C-130

There was an A400 test flying over my head a few days ago. slow speed/high AOA and other stuff. Either training crews on the new plane or acceptance testing as we're in the middle of taking deliveries

I’m curious what happened to collide with 1,3,&4 but skip prop 2. I can imagine colliding with the pair but hitting opposite props ends of the wing with no apparent other damage is interesting.

I'm just as curious... my learned speculation is the F35 got stuck on the drogue and whipped about colliding into 3 of the KC130 props...

I'm just as curious... my learned speculation is the F35 got stuck on the drogue and whipped about colliding into 3 of the KC130 props...
Now I'm curious. Are you speculating a refueling hose held an F35 and whipped it all the way to the #1 engine on the other side of an airborne C-130?

Are we sure that third prop didn’t get damaged from the landing?

At this junction we don't know for sure how the 3rd prop got damaged but what is so perplexing is the norm that prop strikes during belly landings tend to damage more than one blade...

PropStrike2.JPG

Now I'm curious. Are you speculating a refueling hose held an F35 and whipped it all the way to the #1 engine on the other side of an airborne C-130?

There is mounting speculation that #1 prop was damaged in the air and not on the ground... like if the pilot had 2 out and 2 burning chances are they would have the option of a emergency landing on a runway...

I think we agree the pilots have some explaining to do...

Last edited:
I’m sure it will all come out in the investigation. The pilots and crew did their best to get that plane down in one piece and have everyone walk away. I would hold off on the blame until the story is fully known.

Has anyone seen the video of the Blue Angels flying the F-4 Phantom gassing up off a KC-130 ?

Talk about excellent piloting skills of the Phantom pilots. (y)

How many blades on #1 look damaged?

Hard to tell given the long distance grainy photo but what is clear the 6 blade Dowty composite prop is unserviceable with only 5 blades...

Its clear the pilots ditched short of a runway... that suggest they
only had 1 good and 3 props out... because if they had 2 good and 2
out they would have exercise C130 2 engine out procedures for a
emergency landing at the nearest runway... I couldn't find any 3
engine out procedures...

C130vF35B4.JPG

Last edited:
In my 4 engine experience, a 4 engine airplane running on only one is in big, big trouble. You can fly a 4 engine airplane on two, though weight, drag, configuration, temperature, altitude, etc. severely limit performance and you may not be able to execute a go-around on two engines.

However, with only one engine running, you've got, at best, 25% power. Even with a clean airplane, you may not have enough power to stay airborne. That one engine is getting you a flatter glideslope, but it may not be able to maintain level flight.

Further, with airframe damage, and/or propeller damage, there will be more drag, and my gut feeling is that the C-130 was descending relatively rapidly, even with that one engine at full power (torque).

Hard to tell given the long distance grainy photo but what is clear the 6 blade Dowty composite prop is unserviceable with only 5 blades...

Its clear the pilots ditched short of a runway... that suggest they
only had 1 good and 3 props out... because if they had 2 good and 2
out they would have exercise C130 2 engine out procedures for a
emergency landing at the nearest runway... I couldn't find any 3
engine out procedures...

View attachment 32686
I'll help you out, it's more than 1 damaged. Now, please tell me how far you're gonna fly with #3&#4 INOP (or 2&3 in a hypothetical) and how many 2 eng approaches with any combination of eng out you've done. I'll give you a hint, the loss of 2 generators has nothing to do with this scenario.

I'll help you out, it's more than 1 damaged. Now, please tell me how far you're gonna fly with #3&#4 INOP (or 2&3 in a hypothetical) and how many 2 eng approaches with any combination of eng out you've done. I'll give you a hint, the loss of 2 generators has nothing to do with this scenario.

Mercy Bam I'm going to fly a lot farther if the F35 had collided with
just 2 of my props than 3 of my props as suggested in this scenario...
the notion the damage to #1 prop was ground not midair related is on shaky ground...

Mercy Bam I'm going to fly a lot farther if the F35 had collided with
just 2 of my props than 3 of my props as suggested in this scenario...
the notion the damage to #1 prop was ground not midair related is on shaky ground...
I haven’t seen anyone but you talking about damage to #1 while airborne. Can you point me toward any sources?

I haven’t seen anyone but you talking about damage to #1 while airborne. Can you point me toward any sources?

Report me to rumor control for I'm the source of #1 airborne damage speculation... it just stuck me with 3 & 4 gone the lost of 1 means you may not have enough power to stay airborne... also see the fuel dump??? the left boom pod is missing... its possible during this midair what fouled the prop also collide with the boom pod...

c130vf35b3-jpg.30453

Last edited:
Back