Can 9007 be Improved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Taurus, I have tried just about every bulb out there(9007), including silverstars, nighthawks, xtravision and vision plus. My vote is that Philips vision plus is the best I have used, followed by the nighthawks.

My 2006 Jetta TDI has 9007 bulbs in both low and high beam positions. It has about the best low beams I have seen lately. The pattern is quite good and the overall brightness is excellent. The high beams are another story, The aim is horrible, and NOT adjustable.

I have seen 9007 bulbs with higher wattage bulbs advertised on the net. Not sure how well they perform.

Chris

I think the Jetta uses H7 bulbs and not 9007.
9007 is SAE only, and not ECE. It would surprise me if an Euro car company chooses it for its products, even for North America.

We have Nightawk 9007s in my wife's 98 explorer. They are a bit brighter. She feels thay are much better. To me, just a bit better. However, they replaced original bulbs which I understand may have dimmed over time.

A poster stated that clear lenses are better. This is simply not true. It is more difficult to design and build a unit with a clear lens. Clear is a styling decision not a lighting decision. The best choice for lighting would be a combination of the focus features of both designs, and some venders have taken that approach.

Richard

A headlight harness is the best first step. You can play with different bulbs after that. I got one from GOS Racing. It has two leads with fusable links for the connection at the battery. They list it for ford trucks but it will work for anything with 9007 bulbs.

Quote:

If you think the 9007 is bad, you should drive a vehicle that takes the 9004. The 9007 is the "improved" version of the 9004 and is, in fact, designed the way the 9004 should have been all along. The 9007 has axial filaments, whereas the 9004 has horizontal filaments like the old sealed beams used to have.

If you're getting poor output and a poor beam pattern, it's simply a poorly designed lamp. The 9007 itself is a well-designed bulb. For an upgrade, I'd choose the GE NightHawks over SilverStars.

thumbsup.gif

Man, the 9004 was in my 92 Elantra. I eventually bought a harness and relay kit from a guy in Alabama (I thought I found him here, but maybe it was Elantraclub), name was Dave I think, anyone know his company? I installed the relay/harness kit, directly connected to the battery for power, and what a difference with stock bulbs, in my case, the Xtra-Visions. Much better. Wasn't losing power to the wiring, and was pulling 1.75 vdc more than without the harness. One thing with my 9004 bulbs was the horrid housing. Their attempt at shaping the cutoff, or maybe focusing the high beam with the lens itself was pretty lame.

This new AccentGT has much improved headlights. 9003 (H3, H4? Someone told me once, I forgot) with clear lens (which is already starting to cloud) and all the aiming and focusing is done with the reflector and bulb. Way too much was done in the old days with the lens rather than proper engineering fo the internal parts, bulb, and reflector.

Oh, and the blue bulbs (including SilverStars) suck.

My
twocents.gif

I replaced the stock 9007 lights in my Durango with Wagner BriteLite bulbs. They look a little whiter than a stock halogen (manufacturer calls them a xenon bulb) but not HID white like the blue tinted bulbs. I'm pretty happy with them. After looking at the GE Nighthawk bulbs, I'm pretty confident to say they're probably close to the same thing. They're a lot cheaper too...Got them at NAPA for 8 bucks a piece. IMHO, best bang for the buck out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back