Camry Hybrid questions

I finally got daring and popped the hood of our new '21 Camry Hybrid. I realize this is a 2AR-FXE and my '11 Camry is a 2AR-FE but I'd think they'd look more similar--but they swapped intake and exhaust sides of the head! Looks very different under the hood.

Anyhow, I was kinda surprised that it has two coolant tanks, looks like one is overflow and the other is pressurized? I've just not seen that before--I've seen pressurized tanks but not this. My VW had a pressurized tank that the system was filled by, but this has a radiator cap so there are three things that could be filled (?). Seems strange to me. I'm a few years from doing a coolant exchange but would it just be, drain radiator, drain pressurized tank, drain overflow, then refill all?

camry1.jpg

Next up: for something that doesn't need to use brakes a lot--that is a huge brake reservoir!
camry2.jpg

What is up with the warning on it though? I don't think I will change brake fluid until spring 2022.
camry3.jpg

[Pic says "High pressure inside brake system depressurize the brake system before inspection, service or replacement."]

I did watch a video on how to release the parking brake, and while I forgot it already, it did not look like brake pad service was all that complicated. [Decent chance I will do that this fall.]

Lastly, obligatory pic of oil requirement. I think once out of warranty I'll go thick and dump in 0W20, not much of a believer in water-thin oils. :cool:
camry4.jpg

Oh is that two separate cooling systems? I just assumed they shared. That would make sense. I barely glanced at the maintenance schedule.

Ah, I should have done that! I just assumed it being next to the radiator that it was connected.

To be honest I felt a bit overwhelmed looking at the car. I'm not sure I really want to service this one. High voltage notwithstanding, it just looks fancy under there.

If you're interested you could watch a YouTube video about a Toyota Camry mechanical review by speedkar99. Yours are a 2021 and 2011 models the ones in the video are a 2004 and a 2019 and neither of the ones in the video are hybrid. It's 20 minutes long and can help with both your knowledge of internal components and the differences between the years of the 2 vehicles.

Link

If you're interested you could watch a YouTube video about a Toyota Camry mechanical review by speedkar99. Yours are a 2021 and 2011 models the ones in the video are a 2004 and a 2019 and neither of the ones in the video are hybrid. It's 20 minutes long and can help with both your knowledge of internal components and the differences between the years of the 2 vehicles.

Link
Thanks! Will watch that later.

Edit: gave it a watch. Glad I don't own a V6! looks like a total pain. Most things on my I4 look pretty easy in comparison. I like the bolt-in wheel bearings, I've been in fear of one going out on my vehicles, I watched them get pressed in/out and decided I was probably not going to do that task (when it occurs).

Last edited:
My 99 GS has a ginormous reservoir just like that. Obviously not a hybrid & that's all I have to add 😁

Fortunately for you this car will likely require little maintenance over it's lifetime.
I hope so! Wife thinks she is going to get 10 years and 200-250k out of this car; I am dubious as I have some fear about all the new tech it has. I could be wrong.
  • 5 sets of tires, maybe more
  • I don’t know if it will need brake pads but it will need 10-15 brake lube jobs as I do that every spring and sometimes in the fall too
  • I like changing brake fluid once a year, so 10 partial brake flushes
  • One set of plugs and I’m assuming it will need a serpentine belt?
  • I tried to run air filters to 120k but I think they are a 50-60k item.
  • I’m guessing 2 or 3 coolant flushes (or at least drain and fills)
  • Transmission is going to need a flush (or three?) at some point.
  • That reminds me, I should order some engine oil filters...
Wife drives 25k a year and I suspect that will tick upwards with time. While she misses shifting she is happy to report that the mpg readout has hit 53 mpg.

I hope so! Wife thinks she is going to get 10 years and 200-250k out of this car; I am dubious as I have some fear about all the new tech it has. I could be wrong.
  • I don’t know if it will need brake pads but it will need 10-15 brake lube jobs as I do that every spring and sometimes in the fall too
Wife drives 25k a year and I suspect that will tick upwards with time. While she misses shifting she is happy to report that the mpg readout has hit 53 mpg.

I might've missed it, but do you have any pics of the new car?
53mpg is awesome!

One set of plugs and I’m assuming it will need a serpentine belt?
Serpentine belt for what? Electric steering, electric AC compressor, built in generator...... I guess i need to poke around a bit more

edit: yup, there's a tiny one in there....

Last edited:
1) it's not an AR-series engine. It is a A25A-FXS (Dynamic force)
2) use the 0w-16. The owner's manual says if it's not available, you can use 0w20 as a substitute and change back to 0w16 at the next oil change.

Why? the A25A has a variable discharge oil pump that is also ECU controlled. The ECU controller is programmed around 0w16.

What oil to use? Well, the Toyota 0w16 is quite stout with tons of Moly in it with a healthy dose of Boron.

I might've missed it, but do you have any pics of the new car?
53mpg is awesome!
Only this one so far. Wife wanted to get a photo of all 3 Camry's at some point.

Serpentine belt for what? Electric steering, electric AC compressor, built in generator...... I guess i need to poke around a bit more

edit: yup, there's a tiny one in there....
That's more than I have done. Since that one should go a long time I have not gone looking for it.

All I know is I chickened out on my '11 and paid a garage to change the two it has. Which reminds me, it's probably going to be due to be done again this year.

1) it's not an AR-series engine. It is a A25A-FXS (Dynamic force)
Oh! I thought I had read it was 2AR. Probably dyslexia, if I read fast then I can read all sorts of things... that aren't right. I stand corrected.

What oil to use? Well, the Toyota 0w16 is quite stout with tons of Moly in it with a healthy dose of Boron.
I tend to be dubious of claims of unicorn oil. Unless if cold 0W16 is thinner than hot 0W20 then I am dubious as to the "need". Quick look also indicates that foreign markets may be allowing a wide range of oil grades for this engine.

These days you change the serpentine belt only when you need to (slip), they can easily last 150k+ now, no timing belt to slip on these so no savings to change the serpentine belt together. Coolant on Toyota are usually 10 years first then 5 year when drain and refill, no need to flush. I would probably just leave the inverter coolant in there for life as there's no combustion to deal with, but if you want might as well change it. ATF on Toyota is just in there for the gear, no need to "flush" just drain and refill is good. There's no valve body like a typical step transmission, I think it calls for drain and refill every 30k. Brake pads will likely be corroded and every 120k-150k on hybrids.

You may need a battery before you can reach 250k, if you are lucky maybe 10 year 250k but most I know get to 12 years 180k or so. A battery by then would probably be 4k including labor and brand new cell / refurb enclosure and electronics on core exchange.

0w16 works because the flow is variable, so oil pump can pump a lot of oil at low rpm and less at high rpm. You cannot run 0w16 in an old school engine with crank driven oil pump. The magic is in the engine not the oil.

Last edited:
I tend to be dubious of claims of unicorn oil. Unless if cold 0W16 is thinner than hot 0W20 then I am dubious as to the "need". Quick look also indicates that foreign markets may be allowing a wide range of oil grades for this engine.
Which country warranties the car in the US? In this case, it's Toyota USA, so you should follow their guidelines. Using the excuse, well Europe, Australia, etc allows use of 0w20, that won't be a valid excuse.

Which country warranties the car in the US? In this case, it's Toyota USA, so you should follow their guidelines. Using the excuse, well Europe, Australia, etc allows use of 0w20, that won't be a valid excuse.
Uh, maybe you missed the bit where I said "once out of warranty"?

Came across this Weber Auto video showing the eCVT operation. Does absolutely nothing for me to avoid wanting one for my own daily driver.

Back