C&P-NAPA Gold 1372, 8600mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Walmart should start carrying Wix. They would be a dollar or 2 cheaper I bet

Not up here, they wouldn't. I wouldn't want Walmart to even consider touching Wix filters. I haven't bought a filter from Walmart since the late 1980s, and I don't plan on resuming now.

The cynic in me actually wonders how much Walmart Canada is to blame for the Purolator issues. Off topic, of course, but a couple years back, Walmart decided to get rid of the Fram stuff and bring in Purolator, including Classics, PureOnes, Bosch Premiums, and Synthetics. Their pricing was worse than Fram, which is appalling given the amount of expensive marketing Fram does, but that's beside the point. In any event, when Walmart Canada started stocking Purolator stuff, none of the traditional Purolator suppliers, including parts networks for shops, had anything close to a reliable supply of Purolator filters for North American and Japanese applications.

NAPA Canada had none of their Bosch Premiums available. Special order with no ETA was the SOP. The Worldpac group was out of luck, aside from the German stuff. I know the Canadian market isn't that big, but I wonder how much pressure was put on Purolator to ramp up production. Then, Walmart Canada bailed and put the Frams back out anyhow.

Hmm well I honestly believe puro is improving. I believe they were sincere when they. Said they were gonna need up their media. It just takes a while for a large Corp. Or company like Mann hummel to get it done. I imagine just a simple change like that will cost millions after testing and all implementations.
Large companies become sorta like the government. To big to be efficient very quickly. Bad comparison I know as the government. Jacks up everything they touch but sorta kinda like that.
I can agree that Walmart has led the way of coorpratism and outsourcing to cut prices if that's what your getting at.

who knows,.. they may improve but im finished with them until im 100% sure they improve but even then we now use Wix and with the large amounts we buy with the other two shops we are getting them for the same price as the filters that are known for tearing so we probably won't look back.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
who knows,.. they may improve but im finished with them until im 100% sure they improve but even then we now use Wix and with the large amounts we buy with the other two shops we are getting them for the same price as the filters that are known for tearing so we probably won't look back.

Without some kind of formal statement from Purolator stating they fixed the media tearing problem, people will still not trust them because they will have no way of really knowing they were fixed. That's a big black mark on Purolator's part. Maybe after a year or two of no reported failures people might think they are fixed.

Here in nj there is no orileys auto parts as far as i know... We have napa, auto zone and advance and a bunch of smaller private places. It would be nice if they open here in NJ

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
I can agree that Walmart has led the way of coorpratism and outsourcing to cut prices if that's what your getting at.

I'm not really suggesting that Walmart wanted a dumbed-down product at a significant discount. I just suggest that the logistics of supplying every Canadian Walmart with a decent selection of Classics, PureOnes, Synthetics, and Bosch Premiums in a very short time frame was too much for them. It clearly was too much, since every other traditional supplier of their products was made to wait. Perhaps production was ramped up in a careless fashion.

The Canadian market isn't that big, but clearly Purolator was overwhelmed by Walmart Canada to the point they couldn't serve their other customers. And yes, I hope they are improving. But, now there is a quandary. First off, Canada lags at getting the newer product. Secondly, I cannot buy any of these products off the shelf and be able to check a date code. The only Bosch stuff that's readily available, for instance, is the German stuff. Most everything else is online ordering (or Purolator stuff made for someone else).

Essentially, I had complete trust in the idea of a PureOne or Bosch Premium before. I trust that any issues will be fixed. With all the filter cutting going on here, we're going to very likely find a range of dates where things have become "safe." But, I simply cannot physically pick up a Purolator PureOne or Bosch Premium filter and examine a date code.

I have to order online and hope that I'm not getting old stock or ordering a problematic part number. Essentially, ordering a Bosch Premium online right now makes about as much sense as ordering milk online.

ZeeOSix says it clearly. I'm fairly certain the product will be fixed. I have no idea when it will be fixed. I have no idea when all the old product is off the shelves. And I'm very certain that Purolator won't take the old product off the shelves themselves. If I call warehouses and ask them to check date codes and say I won't buy a $5 filter unless I know the date code, they'll think I'm nuts and a waste of time. So, what's the answer? I buy something else, that's the answer.

You, me, and anyone else is free to dislike Fram as much as we want. But, when Walmart Canada couldn't move the Purolator stuff out the door, Fram came back at a moment's notice, without disrupting every other supplier in the country.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That filter looks terrible, but then again, I don't think it was made for 8000 miles.

Do you think the appearance has to do with the oci or the cold temps?

This saw cold starts as low as -14f (-25c).

Was also going to ask about the Bosch premium.

Have there been reported issues with the distance plus?
I ask because that's what is onboard now for a 10k oci.

I think the Distance Plus is a safe bet. Of course, it's just about impossible to purchase in Canada. Walmart Canada had the Purolator Synthetic, but it left with all the other Purolator stuff, and I have no idea where to get it now, either. The normal channels just have the regular Bosch Premiums, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back