Camry steering rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 97 Camry with 267K on the odometer. The original steering rack was replaced at 123K. At 185 K, they said that it needed to be replaced again. I protested but they assured me that it needed to be done. Ultimately I decided that the original dealership was looking for things to do so I changed to another dealership. They seemed ok for awhile, but the last two times I've been in for service (262K and 267K), they've said that the rack is leaking and doesn't need to be replaced yet but needs to be watched. Does it seem possible that 97 Camry steering racks need replacing this often?

What brand of steering rack was installed at 123K mi? New or reman?

OE racks tend to be prohibitively expensive to use outside of warranty. Odds are an aftermarket reman was used, and it very well could be leaking now.

The one on my Sienna (I believe they are the same) is weeping a tad but not so much as to need replacing. Over a year or so I can see the reservoir drop a little but not much. So that's my experience.

The Toyota reman ones are done by Maval I believe. You can find them for somewhat less than the Toyota branded one. New ones are very high priced, and not necessary IMHO.

Both times the replacement was with a re-manufactured rack from the dealer. The reservoir didn't go down at all in 5k between oil changes. Would that suggest that I'm in good shapefor a long while? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Both times the replacement was with a re-manufactured rack from the dealer. The reservoir didn't go down at all in 5k between oil changes. Would that suggest that I'm in good shape for a long while? Thanks.

Could be THIS...

With the amount of miles you have i would keep am eye on fluid level if it's not dropping muck or leaving puddles ect.....i would not worry with it

I changed my tie rods a month ago on my Camry. Once I removed the boots for the inner tie rods power steering fluid came out.

This car is specced to use ATF for the power steering fluid. Not sure if this is why it's leaking but I just put it back together.

I'm not sure that the power steering fluid ever gets changed. Toyota doesn't recommend that as a service (lame excuse I know). There are no mechanical symptoms at all. If the dealer wasn't claiming that there is a leak, it wouldn't be on my radar.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
I'm not sure that the power steering fluid ever gets changed. Toyota doesn't recommend that as a service (lame excuse I know). There are no mechanical symptoms at all. If the dealer wasn't claiming that there is a leak, it wouldn't be on my radar.

Well, that could likely be it...the fluid should be changed...every 3-4 years...along with all the other fluids, brake, AT, and coolant....don't think that "long-life" means "life-long" ...a mistake too many make too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back