CAFE Standards in the US and Oil Grades

It's the pure play in main battle tank use that bows to possible markets when running the 0W-30. Except for the japanese maybe.
The engines in Japan are ripped out of cars and shipped over seas when they are barely broken in, and all cars do there is cruise around a small island under minimual loads. So running 0W-8 in Japan seems like a good place to do it. Once a ripped out engine in Japan makes it to the USA, it will most likely get thicker oil than 0W-8.

Reactions: SR5
Much less a question of market than with their MBT: 0W-4 and 0W-8 for hybrids, 0W-16 and 0W-20 for the future laden undead. So far these Hondas and Toyotas seem quite fine over here. No noticeable problems on the autobahn. BYD ain't seen yet...

But what about their MBT oils now? We could start up our own narrative over here if theirs used thicker oils than the 0W-30. (For the russian 38.88l
NYCO obviously sells 40s, but these are nearly 100 year old aero diesels in basic design. We can't point to these.)

Last edited:
So I have been running an experiment. For the longest time I ran 5W-20 synthetic - typically Pennzoil Full Synthetic Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. In fact, the car has seen nothing for synthetic oil its entire life. I recently switched to Amsoil SS 5W-30 and I am surprised that there has been no change in mileage.

I have religiously tracked the mpg for the last year and here are the results:
5W-20 PP - 6112.5 mi tracked, 37.7 mpg average (includes daily driving and a trip to NJ in January 2020)
5W-30 Amsoil SS - 3342.4 mi tracked, 37.9 mpg average (includes daily driving and a trip to OH in Nov 2020)

You would think that if one were to keep similar driving habits you would see the 2 to 3% drop in efficiency, but I definitely don't notice a difference and therefore sticking with the 5W-30.

What's even more interesting is that this run with 5W-30 Amsoil SS has been entirely on winter blend fuel, which should drop the efficiency even lower. There is potential that the Amsoil SS overcomes losses in efficiency due to the higher moly content.

So I have been running an experiment. For the longest time I ran 5W-20 synthetic - typically Pennzoil Full Synthetic Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. In fact, the car has seen nothing for synthetic oil its entire life. I recently switched to Amsoil SS 5W-30 and I am surprised that there has been no change in mileage.

I have religiously tracked the mpg for the last year and here are the results:
5W-20 PP - 6112.5 mi tracked, 37.7 mpg average (includes daily driving and a trip to NJ in January 2020)
5W-30 Amsoil SS - 3342.4 mi tracked, 37.9 mpg average (includes daily driving and a trip to OH in Nov 2020)

You would think that if one were to keep similar driving habits you would see the 2 to 3% drop in efficiency, but I definitely don't notice a difference and therefore sticking with the 5W-30.

What's even more interesting is that this run with 5W-30 Amsoil SS has been entirely on winter blend fuel, which should drop the efficiency even lower. There is potential that the Amsoil SS overcomes losses in efficiency due to the higher moly content.
It’s not 2-3% difference between a 20 and a 30-grade, where did you see that listed?

And no matter what it is you’ll never discriminate it from the background noise in everyday driving as you note. Way in the noise.

Since we are still free and unmonitored to purchase the oil of our choice, why not use 40 or 50 weight and just forget about the perceived slight that has been stamped on your oil fill cap causing so much angst?

I think I misspoke, I believe in the late 90's the EPA put out a review of the literature and noted overall a 1.5 to 2% reduction in efficiency with a 5W-30 vs 5W-20 oil. The analysis definitely denoted a reduction, but yes it is in 'noise' regime.

I can't find the publication right now though.

Last edited:
The engines in Japan are ripped out of cars and shipped over seas when they are barely broken in, and all cars do there is cruise around a small island under minimual loads. So running 0W-8 in Japan seems like a good place to do it. Once a ripped out engine in Japan makes it to the USA, it will most likely get thicker oil than 0W-8.

I take it you have never been to Japan?

Found an example of one of the studies.

"These oils resulted in 1.0-2.2% gains in combined fuel economy (average 1.5%) over a typical GF-2 quality SAE 5W-30 oil."

Reference oil used in economy tests have, usually, been 10w-30 conventional.
Based on the wording of this abstract, it sounds like the directly compared 5W-20 vs 5W-30 as they note that there is no FE difference during cold start up and the warming cycle, which makes sense.

Looks like they also looked at friction modifiers - Mo giving a 0.5% additional bump.

1GR-FE in US specs for 0W-20 while the rest of the world you can use 10W-30, 15W-40 and even 20W-50.

Attachments

• 1GR-FE Oil Viscosity.jpg
    1GR-FE Oil Viscosity.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 4RUNNER oil viscosity .jpg
    4RUNNER oil viscosity .jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 44
1GR-FE in US specs for 0W-20 while the rest of the world you can use 10W-30, 15W-40 and even 20W-50.
Where did you find that manual and for what year is that? It also list the 3URFE which is the 5.7L and it also lists 15w-40 compatible for that engine.

Where did you find that manual and for what year is that? It also list the 3URFE which is the 5.7L and it also lists 15w-40 compatible for that engine.
i found that pic on a 4Runner site.

i did find a manual for the 4Runner stating the use of higher visc. i'll post the link in a few.

that image was from a 4Runner site.

here's a link to a manual. page 426 i believe.

And what's your point with that comment?
That you don't know what you are talking about...just a guess. As someone who has seen more JD vehicles than most in the US...yes, they look pretty good, but range from almost spotless to sludged up. Because their cars are practically forced off the road after 7 years (and why they are exported to NZ), almost zero maintenance is done. Yes, they look far better than the same year car in NZ, and usually are, life is tough here and cars get used hard, but almost no maintenance will have been done.

Back