Camp Pendleton

My grand niece, Tatiana, is stationed at Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base near San Diego. This is an incredible place, simply beautiful. The base is beautiful as well, but you gotta know someone to get on! I am very close to Tati; her father passed away tragically about 12 years ago. Here is some shots ot the area over the weekend.
If you have never been to the area, one day you gotta go.
1642547026377.png

1642547061428.png

Do they do bootcamp at Camp Pendleton? I met a guy in a bar spouting off about being a Marine and going to bootcamp in San Diego but he didn't remember the name of the camp.

I understand that Amtrak California's Pacific Surfliner passes through the base property. I've driven through the base on I-5 between OC and San Diego.

I first heard the name watching syndicated re-runs of Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.

Last edited:
Do they do bootcamp at Camp Pendleton? I met a guy in a bar spouting off about being a Marine and going to bootcamp in San Diego but he didn't remember the name of the camp.
I believe female Marines train there, men are sent to Camp Lejeune. There is also combat training. I will have to ask. Others can chime in.

Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island and Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego are it. Camp Pendleton and other USMC bases may be training facilities.

I spent a little time at the Brig in, Miramar (NAVCONBRIG) which is a military prison operated by the U.S. Navy at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in Miramar, San Diego, California. Not so sure it matches the intent of your post :unsure:

It's MCRD San Diego on Camp Pendleton. Now there are about 40 smaller Camps within Camp Pendleton.

Stationed at MCB Camp Lejeune at the hospital and then with a Marine unit going to Desert Storm. Been to Parris Island once, never on the west coast. We called them 'Hollywood Marines".

1642554153809.jpg

It's not anywhere near Camp Pendleton. It's right next to San Diego International Airport. You can see when landing at SAN.

17_Dine_Shop_Play_MCRD_Base_Map_web_1200px_RevApr26_Small.jpg

4377866812_63226842ae_b.jpg

Here's a rare runway 9 approach at SAN where MCRD San Diego is very visible.

Finally, y_p_w got it right.

At the north end of Camp Pendleton when driving Interstate 5 you cross Basilone Rd. Goggle John and Lena Basilone and better yet see the mini series "The Pacific".

Of the 13 killed in Kabul last year, 9 marines and a sailor were based at Camp Pendleton.

Last edited:
Some people feel that your not a 'real' Marine if you didn't do boot camp at Parris Island, SC. Pendleton is prettier though.

Last edited:
Some people feel that your not a 'real' Marine if you didn't do Boot camp at Parris Island, SC.
I have super respect for any Marine and don't know anything about the differences to have an opinion on that. They are all more Marine than me.

Reactions: GON
Back