Camping stove: 20lb propane tank adapter

I've got a few of these little Sterno camping stoves. They run on 8 oz butane fuel canisters (pictured below), which is fine when camping, but when using it at home, I'd love it if I could hook the stove up to a regular 20 lb propane tank. Is that possible? If so, can someone please point me to the correct adapter? I'm seeing various adapters on Amazon, but not completely sure which one would work.

Thanks!

SnINlw0h.jpg

How often do you use the stove and do you use it inside?

We had a butane camp stove with somewhat bigger cylinders than what is in the picture. We used it inside for emergency cooking during winter storms. Those cylinders lasted a long time each. I disconnected the cylinder between uses.

If used inside there is a safety factor involved too.

Outside only, maybe once a week.

Yeah, I also had one of those stoves that uses the larger 16 oz propane tanks too, and I still do have an adapter hose for it that I used for hooking it up to the 20lb tank, but that adapter hose does not work with this new stove.

I believe this is the adapter hose that I would need to convert it from the butane tip over to the 1lb propane tip, and from there I could use my old adapter hose to hook it up to a 20lb tank.

However, the connection point at my stove is not threaded, so I'm not sure how I would make this hose stay in place...

g3qxzMMh.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2 burner coleman.. on a 20lb propane tank.. so much better than the pump up fuel.. And boils water super fast.. well compared to my builder grade GE electric stove anyway.

I would consider one of these. It would be easier to do what you want with this.

I've had one of these before (Coleman, I think). The problem with these 2-burner units is that they're spaced too closely so fitting any decent size pans is a struggle. I may have to look for a single burner one.

I also have an electric one, but it just doesn't get hot enough for any kind of serious cooking/frying, especially in the winter.

I have a 2 burner coleman.. on a 20lb propane tank.. so much better than the pump up fuel.. And boils water super fast.. well compared to my builder grade GE electric stove anyway.

I think that's what most people would think of, which is Coleman style propane. I looked it up, and it called the CGA600 connection. That's fine to use a 20 lb tank because it's still propane and it's regulated. But no way would I use propane in a system designed to use butane.

I've got a few of these little Sterno camping stoves. They run on 8 oz butane fuel canisters (pictured below), which is fine when camping, but when using it at home, I'd love it if I could hook the stove up to a regular 20 lb propane tank. Is that possible? If so, can someone please point me to the correct adapter? I'm seeing various adapters on Amazon, but not completely sure which one would work.

Thanks!

SnINlw0h.jpg

It wouldn't be advisable to use propane in one of those stoves. If you could get it to work, it could be dangerous. A 20 lb propane conversion to a 1 lb (CGA600) connection is fine because the device and regulator will be designed for propane. That kind of stove is simply not designed to use propane, which would require a stronger container and will create more pressure in the system that could flare up. Those 8 oz cartridges are meant for use in a common Korean butane cartridge stove. I'd be surprised if your stove and all the cartridges weren't made in Korea. Those things use a universal cartridge where the safety mechanism requires a cartridge to be properly inserted before it will open up. I've seen some fiddle with them before they'd properly light up. Here's a Consumer Products Safety Commission advisory on these.

If you can find an Asian supermarket or maybe even a Korean market, often their prices will be much better. I've seen

REI has this one for $2.

These stoves can be really cheap depending on where you get them. This one is selling for less than $15, but it really depends on shipping.

The same retailer has the cartridges for less than $15 for a case of 12. Occasionally I'll shop at Asian or Korean markets here in California, they tend to be really cheap if you're willing to buy ones with weird names.

REI has this one for $2.

These REI ones is what I used last time, but they don't last as long as the Coleman ones. You're lucky to get 20 minutes of runtime out of it, and swapping them out in the middle of cooking is a PITA, which is why I was looking for another solution. But thanks.

The same retailer has the cartridges for less than $15 for a case of 12.
Yes, and they charge $33 for shipping, LOL!

These REI ones is what I used last time, but they don't last as long as the Coleman ones. You're lucky to get 20 minutes of runtime out of it, and swapping them out in the middle of cooking is a PITA, which is why I was looking for another solution. But thanks.

Yes, and they charge $33 for shipping, LOL!
Yeah - I didn't check the shipping cost. But I guess for a restaurant it might make sense to just have these in bulk where they can be swapped in and out. Maybe for catered events where they might just bring in loaded complete ones and swap them in/out as needed. I've seen these used at hotels with omelette stations.

