are. Tyres are safety critcal. Someone is a fool here. Is it me , you or the tyre designers. Before you carry on, be sure the fool is me.

Now this is not a service we see here in the UK, but tyre design is a very complex subject, a black art, so a guy in a shed with a hobby knife or even a 'service' offered to random tyres should set you thinking...

Now, if you're going to do it, do it properly.

Winter tyres...

Tire manufacturers do not typically sipe tires because of the expense. Siping cannot be done in the mold. To create grooves in the mold, rubber has to be displaced. In the case of siping, the sipe, or cut, does not remove any material. Thus, the tire manufacturer has to use a secondary process to sipe tires. And there is the added expense. Typically, the only tires that come siped from the factory is winter snow tires.

The science behind siping is very well established. There are a number of advantages to siped tires, including improved braking and better traction.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Tire manufacturers do not typically sipe tires because of the expense. Siping cannot be done in the mold. To create grooves in the mold, rubber has to be displaced. In the case of siping, the sipe, or cut, does not remove any material. Thus, the tire manufacturer has to use a secondary process to sipe tires. And there is the added expense. Typically, the only tires that come siped from the factory is winter snow tires.

The science behind siping is very well established. There are a number of advantages to siped tires, including improved braking and better traction.

Be very careful here. The term "sipe" is being used for 2 very different things - although the end result is close to being the same.

In tire manufacturing, there are thin blades put in the mold to create an edge. Both the blade itself and the resulting gap are both called "sipes". The term is also used when a knife is used to cut cross ways through the tread of a finished tire and the result is a disconnected bit of tread rubber but with no gap. I'm going to refer to the second process as "aftermarket siping" to distinguish between the 2.

What do sipes do? They provide an edge, which has traction advantages when the traction is being generated by the paddle wheel effect - wet and snow. They also tend to break up the surface tension of water, making it easier to reach the textured pavement.

But that edge comes at the cost of movement - which results in less dry traction, more rapid wear, more heat generation, less fuel economy, etc. Much of the advertising for the process either glosses over these, or flat out lies about it.

Any time a tire is altered, the warranty is void. Therefore adding a while sidewall inlay or aftermarket siping a tire has a certain risk. While most tire manufactures will accept a warranty claim for an aftermarket siped tire for unrelated issues, they will not accept a warranty claim if the process is potentially the cause.

- and, Yes, there are problems that aftermarket siping causes. Rapid wear, irregular wear, structural failures are examples of things that would cause the tire manufacturer to reject a warranty claim.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Grooving a tire is different than adding sipes.

I think that's what he needs anyways, sipes are mostly for snow and ice. Grooves will help more in dirt, grass, mud and preventing aqua planing.
I've been tempted to just use the circlular saw set on 1/4" depth on similar tires, or maybe use a metal cutting disc to avoid the square corners at the bottom of the groove?
Cracks may start in the corners if the tires are used aggresively.

I did it with a knife on my GY workhorse tires. Only took about an hour with a new Harbor Freight Utility knife.

Unfortunately, that did a great job of keeping the snow away. So can't test how / if it improved.

I did contact the manager and he seems more helpfull that the counter guys. Unfortunately at does not have a spining machine any where near here. Im serously thinking of grooving them with my die grinder.

Well a dose of humble-pie it is then... I put winter-tyres on in the season, yet had never heard of siping a standard tyre. Recutting lorry (truck) tyres yes, although I think that is now illegal here, but not siping. It is not something routinely offered in the UK, I suspect because it does not get as cold as it does stateside.

It's is becoming more common, but I'm unusual in that I fit winter tyres, marked M+S (mud & Snow) I think they have a colder compond too. They are declared less grippy over 7 Degrees Centigrade than my all season (Summer) tyres, but I've seen New York in winter (Jeeez) so I don't suppose thsi is news to you!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ordinarybloke
Well a dose of humble-pie it is then... I put winter-tyres on in the season, yet had never heard of siping a standard tyre. Recutting lorry (truck) tyres yes, although I think that is now illegal here, but not siping. It is not something routinely offered in the UK, I suspect because it does not get as cold as it does stateside.

It's is becoming more common, but I'm unusual in that I fit winter tyres, marked M+S (mud & Snow) I think they have a colder compond too. They are declared less grippy over 7 Degrees Centigrade than my all season (Summer) tyres, but I've seen New York in winter (Jeeez) so I don't suppose thsi is news to you!

Either I'm confused or
your whole post is using the wrong terms.

you "winter tires" are all-seasons? this isnt a winter tire.

Your "all-seasons" are summer tires(3 season?)

pretty much any tire could be a Mud/snow tire it has to do with tread geometry not anything special to do with mud or snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back