BYD may come to the US via Mexico

Happy to have BYD show up here - The key to every relationship is reciprocity.

They should
1. Build and hire Inside the 50 states not Mexico. (just like our companies in China)
2. Transfer / Turn over all software and manufacturing knowledge to us (just like with our companies in China)
3. They become subject to the UAW. (just like we are subject to their labor laws when in China)

Aside from that. Go to town.

Let's see what you really have in terms of product, reliability, and support.
They only have some form of surface protection on visible parts (one sided paint), everything else is bare untreated metal.

In our nation of rust (aka not Australian desert) I would expect 1970 Fiat levels of coorsion.

They also (on EVs at least) have devices that are normally residing inside the cab or trunk of the vehicle instead located exposed to elements in the open hood, reliefs , and electrical interconnects don’t meet normal weatherproofing specs which would lead to a 2001 Dodge ram like set of issues where certain base functions fail in wet weather after a couple years.

Should have Monroe or similar do a full teardown, I know there is one college that imported one and is in the process of breaking one down to the wires and circuit boards but I don’t trust them as being much more than an amateur/hobbiest level of scrutiny, *note- previous tear downs aren’t fully public (paywall with vested interests)

Ah well, give it a few months, I already saw the teaser and am waiting for the bare metal teardown.

Last edited:
They only have some form of surface protection on visible parts (one sided paint), everything else is bare untreated metal.

In our nation of rust (aka not Australian desert) I would expect 1970 Fiat levels of coorsion.

They also (on EVs at least) have devices that are normally residing inside the cab or trunk of the vehicle instead located exposed to elements in the open hood, reliefs , and electrical interconnects don’t meet normal weatherproofing specs which would lead to a 2001 Dodge ram like set of issues where certain base functions fail in wet weather after a couple years.

Should have Monroe or similar do a full teardown, I know there is one college that imported one and is in the process of breaking one down to the wires and circuit boards but I don’t trust them as being much more than an amateur/hobbiest level of scrutiny, *note- previous tear downs aren’t fully public (paywall with vested interests)

Ah well, give it a few months, I already saw the teaser and am waiting for the bare metal teardown.
But many customers only care about price. Not quality or nationality.

Why some modicum of regulation is important.

Why some modicum of regulation is important.
Rust proofing and water proofing aren’t directly legislated, so a manufacturer can certainly make insta rust cars and use modules that aren’t properly designed for water intrusion

God knows Hyundai, Mazda and Dodge were guilty at various times and sometimes they got away without a recall. (Looking at Dodges ecm that was located below a water channel with vertical power plugs that would fill with water)

But many customers only care about price. Not quality or nationality.
On the other hand buy a Tesla and get low quality, in some cases built with parts of unknown or hidden origin. This is a good article describing the issues and how Tesla blames the owners

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-musk-steering-suspension/

Then there is this...

What is the TUV report for Tesla?

According to the latest report from TUV SUD, the fault rate of a Tesla Model 3 will surpass the average after being used for two to three years. The vehicle was ranked at the bottom of the TUV 2024 report with a fault rate of 14.7%. TUV SUD is a Germany-headquartered company offering testing and certification services.Nov 20, 2023

On the other hand buy a Tesla and get low quality, in some cases built with parts of unknown or hidden origin. This is a good article describing the issues and how Tesla blames the owners

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-musk-steering-suspension/

Then there is this...
So what are the findings of this investigation?
If these cars are so bad why are they so popular? You understand Teslas are generally rewarded as Top Safety Pick by the groups that do this.

My car was made 10 miles away in Fremont and has been perfect. In 2018 it was the most made in America car you could buy at any price. Here's the results for our 2018 Model 3.

So what are the findings of this investigation?
If these cars are so bad why are they so popular? You understand Teslas are generally rewarded as Top Safety Pick by the groups that do this.

My car was made 10 miles away in Fremont and has been perfect. In 2018 it was the most made in America car you could buy at any price. Here's the results for our 2018 Model 3.
People are generally stupid when it comes to cars, as a car the Tesla is not a great car from the get go, it is mediocre at best. People buy them just to be stylish nothing more IMO.
The model 3 lost its top pick safety rating and no Tesla is a stand out over a host of other vehicles. IMO Your car is hardly a good example of durability, it has less the 20K in 6 years, lives in perfect weather conditions and is not subjected to daily fast charging. The TUV on the other hand sees the cars three years from new and every 2 years thereafter.
Skilled engineers inspect the cars that are driven in real world environments from headlight to tail lights, they will find the defects and rate the cars, the Tesla cars are on the bottom.

