Buying used tires??

Any information would help. I found some 275 60 20 General Grabbers Hts60 for $365 for 4 tires for 2017 RAM. I am planning on going to look at them tomorrow. He only had them on his new truck for a month until he upgraded to new rims and tires. Could anybody tell me what to look for besides tread depth? Thanks.

A lot of people will warn you about buying used tires, but I think they're nuts. If they look good on the outside, check the inside of the sidewall for any damage from being driven on flat. Also look for any patches or plugs, pretty easy to spot when the tire is dismounted.

I personally don't care about the date code unless it's ancient. It's about the tire, the wear amount, uneven wear, the price to value, the usage I'm going to give, and my application.

Make sure they've been stored out of the sun, or heat in a garden shed. Sounds like the tires could have been sitting around for 4 years which is OK if they've been stored properly.

How long have they been stored? Where have they been stored? When were they made? Looks like you can get them for 1/2 new price.

I wouldn't do it but many people do.

Originally Posted by mannymachine
Any information would help. I found some 275 60 20 General Grabbers Hts60 for $365 for 4 tires for 2017 RAM. I am planning on going to look at them tomorrow. He only had them on his new truck for a month until he upgraded to new rims and tires. Could anybody tell me what to look for besides tread depth? Thanks.

if the story this guy tells you in true, these tires should be like new. Then they are a deal. Look at date code, then you should be good to go. I did something similar on so Michelins, about 1/2 price and they have been perfect.

If tires are new or nearly new, I aim for 1/2 price. There is little reason to pay more. You don't get a guarantee.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I personally don't care about the date code unless it's ancient. It's about the tire, the wear amount, uneven wear, the price to value, the usage I'm going to give, and my application.

This, a few years old on the date code are fine. What JLawrence said.

Like Kestas said, there's no guarantee so up to all 4 tyres could have bulges and not safe for use. How much is that risk worth for you? If they are still on the rim and inflated the risk is much less.

Check them over and if you can't find unusual wear, repairs, or dry rot buy them. You likely saved 500-900 if the tires are in good shape.

I've bought quite a few sets of used tires over the years. All seasons, snows, etc. I've never had a problem with them.

Like said above, the date code is meaningless to me unless I suspect they're very old tires.

The only problem today is sourcing a place that will mount and balance them reasonably for you. $25/ea seems to be the low end now.

Worst case they have some type of shifted belt or internal flaw that you feel going down the road and it was all for nothing. Again- I've been lucky never having had that happen to me.

I've purchased plenty of used tires. They just don't seem like a bargain as (in my experience) there is always one that gives trouble, the shorter lifespan and same mounting costs. HOWEVER, purchasing a set of rims/tires as removed from a new vehicle (that has been upgraded) is a great way to get a deal. There are plenty of people who install larger wheels and tires right after purchasing a vehicle. I've had great luck doing this. Plus good info from the owner of the upgrades.

Last edited:
If they're unmounted, look inside at the scalloping. Should not be any breaks-- if there are, it was run flat.

Back