Camaro Smoothie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody just hit my beautiful, show winner for paint and exterior, baby. Red 2002 Z/28 with a Manual 6 speed, low miles. Not only did they hit the front, they pushed it into my '97 C2500 truck parked behind it, messing the truck bumper up a bit while trashing the rear end of the Z.
Young guy, large water bottle spilled going around the corner, tried to save the H2O, took his eyes off the road and smashed my parked Z head on. Nice guy, respectful, didn't try and run. I couldn't get upset at him. No injuries.
I think I hear a 12 year old single malt calling me.

At least it's not totaled. We've got a good body shop in town (they work on $0.5 million show cars), so they should be able to make a stock Z look like new again.
On a good note, even though I just gave it it's annual clay bar, I hadn't spent a couple of days Zainoing it yet. That's a quite a few hours I would have never gotten back.

Sorry to hear that.

I bought my Caprice, super low milage, and had a low life drunk motorcyclist hit it...took the gloss off ownership somewhat, then last weekend another one kicked a dent into the door.

Doesn't pay to have nice stuff anymore.

That reminds me of when I saw a beautiful older F-150 parked in an out of the way spot at the Home Depot. Some numbnuts didn't put his lumber cart/buggy thingie away in the rack, and it rolled and pushed a 2' dent into the bed of the truck. I bet that guy was [censored].

Just went out and tried to pop the hood to see if the engine compartment looks intact, but it's jammed shut. Driver's side fender is pushed against the tire, so I need to get some separation there before it's moveable.
In the back, besides the bumper and trunk panel being torn up, the hatch now isn't alligned with the fenders.
I see myself getting into a bit of a row with the insurer to get it fixed right. It was in showcar condition when it was hit, and I'm not going to accept anything less in return. I'm not sure I'm going to have an advocate in this one, since we were all insured by the same company, USAA. Oh, and I'm not going to accept anything less than factory part quality, which means no Chinese crud on my car.

Thanks all for the words of support. Maybe now that it's "broken in" i'll start modding it.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Somebody just hit my beautiful, show winner for paint and exterior, baby. Red 2002 Z/28 with a Manual 6 speed, low miles. Not only did they hit the front, they pushed it into my '97 C2500 truck parked behind it, messing the truck bumper up a bit while trashing the rear end of the Z.

Sorry, all I can do is:
37.gif

Originally Posted By: asand1
Track car? It had it's show time, maybe some go time now?

I'm thinking about it. I'm not sure I'd be all that good in the 1/4 mile(although doing that is just about the most fun you can have with your pants on). Depending upon what the adjustor says, I may go ahead and get the Sam Strano suspension package I've been looking at and at least have a great handling car.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Would you like me to send you my spare ClueStick for use on the guy that hit you?

Naw, believe it or not, I felt more sorry for the young man (19 years) than I did for myself. He didn't run, he fessed up immediately, apologized, and showed respect. Somebody has raised him right, he just made a mistake.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like you really handled it rather maturely though, I hope it gets resolved handily.

Thanks. I can have a problem with my temper, but I think I've got a good handle on it now. All it's taken is a number of trials.
I'm mostly angry at myself on this one for parking there - it's the third family car that's been hit at the same spot in front of my house. Ten years ago, #1 son's Honda was hit by a young kid in much the same manner. Three months ago, an older gentleman sideswiped my truck parked there. Hit and run, but he was caught. Then this.

The insurance company isn't going to like it when I bring up diminished value.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

The insurance company isn't going to like it when I bring up diminished value.

Who cares?...they bring it up all the time when the shoe is on the other foot. I had a similar situation with a city truck dropping a load of gravel on the Interstate in front of my 87 944S Porsche.
mad.gif
I would not budge on the complete dis-assembly/paint/undercoat/reassembly of the entire front half of the car at the best Porsche body shop in town. Plus another $3500 in diminished value. It took a few weeks but I got it all.

I think I felt a twinge/pain when this happened (like a 'disturbance in the force').
cry.gif

I know I would be depressed if this happened to mine, and it is definitely NOT low miles, nor in as pristine a shape as yours.

BTW, contrary to popular ricer/euro opinion these cars can be made to handle VERY well indeed with very little suspension/tire work.
Just ask all of those I leave for dead in their supposedly 'superior' rides in their "twisties".
lol.gif
34.gif

Had the tow truck pick it up this AM and went by the body shop. On a good note, the fact it doesn't have any mods, and is in completely orignial condition will help in my insistance to the insurance company that only OEM parts go on it.
The other good news is that just about all aftermarket parts don't fit right, and they will have to use original parts, even if they come from a junk yard.
Doog, the bad news is that there is no provision for diminished value in Nevada law. I'm going to have to do some research on that one.
And yeah, DailyDriver, I love the looks on their faces when they get beat (if you can call it that when it's bus lengths). "How can that car be so fast, it doesn't even have an independent rear suspension?" In a pure cost to performance ratio, I don't think there has been much in history to compare.
If the car is totalled, I'll take the cash, buy back the damaged hulk, and do some serious mods.

Well, I got the first estimate today. $8112.61 using aftermarket, recycled and reconditioned parts. I told USAA I will accept nothing other than OEM parts, and it's like I'm talking to a dead phone. It's their policy to replace quality parts with whatever they can find.
I've brought up diminished value to them, and they sent a form. I'm not filling it out until I speak to an attorney.
The frame is bent, and by the time it's fixed with the OEM parts I will insist upon, and I get about $3-4k in diminished value (I already suspect they will offer $1k) they might as well total the car. Trouble is, after I've steadfastedly refused to accept their policy of using lousey parts, they have already sent the body shop a check.

Ugh, I have always had good luck with USAA. Recycled as in parts off another car? Sometimes those are the best becuase they are genuine GM. What the heck does reconditioned mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back