California winter prepping (for the ski season)

SCC SZ435.jpg

Part 1 arrived via Amazon. SCC Super Z6 cables (need a weekend to test fit them). I gots AWD, so even with crappy factory all-seasons, I'm compliant with Chain Control condition R1 and R2.

Part 2.... after Thanksgiving, gotta see the Christmas season deals to get 3PMSF All-weather tires

and.. R3 means everyone chains up, no exceptions

Test fit, 1 scraped knuckle later... the metal looks awfully close to the alloy wheel.
SZ-435 235-55-20.jpg

Hopefully, I'll have to never install them, and when I do, I'll have a set of 18" wheels with 235/65r18 tires which the chain also fits.

I live in an area that gets almost no snow (maybe 1 or 2 storms a year and its always gone in a day or three). So I've always wondered, how fast can you go with chains on your tires?

Ugh, I’m not a fan of those type of chains. I’d try to find a set of Thule/Konïg or the original Swiss-made Whitestar chains used.

And I’m a hypocrite - I have a set of SCC Z-Chains, the US-made version. Never had to use them but they also felt better than the newer Chinese ones when I did a test fit.

Ugh, I’m not a fan of those type of chains. I’d try to find a set of Thule/Konïg or the original Swiss-made Whitestar chains used.

And I’m a hypocrite - I have a set of SCC Z-Chains, the US-made version. Never had to use them but they also felt better than the newer Chinese ones when I did a test fit.
The ones that actually fit due to the max 10mm clearance between the strut and tire:
Easy Fit... the case is huge and quite expensive.
K-summit... I had on a previous car, quite expensive, but the case size is manageable.
Spikes Spider are also quite expensive, and I rather go with the Easy Alpine, since I hated the hub on one of my previous cars.

So, the XG-12 Pro are not suitable due to the 12mm clearance needed (even though etrailer says it fits) and Konig's new XG Cross are not suitable, as they are made for compact SUV's and Crossovers, according to Konig (yes, I have contacted them).

But it's going to be rare for me to chain up, so cables for fine for compliance.

So, do you do you skiing in Tahoe? How is I-80 these days, if you go that way? When I was there, I remember it being pretty rough with all the snow, ice and plowing...

I found that taking the southern route (come into Tahoe from the south) is a more pleasant drive, although it does take longer.

View attachment 76350

Part 1 arrived via Amazon. SCC Super Z6 cables (need a weekend to test fit them). I gots AWD, so even with crappy factory all-seasons, I'm compliant with Chain Control condition R1 and R2.

Part 2.... after Thanksgiving, gotta see the Christmas season deals to get 3PMSF All-weather tires

and.. R3 means everyone chains up, no exceptions
What about something like this?

Attachments

• FF4BF945-DD62-47BE-8316-FC7325300BFB.jpeg
    FF4BF945-DD62-47BE-8316-FC7325300BFB.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 89DA01F2-D954-498D-ACA1-46BDDB881774.jpeg
    89DA01F2-D954-498D-ACA1-46BDDB881774.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 7
Back