Cabin Filters (NSFB) not safe for BITOG

We were visiting my wife's cousin a few years ago. She took us for a drive in her Honda minivan. There was little to no air circulation so I suggested we check her cabin filter. She was not aware that there was one.

The removal was a little different from my Accord but we eventually figured it out. The filter was pretty dirty, and with the change the air flow improved dramatically.

We recently contacted her to see if she was keeping up with cabin filter replacements and she was. Sometimes people just don't know.

07 to 14 GM Tahoes & Yukons don't come with a CAF. When I found this out 2 yrs ago I installed a kit Dorman #200-259 retrofit kit in our 07.

Replacement filter elements are: Dorman# 259-001 or ACDelco CF193C or GM 23101674 or Premium Guard PC9957

2003 Toyota Highlander 99k miles.
I'd guess original. This had some weight to it.
A bit of, what looks like, hair top left.
Museum piece? Lots of history in this one.
Off to forensics.
CAF 23.jpg

Cabin filter coupe.jpg

This one one from my Gen Coupe. Couldn't keep one in it in the winter because of the mice. Had the bottom of the fuse box under the hood full of flower seeds one year.

Finally started feeding feral cats and the cured the problem. Chipmunks too.

I think the 2nd filter has gone through puberty.
I may smoke some depending on what gender it is assigned.
I like your sense of humor. On a serious note, of all the CAFs you check, approx. what % look like the pictures you've posted vs. ones that look fairly clean?

I like your sense of humor. On a serious note, of all the CAFs you check, approx. what % look like the pictures you've posted vs. ones that look fairly clean?
We find some very dirty CAFs. Many 1st time customers are unaware that there vehicle is so equipped.
I'd say 50% of 1st timers have some very filthy filters. Repeat customers filters are reminded of the need for inspection
based on mileage, time frame and the amount of debris that has gathered on the cowling below the windshield.
We routinely will remove loose debris (tap on the trash can) on a filter that is relatively clean.
You should see what you find when you open some gloveboxes............

I changed both mine last week. Both been in two years. I don't drive much and one is summer the other winter.

But the Gen Coue was again filthy had hole chewed in it. The Accent as barely dirty with just a few leaves.

With the Gen Coupe there is a definite flaw in the air ducting as they are getting in from inside the car. The heater core is a big heat sink (high point open flow for turbo cooling) as the engine cools down and that what they go after I guess. The Accent is not like that with the heater core down low..

Certainly not a 1st place filter but.......
This was from a 2019
CAF 8 11 23.jpg
CAF 8 12 23.jpg
Hyundai w 100k miles.
Probably OEM.
A bit of a pain the A$$ to access especially when the glovebox is overstuffed with a virtual array
of stuff that most would not have in their glove box.
When I found the drivers registration behind the door she was thrilled.
She said the condoms were not hers.

of all the CAFs you check, approx. what % look like the pictures you've posted vs. ones that look fairly clean?
20% loaded -however, only one as loaded as these lulus, 80% with just a "zone of grime" with some bits of leaves/insects.

Once out, I ain't puttin' any old one back in.

And after my most recent CAF replacement (family member's car), my CAFCI (CAF Change Interval) is now a strict 30K.

20% loaded -however, only one as loaded as these lulus, 80% with just a "zone of grime" with some bits of leaves/insects.

Once out, I ain't puttin' any old one back in.

And after my most recent CAF replacement (family member's car), my CAFCI (CAF Change Interval) is now a strict 30K.
I recently replace the CAF in my Forester after 50k miles. It wasn't bad at all, but I do mostly highway miles in a non dusty environment, and don't park under any trees. I plan to replace it again in another 50k miles or so.

In most cases, folks do not even know that their car has a cabin filter. My friend kept telling me, I change the air filter regularly until I pull the cabin filtero_O
Honda and Toyota have easy access cabin filter. It's in the glove compartment. But **** Volvo you have to disassemble the head unit to change the cabin filter. Not many people are willing to do that.

IMG_5447.jpeg

Out of a 2021 Highlander. I asked my coworker Danny boy in the bay next to me why he left his lunch in someone’s car 😂🤣🤣. We kid around all the time it makes it really fun. We are actually having a contest right now by Subaru whoever can get the dirtiest cabin filter gets a pizza party they let us participate too since our dealership is so big. Yes the customer did end up buying this. I’ve seen bird seed in filters before but never this much. This thing was heavy to carry. We sent our new service advisor out to sell it. I think she was a little grossed out lol she acted like it. There was a dead mouse in the engine air box. He might of brought all this in. Yesterday we had one someone took out with 5 living baby mice in it. We felt bad about the mice having to be set free but they can’t live in someone’s car.

View attachment 179652
Out of a 2021 Highlander. I asked my coworker Danny boy in the bay next to me why he left his lunch in someone’s car 😂🤣🤣. We kid around all the time it makes it really fun. We are actually having a contest right now by Subaru whoever can get the dirtiest cabin filter gets a pizza party they let us participate too since our dealership is so big. Yes the customer did end up buying this. I’ve seen bird seed in filters before but never this much. This thing was heavy to carry. We sent our new service advisor out to sell it. I think she was a little grossed out lol she acted like it. There was a dead mouse in the engine air box. He might of brought all this in. Yesterday we had one someone took out with 5 living baby mice in it. We felt bad about the mice having to be set free but they can’t live in someone’s car.
You win!

View attachment 179652
I took apart my engine compartment fuse box one time and the bottom of it was crammed full of flower seeds from a nearby flower bed.

I'm normally pretty good but somehow my sons Forte didn't get changed in about 4 years (less than 30k). I did have 2 knee surgery's and worked 6 days a week during that time. Lots of details slipped.

Nothing like the ones here but for me embarrassing. Now what's worse seeing all these or knowing how many vehicles I had that didn't have one.

My FIL's Renegade you need to undo like 10 different bolts to drop the glove box to change it. Quite a PITA.

Forte CAF.
IMG_3032.jpg

My 2010 Genesis Coupe has some sort of flaw that allows the mice into the top of the cabin filter. I'm better off not using one.

Here's my Gen Coupe and Accent after about a year. Stored in the same place.

Road surface Asphalt Gas Tar Composite material

Textile Rectangle Road surface Wood Grey

Back