CAFE costs are mounting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Worse yet - my '88 Mazda 323 got 40mpg in it's early days and 38mpg in 2008 when I sold it. Now you have to have a state of the art high tech high cost hybrid to get that same mileage.

Gov't central planning. Really discouraging.

I dont think many people are aware of how far fuel economy dipped in the 90s and 00s vs the mid to late 80s for the same make and model of car as they got heavier and heavier.

There are still few to no cars that get 80s era fuel economy.

http://www.ridelust.com/mpg-wars-1989-honda-crx-hf-vs-2009-toyota-prius/

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I don't think anybody WANTS higher gas prices.

However, if higher fuel prices today are what it takes to get to a sane and sustainable energy policy for tomorrow, then I'd rather have a little bit of pain today than greater pain tomorrow when we don't have the fuel (pick your reason, war, we run out, middle east just doesn't want to sell to infidels anymore, China bought it all, etc.)

If you can guarantee as much fuel as we want for $0.299/gallon, I'm all ears. But having fuel priced cheaply, but exactly zero fuel available isn't a viable option either.

No body wants high prices. But we also don't want zero supply. Zero supply of the current fuel, or viable alternatives is not a pretty picture.

But what is the sense of artificially raising the price? What is this "sane sustainable energy policy" that is supposedly needed? And how is artifiicailly raising prices going to make it happen sooner or better? If and when oil is really in short supply, which will be a gradual process, then the market will dictate alternatives. t's not zero supplly or $5+/gal gas. Wh ymake it be an extreme either or propostion?

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I'm not a fan of CAFE but I'm definitely against the idea of increasing gas tax for the purpose of controlling consumption or changing vehicle choices. Is CAFE really costing manufacturers that much anyway? According to NHTSA,

"Since 1983, manufacturers have paid more than $590 million in CAFE civil penalties. Most European manufacturers regularly pay CAFE civil penalties ranging from less than $1 million to more than $20 million annually. Asian and most of the big domestic manufacturers have never paid a civil penalty".

First off $590 million is peanuts relatively over 28 years. We are talking a $1 or $2 or so over the number of vehicles that had to been produced over 28 years. Also it says European manufactures regularly pay the penalties. That doesn't sound like such a bad thing to me. And Domestics have mostly never paid penalties. Now there might be more to it, but it doesn't sound like CAFE is costing consumers much, especially if they buy Domestic or Asian.

I'm sure there are a lot of other cost to the manufacturers to meet the CAFE standards. The worst problem with CAFE is how it dictates and ever increasing and unrealistic increase in fuel economy. I just don't think we need CAFE as it is presently being done. They could change it/lighten it's requirements or something similar. An automaker already is subject to paying the price for being heavy in high fuel consumption SUV when prices increase. It sure costed GM a few years ago.

I'm not for CAFE since it is artificially manipulating the market. But the idea of the need for a higher gas tax which would not only manipulate the market but cost the poorest lots of money is the worst idea one could come up with. At best it is a solution in search of a problem, and at worst a scheme to take more from those that have the least. Let supply and demand dictate prices and behavior.

You touched on it yourself, and you are right. The fines are just the visible costs that the manufacturers have to bear. There are also the hidden costs that the consumer funds on every vehicle purchase. Development costs and the like to meet the CAFE demands that get passed on to the consumer, higher prices on lower mileage vehicles that are in demand to subsidize the lower demand higher mpg models also cost the consumer.

Depending on which source you choose to believe, I've seen estimates in the range of $150-$350 per vehicle in added cost as a corporate average. There are certain makes and models where the projected cost is much higher.

But see, this part I don't really have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with paying the development costs for more fuel efficiencey, and I don't even have a problem really with larger, higher consumption vehicles costing more to subsidize the more fuel efficient vehicles. You have a choice to buy either vehicle and to be on the plus side of the subsidy. I'm more against the general concept of CAFE dictating what should be manufatured instead of letting the market decide. But raising gas taxes is manipulating the market as well and penalizing everyone.

Quote:
But please, also keep in mind, this is at current CAFE levels. The REAL problem here mechanix is the huge jump that is proposed in the current CAFE standards. Up until now the increases have been relatively attainable and remained somewhat relaistic, not due in any small part to large amounts of lobbying by the manufacturers. But these new proposals...well they are flat out stupid. They are to big a jump for the current mix of technology and market demand to achieve. Some in power are out there talking about numbers in the 60's by2025, thats crazy, even the number in the 40's will be impossible to achieve without major changes in market demand or vehicle choice.

These new numbers and the size of their increase makes any comparison to the relatively sane increases we saw in past almost irrelevant. These new proposals are game changers that eclipse anything CAFE has tried to do in the past.

