Cabin Filters: Microgard 4031 vs Fram CF11183

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at O'Reillys yesterday picking up some of the Havoline Syn they have on clearance when I remembered I was overdue on my cabin filter, 10,000 miles overdue to be exact. The only CF they had in stock for my Durango was the Microgard for $9.49. The employee offered to order a WIX but this store is 15 miles outside of my normal driving area so I opted for the Microgard.

My previous filter was a Fram CF11183 with the supposed-ed Arm and Hammer carbon and baking soda combo. Thinking back over the past 40,000 this filter has been in use, I couldn't remember an incident of smelling any reoccurring outside odors. Simply put, it did its job well.

I pulled old Fram out and compared it to the Microgard. The Fram feels double the weight of the Microgard. The Microgard had fewer/thinner pleats and flexed significantly over the Fram. The Microgard is new so I can't speak on how well it filters long term but considering the weigh difference and lack of carbon particles, I don't expect it to perform like the Fram.

The Microgard was $9.49 and is rated for 12 months or 15,000 miles. The Fram cost me $22.17 in August of 2015 and is also rated for 15,000 miles. Mine had 40,000 miles of use and was still trucking along without a hitch. Amazon and WalMart currently have the Fram listed at $29.59, respectively.

Even with the jump in pricing, I see myself buying the Fram in 12 months and running it 30,000 miles for my next CAFCI (cabin air filter change interval.)

The fram filters are junk IMO. They are heavier as they are full of junk that does very little but reduce airflow. Many cars have smaller cabin filters and ones like fram can cause a fair amount of lose of air flow.

Does anyone remember dying in a car that did not have cabin airfilters, lmao,,,,see the USA in your 57 Chevolet...

To me a K&N cabin filter would be the way to go. Clean it once a year and save some cash. It mostly keeps out the pollen and large debris, not like what you would need to keep out for an engine air filter.

Microgaurd is made by wix.
I had a chance to look at them side by side at oreillys. They were identical.
Actually,good quality too.
Mine was for a 2011 equinox and the price difference was huge (pricing error i think)

I've been running a Fram CAF for the past 20k miles. On recirc, I notice a certain smell coming out of the vents; hard to describe but it's there. I thought it's from the charcoal or baking soda-infused media but shouldn't that be odorless? Doesn't happen when on fresh air.

Next time around, I will use the cheapest filter from Rock Auto. I don't have allergies and want high flow on those dog days of summer.

Last edited:
Rock Auto Pronto cabin air filter.
Built very light and gives maximum air flow.
$4.00 and up depending on the vehicle.
I change mine every June.

Usually there's not much nice I can say about GM stuff, but the cabin filter in the Chev Impala seems to have a
pleated stiff Nomax like material that looks entirely solid, yet it's porous to air. Pores so small, I found
no dust in the air plenum below!. (plus it's $50+ at the dealer)

So I tapped out the dirt, vacuumed it, some compressed air too and put it back!

The 'carbon infused filter' I bought on sale will stay in wrap for a while longer!
smile.gif

I'm using a Microgard 4018 in my Explorer. I don't have any complaints. I replace My Cabin air filters every 5k (when I change the oil). Engine air filters every 10k (every other oil change).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back