People are generally stupid when it comes to cars, as a car the Tesla is not a great car from the get go, it is mediocre at best. People buy them just to be stylish nothing more IMO.
The model 3 lost its top pick safety rating and no Tesla is a stand out over a host of other vehicles. IMO Your car is hardly a good example of durability, it has less the 20K in 6 years, lives in perfect weather conditions and is not subjected to daily fast charging. The TUV on the other hand sees the cars three years from new and every 2 years thereafter.
Skilled engineers inspect the cars that are driven in real world environments from headlight to tail lights, they will find the defects and rate the cars, the Tesla cars are on the bottom.

Check your sources. From NHTSA; there are many others.

2024 Tesla Model 3/Overall NHTSA safety rating
5 star

cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/7ZmqYJ/0:0:1439:1080/202...

We expect the 2024 Tesla Model 3 to retain excellent crash test safety scores. The Model 3 earned a five-star safety rating from NHTSA, including five stars in every category.

Two different sources, which one is correct or more believable who knows. I don't own one so it makes no difference to me.
The answer is in the numbers. There will always be true examples of problems. Regardless, the truth can be gleaned from the numbers if one chooses to be objective. Just as your career was a Master Automotive Technician, mine was in predictive analytics. You can make numbers and examples mean anything you wish. But the answers are there if you choose to be objective.

Numbers are the language of Science; the language of the Universe.

First comes style and price, next reliability but safety comes in 3rd or 4th, if even that. Competition is wonderful. Im not a sedan person and Tesla looks sedan generic to me even if it is labeled something else. I have nothing against the company, just the egg shape, it was cool back in time at some point.
As a comparison in my taste IF an electric would be the new Equinox type of style, EV 6 or similar .. and only as a second car.

I tow a boat and that is where the Chevy Traverse is the golden goose for us. Plus no battery to recharge for a primary car.

First comes style and price, next reliability but safety comes in 3rd or 4th, if even that. Competition is wonderful. Im not a sedan person and Tesla looks sedan generic to me even if it is labeled something else. I have nothing against the company, just the egg shape, it was cool back in time at some point.
As a comparison in my taste IF an electric would be the new Equinox type of style, EV 6 or similar .. and only as a second car.

I tow a boat and that is where the Chevy Traverse is the golden goose for us. Plus no battery to recharge for a primary car.
If you have a little time, and feel like it, perhaps take a short test drive in the Highland. The Model 3 has grown up. No stalks, though. I assume you have driven a Model 3, right?

@Trav - if you have any inclination, I would be curious of your thoughts on the Highland as well. Thanks in advance.

Wow. BMW faired poorly.

"BMW also fared badly, its X5 and X6 SUVs, 5- and 6-Series sedans, wagons, coupes, and convertibles and its 2-Series Active- and Gran Tourers also showing up on the ‘worst’ list." What in the world.

"The older the vehicles, the higher the defect rate: 28.9% of 12- to 13-year-old vehicles failed the technical inspection, but only 5.7% of two- to three-year-olds. This is similar to last year’s figures. A total of 15,000 vehicles were directly immobilised because they were found to be “dangerous for road use”." - And this is why no TUV levels of inspection in the US.

Last edited:
Should corn be planted and harvested by hand?
Good question - I mean not the literal question, but the implied argument that there's a balance between employment and efficiency.

I don't know what the right answer is (or answers are), but do believe that it's not sustainable for a country to have a (dominantly) service economy. There must be some manufacturing.

As others have said, the playing field is not level at present. I try to buy products made onshore or at least in the 1st World, but that's often not even an option any longer.

But we've also done it to ourselves, by buying cheap junk rather than more expensive better-quality products.

Wow. BMW faired poorly.

"BMW also fared badly, its X5 and X6 SUVs, 5- and 6-Series sedans, wagons, coupes, and convertibles and its 2-Series Active- and Gran Tourers also showing up on the ‘worst’ list." What in the world.

"The older the vehicles, the higher the defect rate: 28.9% of 12- to 13-year-old vehicles failed the technical inspection, but only 5.7% of two- to three-year-olds. This is similar to last year’s figures. A total of 15,000 vehicles were directly immobilised because they were found to be “dangerous for road use”." - And this is why no TUV levels of inspection in the US.

I like the TÜV a lot they really give the car a good going over. I miss the brake dyno test that precisely measures the function of each wheels brake, not like some jamoke on tv test driving the car, slamming on the brakes then looking at the rubber stripes on the road, what sort of crap is that?
They look for fluid leaks, rust, worn suspension parts and bushing, brake hoses and fluid hard lines, shocks and struts and a hot brake fluid temp can be tested by a bounce test for a few euros more. In the US I would say 99% of the stuff I work on would fail miserably.
Tesla has some real safety issues they refuse to recall but instead blame the customer, it seems they went out of their way to earn their 111 out of 111 ranking.
News of the NPRA inquiry, which has not been previously reported, follows a Reuters investigation published Wednesday that exposed how Tesla has blamed drivers for frequent failures of suspension and steering parts that it has long known were defective.
Facing soaring warranty costs, Tesla sought to slash spending on repairs in part by attributing the failures to "driver abuse," according to the report, which was based on thousands of Tesla documents and interviews with former employees, including service managers and technicians in Norway.