And this is the part I am most against about CAFE and I touched on earlier in my post. And I would assume it is what most automakers are against. This is probably why they want to jsut do away with CAFE altogether because it is a tool that can be used to effect change in extreme and draconian measures. It might be reasonable now but not in the future. But see, getting rid of CAFE and replacing it with a gas tax is just a transfer of risk to everyone else. A gas tax would go the same route and become draconian. Once you agree that it is OK to tax gasoline so the "right" amount is being used (or the right vehicles are being purchased), it will keep increasing until the sky's the limit.

Well, the King has spoken...and he thinks it should be set at...drum roll....56 mpg!

Pure pie in the sky unnattainable number at the current level of technology and market demand. The ONLY way to achieve these kinds of numbers will be to severely limit the consumers choice by some means.

Even if the manufacturers were able to build a few cars each that met these standards, it would require that they sold in numbers far outstripping the more common consumer choices at this point. Our market would have to make wholesale changes in the cars they wanted to buy...at a rate that will never happen at the cheap subsidized gas prices we currently enjoy.

White House pushing 56 mpg average by 2025

Well, you can have a car that gets 56MPG, but it will be very light and very expensive. Of course, very light means it won't fair so well in a high speed crash, particularly with a heavier vehicle. And of course, very expensive speaks for itself.

It really amuses me when I see legislators mandating something like this that involve laws of physics and technological development. It's not quite an ludicrous as a legislature mandating that PI = 3.0, but it's getting close. It's particularly amusing given that the average Congressman, Senator, or President is more likely to have a law degree than anything else and most have almost no understanding of science and technology. Yet, that does not seem to impair their ability to simply decree something into existence like this.

So let it be written; so let it be done. Pharaoh has spoken.

From the manufacturers perspective, it wouldn't even matter if they could produce 56 mpg cars...as the sales numbers would have to be astronomical to offset the sales of trucks and SUV's and larger less efficient cars.

Realistically, the 56 mpg average would require that cars be developed that achieved somewhere in the range of 60-80 mpg to even come close to offsetting the larger sales numbers of less efficient vehicles. And at the same time the numbers for trucks and SUV's and larger cars would have to be in the range of 30-40 mpg to make the numbers work.

Good luck with that...the only people who think that is achievable are the idiots who believe that cars can run on water, that 100 mpg carbs exist or that Detroit hides better technology in service to the oil industry.

This is just simply...not doable...under current market demands.

It's a job and industry killer...[censored] bureaucrats.

I better buy a couple el cheapo cars now, and store them. Because the prices are about to sky rocket.

Do "they" ever consider that auto makers are about at their limits in technology advances toward fuel economy?

The center's study, released Tuesday, predicted it will cost between $3,744 and $9,790 per vehicle to develop and produce cars that meet a range of between 47 and 62 mpg — a span being considered by federal regulators — by 2025.

This is a pure propaganda [censored]. I actually drive a car everyday that gives me ~55MPG in city (Toyota Prius) and paid only $3000 more than Corolla and got a whole more car the money. Besides, the fuel saving alone will pay the difference in 4-5 years.

People need to wake up from their dreams and realize that oil will be all but practically gone in 15 years. There is no need to commute in SUV or pickup truck.

Define "average" for us...lol

Even with Prius sales, Toyotas Corporate average is right around 31 mpg.

Tell me how does Toyota reach a 56 mpg corporate average going forward...maybe you think we should all be forced to drive a Prius, regardless of need?

You guys don't get it. This has nothing do do with physics or president’s grasp of reality, or whether it is attainable or not.

The grand master plan is for the unwashed masses to not afford personal transportation, period. The more wealthy ones will be limited to electric at an astronomical cost and only the elite will have access to gas.
Next step is to tax all carbon emissions, just in case some wise guys decide to keep their old cars forever.

...maybe you think we should all be forced to drive a Prius, regardless of need?

I hate to say it, but when oil is $300-500 the free market will force you to something like that. I know people resist changes though.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

The grand master plan is for the unwashed masses to not afford personal transportation, period.

Could you please share with up who the Master is?

Oh, I get it...thats why it upsets me so much.

These numbers are not designed to improve efficiency, they are designed to kill off an industry...or to drastically change buyers habits or choices through economic means.

What gets me the most, is that poll after poll shows fairly strong support for these measures.

As always, we are our own worst enemy. We need to wake up, and take back control of our government from the bureaucrats that can affect all our lives with the stroke of a pen. The voices that know are being drowned out by the pencil necks who fear their own shadow.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

The grand master plan is for the unwashed masses to not afford personal transportation, period.

Could you please share with up who the Master is?

This is your answer, especially the bolded part, they are your master:

Quote:
Oh, I get it...thats why it upsets me so much.

These numbers are not designed to improve efficiency, they are designed to kill off an industry...or to drastically change buyers habits or choices through economic means.

What gets me the most, is that poll after poll shows fairly strong support for these measures.

As always, we are our own worst enemy. We need to wake up, and take back control of our government from the bureaucrats that can affect all our lives with the stroke of a pen. The voices that know are being drowned out by the pencil necks who fear their own shadow.

