C7 Corvette track toy and weekend cruiser what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see plenty of new Corvette C7 at the track running 0w40 or 5w40 without any issues. If you have no mods and need to keep the car under warranty then 15w50 would be the clear choice.

The new Corvettes we see at my speed shops are getting modded and the warranty is out the door as well and we use Royal Purple 5w40 over 0w40 because 5w40 contains synerlec.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
If GM says 15w-50 for track use, keep that in the sump all of the time. It never gets cold enough in Texas to worry about it.

^^^^
This. Just what I was thinking. It is a no brainer. Texas does not get too cold for 15W-50 and Mobil 15W-50 is an outstanding oil.

If it were up north in the winter it would be a different story.

I don't see why you wouldn't just keep using the Mobil 1 15W-50, sounds like a good plan to me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
+1 15W-50 ...And the 0W-anything logic completely eludes me unless you're in Canada

The logic is that the best quality M1 just happens to be the 0w-40. We don't get a choice for 5w-40 that also meets mfg Euro specs. And even though it's 0w, it actually has equivalent/poorer cold start capability in the 20F-50F range than M1 5w-30. Unless you're starting your car down at -30C to -40C in Texas, it really doesn't matter much if it's labeled 0/5/10W or even 15W. The 10/15w will probably give you more cushion on the first couple of seconds following initial start before oil pressure is up.

I guess I'd vote as well for 15w-50 for your tracked car. With 3,000 miles and plenty of heavy track use, you might just shear this 50 grade down to where the M1 0w-40 VOA starts out at.

Thanks for the input everyone, M1 15w-50 it is.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The M1 15w-50 should treat you well. Get a UOA if you'd like. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Just like my old Camaro I plan on doing a UOA every ~3,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back