Bypass "valve" PSI???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The psi rating of the oil system doesn't enter into the situation. We're looking at the differential pressure between the clean side of the filter and the dirty side, a.k.a. psid, or delta p. If the oil pump is putting out 50 psi, and the outlet of the filter is 48 psi, we have 2 psid pressure drop across the filter. That's what the bypass valve is looking at.

When I spoke with a Baldwin tech rep, they said that the engine manufacturer sets several parameters for the filters, bypass differential pressure being just one.

Some filter media will allow flow more easily than the OEM media, some may be more restrictive. All this will effect the decision on the bypass setting, the filter makers know all this, and they don't readily share that info.

Ken

Quiz (kinda sorta)
confused.gif
:

Given: OEM oil filter oil bypass "valve" is 16 PSI (built into filter)

One aftermarket filter at 20 psi bypass pressure relief, the other aftermarket filter at 12 psi - which aftermarket filter is better???

OK - In theory, the "valve" ONLY will open when the filter media will not allow oil to pass for whatver reason. Clogged, cold, etc. How often does this happen? I don't know...but not too much if you are using the right oil visc. for ambient and your oil is not too nasty.

I'm thinking a lower psi one is "safer" in several aspects, keeping lube flowing etc - but does it open "prematurely" and allow crud to circulate?
The higher psi valve, does it stress things (pumps o-rings, etc) when the filter goes into "clog" mode?

Or are these numbers so far under the PSI rating for the oil system, it doesn't matter?

THANKS FOR THE WISDOM!
bowdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back