Can CJ-4 spec oil be used in non diesel particulate filter engines?

I was considering switching to Rotella T6 5w-30 on all my diesel equipment (2 RTV1100s, Kubota M126, 2001 ford 7.3) but i saw a thread on nettractortalk that stated the manual for Kubota says not to use CJ-4 rated oil in non DPF engines. In the Lubricants, Fuel, and Coolant section, it just states CF or better. In the notes section after that it specify CF, CF-4, CG-4 or CI-4 for everything except external EGRs, and CF or CI-4 for external EGRs. I dont quite know what constitutes an external EGR. However, T4 and T6 both include Cl-4 in their specs. Is that all that matters or do I need to find oils that don't include CJ-4? I am probably overthinking this, considering I have ran T4 15w-40 in my 2012 Rtv for about 8 years with no problem, and T6 has the exact same API ratings, that I can tell. Sorry if this has been discussed other places. I looked around the site and didn't see anything quite the same, but I could have missed it.

CJ-4 rated HDEOs are backwards compatible to previous ratings such as CI-4, so yes you can use CJ-4 where the manual calls for CI-4. CI-4 carries soot much better than CF, so that's why you see that language about EGR.

I see that Kubota oil has CJ-4 rating as well. must just be manuals are out of date on recomendations. Thanks for the reply wwillson.

Attached is the oil section from my L2501’s manual. Granted it’s a non DPF tractor, but it’s mentioned nonetheless

Their manuals are terribly outdated. I’ve not seen a straight 20 diesel oil before.. I also find it interesting that CI-4 can be used with emissions equipment, but CJ-4 can’t be used with non emissions equipment. Last but not least, the Kubota 15w40 oil sold at the dealer is CJ-4. Lol

Im currently running 10w30 to be manual compliant. These specs confused me as well. When I asked about it here (where we dwell on what brand of gear oil to use), I was told to not overthink it. It was also brought to my attention that Mobil 1 0w40 is also a CF oil, but since it’s not on the viscosity chart, I’m staying away from it at least for now.

IMO, 5w30 T6 is as well rounded as it gets and aside from the grey areas of the manual, it’s a perfect choice. I could buy it by the barrel and run it in everything I own.

image.jpg
9D13004B-E0E6-4C5F-AE64-8E674201EA37.jpeg

Last edited:
Attached is the oil section from my L2501’s manual. Granted it’s a non DPF tractor, but it’s mentioned nonetheless

Their manuals are terribly outdated. I’ve not seen a straight 20 diesel oil before.. I also find it interesting that CI-4 can be used with emissions equipment, but CJ-4 can’t be used with non emissions equipment. Last but not least, the Kubota 15w40 oil sold at the dealer is CJ-4. Lol

Im currently running 10w30 to be manual compliant. These specs confused me as well. When I asked about it here (where we dwell on what brand of gear oil to use), I was told to not overthink it. It was also brought to my attention that Mobil 1 0w40 is also a CF oil, but since it’s not on the viscosity chart, I’m staying away from it at least for now.

IMO, 5w30 T6 is as well rounded as it gets and aside from the grey areas of the manual, it’s a perfect choice. I could buy it by the barrel and run it in everything I own.

View attachment 32930View attachment 32931
Those are the exact same specs in both my RTV manuals and the M126 manual. It appears that Kubota has a generic oil recommendation that they havent changed to keep up with the times, especially since their own oils are now rated in the CJ-4 category as well, as you said. Im sure I am overthinking switching to T6 5w-40. That is the downside to doing too much research on google, haha.

Those are the exact same specs in both my RTV manuals and the M126 manual. It appears that Kubota has a generic oil recommendation that they havent changed to keep up with the times, especially since their own oils are now rated in the CJ-4 category as well, as you said. Im sure I am overthinking switching to T6 5w-40. That is the downside to doing too much research on google, haha.

If warranty isn’t an issue (since it’s not a listed viscosity), you will have zero issues.

Dad has used 5w40 in his kubotas for years.

Back