Can a South Carolina 'Total Loss - Salvage' be sold in another state

There's a trade-in that I have. A 2005 Hyundai XG350. Drives perfectly fine. It has a South Carolina 'Total Loss-Salvage' title due to it being in a minor accident on the front left. I call it the perfect kiss. The place where the front fender, quarter panel, headlight, and hood meet.

It's a perfectly fine vehicle but it would frankly take an inordinate amount of time to change the title to Georgia. We have way too few inspectors and hoops, and a near 20 year old vehicle isn't worth that hassle.

Are there any states that will register a 'Total Loss -Salvage' vehicle once I sell it?

Call to the DMVs of your neighboring states / check out their websites and see what they say. I think it's best to hear it from the source from this question.

I've imported a salvage title truck from SC into VA. I've also done a repaired title car from NC into VA. Repaired title vehicles are much easier to deal with, but in SC there's little incentive to go through the process. (Salvage title can be plated and driven.) Virginia the process is:

0) Starting with a salvage title car from another state.
1) Fix the damage to make it roadworthy.
2) Pass Virginia annual safety inspection, same as any other car.
3) Fill out application, include receipts for repairs and signed over title. Send to Richmond. Wait a few weeks.
4) They do background investigation to make sure it isn't a stolen car being imported.
5) Police inspector comes out. Looks at car. Makes sure not stolen car, not stolen parts. VINs match where they should.
6) Repaired title is issued and put in the mail. You wait a few weeks.
7) Take fresh title to DMV and get plates.

I think NC is similar. SC seems like an oddball in that you can put a salvage title vehicle back on the road without any administrative process as long as it's (barely) road worthy.

Sounds like you need to sell it at a bargain to an individual who is willing to put in the work. Or transfer it back to a dealer in SC who can sell it as-is.

I would call DMV in Aiken, SC and check.

Or maybe sell only to SC residents who can get the vehicle title transferred, registered, and licensed.

What you mention about the "total loss" really is subjective based on the insurance company and has no bearing on the usability of a vehicle.

Always makes me wonder why they want to support the purchase of newer cars. Just because a car depreciates doesn't make it any less usable and the marginal utility remains the same.

Probably insurance companies own automotive stock they have to keep pumping up :)

Back