Cadillac 4.9 spark plug replacement??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be doing spark plugs on a 95 Deville for a guy I know. How difficult will this be? Any insight anyone could give me?

...you'll need to pull the upper engine mount and put it in the second bolt hole... These are a pain to work on other wise...Once in the proper slot they are not too bad to work on. You'll need some extension and u-joint adapters...and some bandaids when you bash your fingers...

There's nothing too special about it. A '95 doesn't have the old style fenders that crack if you lean on them.

Have appropriate tools on hand and you'll be fine. What you want is a short spark plug socket, a couple of very short extensions, a decent flex-head ratchet, and some padding. It's also a good idea to have a blow gun with a long flexible nozzle because it's not the easiest place to reach in with a stubby blower on a hose.

The worst thing, really, is that the engine is so far back and the car sits at a reasonable height for a traditional sedan. Have a padded fender cover or an old towel handy so you can sort of lay down with your weight on your chest so you don't fatigue your back when doing the back four. Alternately, jack the car up so it's at a more comfortable working height. Of course, if you have a strong back or long arms that won't be a concern anyway.

Was easy as could be. Didn't even move the engine forward.

I did a water in the vacuum booster decarb and then let the engine cool down to ~100* before pulling the plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back