...maybe you think we should all be forced to drive a Prius, regardless of need?

I hate to say it, but when oil is $300-500 the free market will force you to something like that. I know people resist changes though.

Hey, I agree that we need a comprehensive energy policy....although I highly disagree with your 15 year timeline, I do agree that the day is coming.

I just want a federal policy that reflects reality and current technology combined with current buyer habits. If the feds are bold enough to mandate these pie in the sky numbers, then let them tell America the truth. Let them proclaim their goals of having choice and safety limited by legislation rather than putting the onous on Detroit and squeezing the industry to try and force the changes the feds want to see in the market.

The federal governments actions here are intellectually dishonest, they are trying to force market demand by putting the manufacturers in a cant win position.

Doom and gloom, no one can predict 15 years old.

A Prius doesn't cost any more than a regular car and gets that kind of mileage already.

People are just going to have to give up the trucks and SUV's, so they will cry, tough. Trucks used to be made and driven by those people who actually needed them, you know for work. Now yuppies buy these $50k jacked up 4x4's to haul air. I won't miss that because now they will build trucks for those of us who work with them again, they will be cheaper, and lower, and simpler.

Last edited:

Hey, I agree that we need a comprehensive energy policy....although I highly disagree with your 15 year timeline, I do agree that the day is coming.

I just want a federal policy that reflects reality and current technology combined with current buyer habits. If the feds are bold enough to mandate these pie in the sky numbers, then let them tell America the truth. Let them proclaim their goals of having choice and safety limited by legislation rather than putting the onous on Detroit and squeezing the industry to try and force the changes the feds want to see in the market.

The federal governments actions here are intellectually dishonest, they are trying to force market demand by putting the manufacturers in a cant win position.

The feds don't have to mandate anything, they just have to make fuel more expensive.

Fuel needs to get expensive slowly enough so that people can adjust. IE get more fuel efficient vehicles and move closer to work or to cities with good public transit. Fuel spikes like we are seeing now are not good for the economy, but it should be federal policy to make gas $6-$8 a gallon by 2020 through taxation.

Back 100 years ago most cities had a good trolley network which we ripped up in the 50's since gas was cheap and the car was the future. These trolley networks serviced the suburbs at the time, before cars.

We also need to invest in high speed rail projects from the major cities and tell the airlines to go stuff it. I'm not talking about the [censored] slow trains we have now, I'm talking about a 300mph train like they have in China. This would reduce the need for air travel, and road travel. One between Boston, Philly, NY, DC, etc would cover a lot of the east coast.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Doom and gloom, no one can predict 15 years old.

A Prius doesn't cost any more than a regular car and gets that kind of mileage already.

People are just going to have to give up the trucks and SUV's, so they will cry, tough. Trucks used to be made and driven by those people who actually needed them, you know for work. Now yuppies buy these $50k jacked up 4x4's to haul air. I won't miss that because now they will build trucks for those of us who work with them again, they will be cheaper, and lower, and simpler.

Reality.

If this 56 mpg standard is adopted trucks will cost more, they will not be cheaper or simpler at all. That is an absurd asumption.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The feds don't have to mandate anything, they just have to make fuel more expensive.

Fuel needs to get expensive slowly enough so that people can adjust. IE get more fuel efficient vehicles and move closer to work or to cities with good public transit. Fuel spikes like we are seeing now are not good for the economy, but it should be federal policy to make gas $6-$8 a gallon by 2020 through taxation.

Back 100 years ago most cities had a good trolley network which we ripped up in the 50's since gas was cheap and the car was the future. These trolley networks serviced the suburbs at the time, before cars.

We also need to invest in high speed rail projects from the major cities and tell the airlines to go stuff it. I'm not talking about the [censored] slow trains we have now, I'm talking about a 300mph train like they have in China. This would reduce the need for air travel, and road travel. One between Boston, Philly, NY, DC, etc would cover a lot of the east coast.

If they dont need to mandate anything, then why have they continually made these demands on the industry?

If you hadn't noticed, that is exactly what Detroit has been saying for years. Abandon CAFE and let the price of gas more closely reflect it's true cost. Are you saying that you would support higher gas prices in addition to CAFE standards?

Wouldn't that amount to the government not only mandating efficiency levels as well as gas prices? Sounds like a whole lot of mandates for a statement that starts out proclaiming no mandates are required...lol.

We dont need no mandates.....except...

Lets mandate that local and state governments invest in rapid transit.
Lets mandate higher gas prices.
Lets mandate corporate fleet efficiency.

FTR, I agree that the price of gas and it's relation to the market and it's choices is the key. But I would never propose higher gas taxes unless CAFE were abandoned or at least rolled back until the market adjusted to the new gas prices.

I find the attacks against CAFE irrational.

It's time for us to be serious about vehicle efficiency. I wish my cars got better MPG. Would have saved a fortune during this past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back