Can any OBD software / scanner do a search for the top speed vehicle was driven ?

Let’s say I want to buy a sports car that is in creampuff condition and only driven to church on Sunday.

Can any OBD software / scanner do a search for the top speed vehicle was driven ?

No, that kind of data is for accident analysis, and therefore only covers less than a minute before a major accident event that sets off airbags. So no "all time maximum speed" information is saved.

Some built in GPS’s have a menu/screen where it’ll store the fastest speed it’s ever recorded, granted it’s never been cleared.

But as RooflessVW said, speed isn’t really damaging, over revs are. More of a concern for manual equipped vehicles only though.

Last edited:
Obdeleven on my A4 showed a bunch of data concerning the vehicle and it’s usage. Highest oil level, lowest oil level, lifetime average oil level, current octane in the tank and even lifetime average octane lol and on and on. I never really looked for fastest speed level but I did see that I had done 5 wide open throttle starts in it. I’m sure somewhere in the ecu top speed is stored somewhere.

Funny you mention this, I was having some fun with a SRT Charger the other day and we got a little over the speed limit.
In Mexico of course 😉

I won’t judge, wife and I had the weekend without kids and decided to “cannonball” our 2 hour ride back home…. I managed to save us 30 minutes. Aaahhh the perks of driving late at night! Average of 74mph, nothing too crazy lol
IMG_7883.jpeg

Some may store a code, it does not illuminate the MIL

Code: P1270 - Engine RPM or Vehicle Speed limiter reached

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Engine RPM or Vehicle Speed limiter reached

Wheel slippage (water ice mud or snow).

High engine speed when in neutral.

This DTC may be caused by :

Vehicle driven at a high rate of speed.

no, haven't found that as a parameter anywhere in the engine ecu yet
Thank the creators of the vehicles etc.

Look for code P1270 though. It means "Vehicle maximum speed limit reached, or RPMs put of range." Could mean anything from flooring it in Neutral to doing burnouts to having done a top speed run. I've seen this on the Taurus sometimes.

Also look to see if monitors are complete or incomplete for clues on if DTCs were cleared.

There was an article where someone got a Challenger from the factory and the video claims it had hit 170MPH or something and the dealer said it was a "Test mule" from the factory to make sure everything was good so it was desirable. Not sure if that was bunk or not... (how would they know? Or is it in Snap-On $10,000 scanners somewhere?)

I've deleted when the Ford was setting Code P1270 (max speed seems to be 106MPH) but it will eventually go away. Not sure how long it took but it will eventually clear itself.

Show a mechanic a car with code P1270 and they will assume the car was being raced.

2022 Challenger R/T it has "performance pages". In it is "Top Speed". If you don't clear it, it stays. I'm sure the Chargers are the same.
Can't find the video immediately. Am looking for it but I wonder if prior years had this as well. The model you mention is the same just not year.

Last edited:
I believe on Porsche and others, some dealership devises can identify if the max revs have been exceeded and void the warranty. Not direct experience but did read it as a warning somewhere, so owners beware!

Porsche cars do save a lot of info that can be downloaded by the dealership. The plethora of info stored by my Boxsters little memory is staggering.
It would seem to me though that top speed a car has ever done, really isn't a big deal. So long as the engine, transmission, and diff was warmed up some first, a full throttle run through the gears to top speed should not hurt anything.
Many vehicles have top speed limited as well, to help stop damage to parts, including tires. My new Porsche had to travel 700 kms from the dealer to my driveway, as there are no nearby Porsche dealers here. On the drive home it did a couple of full throttle runs through the first 4 gears, and went over 200 kms/hr. I do not consider that abusive at all. After about an hour into my drive home was a nice long straight stretch and very little traffic. I braked hard to a full stop as nobody was behind me, put it into 1st gear and let the clutch out relatively quickly at about 3000 rpm and once rolling floored it through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, then braked for the upcoming corners. If that hurt it, then Porsche shouldn't even be selling it, because its junk. That little 4.0 liter engine loves to spin, above 3500 rpm its a blast to drive. Car was an hour old, and I wasn't worried if they did a memory search of its computer they would see it, its a sports car, and better be able to handle a lot worse than that.

I was just lucky to find a CPO C43 with a derestricted top speed of 155 mph; otherwise it would top out at a ridiculous 133 mph- just 3 mph faster than my Club Sport- which itself had an idiotic 116 mph top speed(until I installed a Turner/Conforti chip).
Go fast or go home.

When I was younger I’d have wanted P1270 as a personalized license plate.
(My physics teacher’s was TACHYON.)
A tachyon or tachyonic particle is a hypothetical particle that always travels faster than the speed of light.

Back