Still - you could probably find cartridges cheaper at an Asian market if there are any near you. These things are a staple for a lot of Asian restaurants - especially Chinese hotpot places. It may not be that advisable to use them indoors in something smaller like a house, but they're OK in a big enough room with enough ventilation. Theoretically all cartidges should be the same because there's really not much that can be done to screw it up unless they're not loading them with as much butane. Have you tried asking about prices at a foodservice store? We have a few around here, but I'm not sure in your area. Around here we would have Smart & Final, Smart Foodservice, Restaurant Depot (open to the public now), etc.

Still - don't try to use propane. I've heard of conversion for a propane device to use a camping gas (butane or isobutane with up to 20% propane) canister. But a stove designed for propane will easily be able to handle the pressure of butane.

Butane is of course cheaper and generally safer. But its performance isn't as good in cold temperatures. I believe they won't work very well near freezing temperatures. Backpacking camping gas canisters use a little bit of propane to help increase the pressure. However, in colder temperatures the propane will preferentially vaporize and a lot of users find that they stop working when there's still fuel left in the canister. If it's warm enough, they vaporize evenly.

Still - you could probably find cartridges cheaper at an Asian market if there are any near you.
If it can't be hooked up to a 20lb tank, so be it - I just won't use it. I just don't want to bother with cartridges when at home, regardless of their price. $2 for 20 minutes of cooking just doesn't make sense to me. The only time when it makes sense to use catridges is when camping.

unless they're not loading them with as much butane.
Yup, that's basically it. Those KOVEA ones feel lighter, although I haven't actually put them on a scale.

Still - don't try to use propane.
OK. Although I've seen very similar looking stoves that are advertised as supporting both butane and propane:

The main difference that I can see is that the above one has a threaded connector, making it possible to screw on that converter hose.

If it can't be hooked up to a 20lb tank, so be it - I just won't use it. I just don't want to bother with cartridges when at home, regardless of their price. $2 for 20 minutes of cooking just doesn't make sense to me. The only time when it makes sense to use catridges is when camping.

Yup, that's basically it. Those KOVEA ones feel lighter, although I haven't actually put them on a scale.

OK. Although I've seen very similar looking stoves that are advertised as supporting both butane and propane:

The main difference that I can see is that the above one has a threaded connector, making it possible to screw on that converter hose.

Got it. A lot of these things are popular because of the size and ease of use. I suppose if they design one to use propane, that's way different than one designed just for butane. Hydrocarbon gas is pretty simple, but handling pressure is the important thing. It could be overengineered to the point where it's safe, but I wouldn't do it unless it's specifically designed for propane.

I don't have one myself, although I know a few people who do. I still use my Texsport 2 burner propane stove. It was sold as a Target house brand, but out the box it had no labelling except Texsport. I guess I could get a converter for a large propane tank.

Wife just told me we have a single burner propane stove in storage somewhere. The challenge is finding it. :)

I initially abandoned anything with a flame out on the patio because any little bit of wind would blow the flame out. I replaced it with an electric single burner, but as I mentioned, these are just not powerful enough, especially when it's cold outside, so I stopped using it.

There are more heavy duty gas stoves available with better wind protection, but those are hundreds of dollars and I don't want it that badly. :)

Wife just told me we have a single burner propane stove in storage somewhere. The challenge is finding it. :)

I initially abandoned anything with a flame out on the patio because any little bit of wind would blow the flame out. I replaced it with an electric single burner, but as I mentioned, these are just not powerful enough, especially when it's cold outside, so I stopped using it.

There are more heavy duty gas stoves available with better wind protection, but those are hundreds of dollars and I don't want it that badly. :)
What kind? I've got one that mounts on top of a Coleman style cylinder. The cylinder goes into a plastic base for stability. It's still rather tipsy. There's absolutely no wind protection. The other issue is that it can be hard to tell if it's lit during daytime. If the flame is blown out, there's still the sound of gas.

The Texsport one I have is simply but effective. The case becomes a built-in windscreen and there are flaps to screen out the sides.

Those butane cartridge stoves are actually pretty bad outdoors in wind.

What kind? I've got one that mounts on top of a Coleman style cylinder. The cylinder goes into a plastic base for stability. It's still rather tipsy. There's absolutely no wind protection. The other issue is that it can be hard to tell if it's lit during daytime. If the flame is blown out, there's still the sound of gas.

The Texsport one I have is simply but effective. The case becomes a built-in windscreen and there are flaps to screen out the sides.
This is the one that I used to have:

Even with the windscreen up, the flame would still blow out at times. And with windscreen up, only smaller pots will fit.

Those butane cartridge stoves are actually pretty bad outdoors in wind.
The butane one I have actually has some decent protection around the flame, plus it puts out a huge flame which is tough for average wind to blow out, but it's also why I burn though a butane cartridge in no time. :)

It's this one:

15,000 BTU.
Wife found it on some blow-out sale for $10, brand new.

Back