It is a real shame when a low end company like Dorman comes out with an improved Tesla part.

Unlike the Tesla plastic arm assembly, our upgraded arm design prevents stress cracks and knuckle separation by utilizing a much stronger stamped steel arm. To help prevent damaging corrosion and moisture intrusion, this design eliminates the plastic cap to allow water to evaporate, and the arm is electrostatically coated.

I like the TÜV a lot they really give the car a good going over. I miss the brake dyno test that precisely measures the function of each wheels brake, not like some jamoke on tv test driving the car, slamming on the brakes then looking at the rubber stripes on the road, what sort of crap is that?
They look for fluid leaks, rust, worn suspension parts and bushing, brake hoses and fluid hard lines, shocks and struts and a hot brake fluid temp can be tested by a bounce test for a few euros more. In the US I would say 99% of the stuff I work on would fail miserably.
Tesla has some real safety issues they refuse to recall but instead blame the customer, it seems they went out of their way to earn their 111 out of 111 ranking.

It is a real shame when a low end company like Dorman comes out with an improved Tesla part.

Ya. TUV is definitely more thorough. I dug deeper in their publications and like the US their fleet is getting old (10 yrs) and because of that and the economic climate they're seeing an uptick in failed inspections overall. Especially with regards to oil leaks.

Good question - I mean not the literal question, but the implied argument that there's a balance between employment and efficiency.

I don't know what the right answer is (or answers are), but do believe that it's not sustainable for a country to have a (dominantly) service economy. There must be some manufacturing.

As others have said, the playing field is not level at present. I try to buy products made onshore or at least in the 1st World, but that's often not even an option any longer.

But we've also done it to ourselves, by buying cheap junk rather than more expensive better-quality products.
This viewpoint is as old as the industrial revolution. Through history mercantilism has attempted to shield workers by creating winners and losers while the majority becomes poorer. The market is fluid. Businesses flourish and perish. You can't protect everyone from competition. Humans being tribal look to protect "their own" whomever that might be at any given moment.

Interesting economic news out of Mexico.

(Paywall)

"Is Mexico responding to U.S. pressure—or maybe to threats from Donald Trump—against Chinese electric-vehicle manufacturing south of the border? That’s the takeaway from a Reuters report Friday citing unnamed Mexican officials who say that Mexico is halting its practice of giving incentives to vehicle manufacturers and “putting on pause any future meetings with Chinese automakers.”

If Mexico pulls back on subsidies designed to woo Chinese investment in EVs, it may provide a little goodwill on the country’s balance sheet with the U.S. But it’s unlikely to satisfy powerful American steel, aluminum and auto interests lobbying for greater barriers to free trade in this election year. While Mexico has the attention of the U.S. press, the real spat is about the World Trade Organization and the protectionist catchall “national security.”

American politicians on both sides of the aisle seem eager to conflate Chinese EV production in Mexico with the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA. The idea is to denounce anything made in Mexico, as if the U.S.’s southern neighbor and one of its largest trading partners is an enemy.
This is a sop to Big Labor and to the grievance brigades in swing states who pine for the protectionism of the 1980s. It’s also dishonest and dangerous and threatens to drag the U.S. economy back into the destructive 1930s era of the Smoot-Hawley tariff.
In February Nikkei reported that Chinese EV manufacturer BYD was scoping out options for a plant in Mexico. At a March rally in Ohio Mr. Trump took aim at the news.

“Mexico has taken, over a period of 30 years, 34% of the automobile manufacturing in our country,” he said. “Think of it. It went to Mexico. China now is building a couple of massive plants where they’re going to build the cars in Mexico and . . . they think that they’re going to sell those cars into the United States with no tax at the border.”

"
Mr. Trump says he’s ready to make it 100% on China cars made in Mexico. The Commerce Department has launched an investigation into what it calls the “national security risks of connected vehicles, specifically PRC-manufactured technology in the vehicles.” In following up on the news from Mexico last week, Reuters reported that “a White House spokesperson said [President Biden] will not let Chinese automakers flood the market with vehicles that pose a threat to national security.”

I don’t know about you, but I can think of a lot of ways that China can spy on the U.S. and a car, which is today a computer on wheels, is hardly required. This is raw protectionism. It’s bad for the innovation and competition that is good for Americans and none of it has anything to do with the USMCA."
"

Make Americans Poorer Again (MAPA)

Back