Buying oil on price - Pricing Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why folks rant about Wal-Mart. Unless you have been living under a rock you know what Wal-Mart is like. Don't like the store don't shop there. It ain't rocket science.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Not sure if you have item pricing law in your state. But in mine, I would have forced them to give me the price on the sticker. Would have cited state law.

Also don't agree with the rant. The standard Walmart policy is not to price match anymore. It's been gone for a while. You can't get mad at them for a policy that doesn't exist. The store and online are two different things. Not Walmart's fault if you don't know that.

Not sure if they do - but they literally took a picture of the shelf that showed a stack of oil on it at the lower price, and then a picture of the shelf that had it at a higher price, and said that since it was priced higher on the other shelf, they wouldnt honor.

Regarding price match, sorry, not sure how anyone is really supposed to know.

Per here:
https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/deals/walmart-price-match/

Apparently they started it in 500 stores, then added 300 more (out of what, 5000?), and people cant know which do and dont. Apparently per the same link, WM did announce it. Given that I avoid most WMs (there are some in the middle of nowhere that are nicer, granted), was I supposed to know? And google "walmart price match" and the first thing that comes up is this:

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31/~/walmart.coms-price-matching-policy

So Im supposed to know about a policy they set up in an unlisted set of stores in 2016, via blue paper flyers... And then Im supposed to recognize walmart.com as a separate and distinct retailer from walmart? When the product I am looking for plainly stated that it was in stock in the B&M store and that I could pick it up today? OK.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I get a kick out of going to WM.I enjoy walking around seeing what is new.The people don't bother me.Just people.
I will not support Amazon because they have taken too many jobs away.
At least WM hires folks locally.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that one is less evil than the other. Amazon hires people locally, too. Have you seen their warehouses?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that they're evil. It's a capitalist society. They all exist to make a profit for their shareholders.

As a shareholder, I've found it very profitable. I don't have a problem shopping either. Amazon accounts for about 2.72% of the S&P 500 and Walmart has about .55%.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Not sure why folks rant about Wal-Mart. Unless you have been living under a rock you know what Wal-Mart is like. Don't like the store don't shop there. It ain't rocket science.

Im not a fan of WM; Ive found the stores, like many of their shoppers, to be very sloppy, which Id be more willing to put up with if they actually had short lines and the stores and parking lots were tidy. The risk of things not being in stock is also frustrating. This can routinely be the case with the things that Ive often bought there - oil and diapers.

There are some stores that are well run and kept clean, orderly, etc. They generally have fewer people shopping in them, which surely helps.

The excessively long lines are intolerable. With the opening of self checkout, that seems to help, but the returns line seems always understaffed and has a line of about 15 people waiting.

Yes, it is what it is, which is why I avoid it for most anything but oil, which generally has good prices. $2 per 5qt bottle; even if they wouldnt have matched their incorrectly labeled shelf, would have maintained goodwill. Instead my $65 of oil purchasing went to Pep Boys.

Honestly, if it weren't for the Pennzoil $10 rebates, I probably would have gone straight to HD who had 5 jugs on the shelf, and bought it there. Unfortunately HD isnt listed as an allowed vendor around here.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So I'd never have stepped foot inside Pep Boys

The Pep Boys in Waco wants $28 for Valvoline white jug. They never get my business.

Which was indeed the other part of my OP: How does one find accurate prices, when places like PB list their PP 0w-20 for $38 online, yet it is regular-priced for $24.97 on the shelf?!?!?? Had I known the correct pricing, Id have never stepped foot into WM after the first, when I verified that the $17.97 that someone else on here posted, wasnt truly around here...

I just popped over the border to Niagara Falls NY this afternoon to do some shopping with my wife and as always we stop at Walmart to grab some things that aren't available in Canada or are way cheaper (food related stuff). I checked out the oil section but didn't buy anything as I'm stocked up right now with deals I got here in Canada, and besides, none of the oils I bought recently to start (or continue) using in my cars were at Walmart today! (no Castrol 0w40, no Mobil 1 5w30 ESP, and no Pennzoil Ultra Platinum)

So moving forward, I will still continue shopping at Walmart (both here in Canada and in the US) but for the near future I don't think I will buy any oil there. (when Fram comes out with the new Ultra filter for my Corvette with the proper bypass setting I will buy them there though)

Many companies operate physical stores as well as online shopping options. More and more, they are distinctly separate entities. The price in stores can be different than their 'online' store price. They have NO obligation to price match either.

If a company doesn't distinctly list a 'local store' price, you have no idea what the price may be in their stores. Also, notice how you always have to pick a specific store for pricing ? The price can vary from store to store, based on market demands. Penzoil Platinum 0W-20 is $33.14 at my local store.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Many companies operate physical stores as well as online shopping options. More and more, they are distinctly separate entities. The price in stores can be different than their 'online' store price. They have NO obligation to price match either.

If a company doesn't distinctly list a 'local store' price, you have no idea what the price may be in their stores. Also, notice how you always have to pick a specific store for pricing ? The price can vary from store to store, based on market demands. Penzoil Platinum 0W-20 is $33.14 at my local store.

Except that if you look on the corporate site, it says:

"Price Match Policy
We will match Walmart.com and Jet.com base price, for identical items purchased in a Walmart store."

So its not as segregated as one may claim.

So let me get this straight. WM.com will match HD.com, which shows that the item is in stock in the local store.

