Camry stumbling issue

I'm not sure how to properly describe this....

09 Camry 2.4, 230,500 miles

It's been cold, below 20 degrees F.

Leaving home, car was warmed about about 1 minute (sits in a garage), I will make my left turn and go up to 40 mph. First, I thought it was due to using cruise control, as the car would do a stumble from about 1800 RPM to about 500 rpm and immediately come back up. It does this twice in succession, at the exact same spot on my drive every day.

I tried two times with the cruise off, and it does the same thing, but seems to be when I coast, but I cannot confirm this.

It's only first thing in the morning, and does not happen when I leave from work. I installed new plugs earlier this year.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Personally, I'd dump in a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner following the label directions and see if that improved things. My guess is a fuel delivery issue if it only happens in the morning.

Also, I'd ensure the air filter was good and clean the throttle body and MAF with the special MAF cleaner spray. Cheap preventive maintenance things. I wouldn't think it's plugs or coils if it only happens when it's cold and overnight.

I assume no codes, would agree with Techron as a first step....but it could literally be a dozen different things on a modern engine.

My 00' Camry was stumbling a few years back on acceleration. Turned out to be a burned spark plug wire. How I got it to set a CEL was by holding the gas and brake pedal at the same time while running, made it freak out and poop it's pants and set a CEL.

Yours being coil on plug, maybe a bad coil? See if you can look at misfire data with a scan tool.

I tried manually shifting this morning and had no issue. I kept it in 3rd gear out of curiosity. When it didn’t do it I shifted to 4th. No issue.

It’s also 32 degrees this morning.

With that mileage, I’m inclined to say fuel pressure too. You’re at that zone when fuel pumps are frail. Do a fuel pressure test before condemning the pump.

Toyota does have an algorithm in their ECU calibrations to prevent early shifts/TCC lockup until the fluid temp is “sufficiently” warm in cold temps IIRC.

They defuel mid-shift. I wonder if the cold temps haven’t been learned yet for how it affects shift engagement, and might be out of sync letting it kick back in.

Ivan - Pine Hollow- Just posted a video of a Captiva cutting out during load and it was the O2 sensor cutting out at random. With that many miles are they the originals?

Ivan - Pine Hollow- Just posted a video of a Captiva cutting out during load and it was the O2 sensor cutting out at random. With that many miles are they the originals?
There is nothing in the Carfax to make me believe otherwise!

VVT system, 3.5 V6 had cam sprocket internal failures around 2008 era and the oil control actuator/solenoids can be at issue too.

Might be a sticky EGR valve. I had that on my old Camry. Occurred in the first months of winter, only on a cold morning. Just a thought.

Back