WM will match WM.com.

But WM wont match HD.com when HD.com verifies that the item is in stock in the B&M in the same zip code.

Sounds more like a desire to make it look like theyre willing to give the best price, while making it inconvenient/impossible to realize it.

Why pray tell would I buy from WM.com on a price match to HD.com when I could go straight into the HD store and pick it up off their shelves for that price, have short lines and a cleaner store and parking lot?

Dont think there is a lot more to say. For essentially $4, they lost $65 in oil sales and a bunch of other stuff. Oh well.

But the key query in my OP was how to avoid the wild goose chase when no store-web price is necessarily linked, and stores like WM now give a hard time if they are undersold?

Didnt the stores used to have a wall painted up saying "bring it back to the USA" and another saying "we will not be undersold"? LOL.

I pretty much agree with everything you have stated here JHZR2.

I try not to go to Walmart but so much. For anything. There are occasions where I will go there. Usually late at night or very early am like 1-2 am. The Walmart in Mechanicsville gas a very good oil section that is organized very well. Has is the oil filter section.

Now I like going to Federated Auto now for my car stuff has well. Battery made here in USA by East Penn for $99 3 year free replacement warranty. Way cheaper than O Reilly's which is now $170 and AAP which is $145. Oil made by Warren Distribution for $3.49 a qt, 5 qt container of semi synthetic for $10.89 to $12. Very good oil filters for $5 that are 98% at 20 microns. Premium brake rotors we're priced at $33 for my car. With painted hats to prevent rusting at that price. Again a lot cheaper than AZ which were $60 a rotor.

I don't understand all of the headache and high blood pressure. I'm buying 5 quart jugs of D1G2 approved full synthetic oil for $10.99 everyday. No hassle, no rebates, grab it and go.

Not everyone has a Atwood's or Rural King nearby. The oil prices there are really very, very good. Closet RK to my place is close 180 miles away. I do want to go up that way sometime soon. It is in Front Royal which is a very pretty area and skyline drive is right there too.

It's why I stopped shopping deals and just buy less stuff...less headaches and junk in my house...

Though if the Napa is the new Valvoline AS, may grab some of that.....

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I don't understand all of the headache and high blood pressure. I'm buying 5 quart jugs of D1G2 approved full synthetic oil for $10.99 everyday. No hassle, no rebates, grab it and go.

Where exsctly? National chain? One within 50 mikes of philly/NYC?

No high blood pressure. If anything a bit more walking because we were already in the shopping centers and didn't drive to go to the WM, just took the walk across the lot.

Time wasted to set foot in WM, now that's more truthful...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
It's why I stopped shopping deals and just buy less stuff...less headaches and junk in my house...

Though if the Napa is the new Valvoline AS, may grab some of that.....

Is there actually confirmation of this? Is it definite that Napa is exactly rebottled VAS?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Napa Synthetic is on sale for $18.99 for the 5qt jug. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. Plus, most Wix filters are still US-made
smile.gif

I’d be very interested in Napa synthetic if that is correct. Any way that can be checked and confirmed? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Napa Synthetic is on sale for $18.99 for the 5qt jug. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. Plus, most Wix filters are still US-made
smile.gif

I’d be very interested in Napa synthetic if that is correct. Any way that can be checked and confirmed? Thanks.

I thought I had read in the past that napa synthetic was like synpower base but vwb additives or some such combo. Essentially the add pack was a bit more generic and not exactly the same.., also seem to recall that maybe pour point wasn't quite the same?

One thing has certainly changed: dexos1 gen2. As dexos got more stringent, and given that Napa Synthetic is d1g2 now, there can't possibly be a meaningful difference between Napa and name-brand Valvoline synthetic.

smile.gif

Has anyone else found this sale at a local NAPA?

Lets call it a typical car owner putting 12,000 miles per year who changes the oil every 5,000 miles. That is 2.4 oil changes per year. And lets assume that the difference between picking up 5 quarts at the convenience place is at most $20 higher than shopping around with price comparisons, price matching, coupons or manufacturer rebates.

Works out to be $48 more per year to pay for the convenience. $48 ain't peanuts exactly, but chances are the savings will be a bit smaller than this figure for saving all of that aggravation and frustration, not to mention the time involved.

> And then Im supposed to recognize walmart.com as a separate and distinct retailer from walmart?

That's what WM.com is currently doing. When scraping for the best price, I've found
I have to be on the same page as the retailer.
They currently are competing online with online, but, are encouraging you to
pick up in store so as to get you in there and maybe buy something else.
The pick up in store, at times, is a great experience.
Once, the system shipped an iPad cover across the country, to honor
a 80% clearance price. I walked in during Christmas rush and walked back
out in about 8 minutes.

> Why pray tell would I buy from WM.com on a price match to HD.com when I could go straight into the HD store and pick it up off their shelves for that price, have short lines and a cleaner store and parking lot?

Maybe your HD has short lines and a cleaner store, but for years their stores had been
complete dumps. I've heard a few years ago the new CEO was changing things.
Apparently, along with cleaner stores, the 98%/99% off deals went away also.

A few years ago WM had very easy price-matching, Ad-Match, and even had a website
where you could enter your receipt after purchase, Savings Catcher, and they'd auto price-match
all the items you bought with the lowest-price items in competing stores
and refund you the difference.

Ad Match went away.
Savings Catcher changed the way they refund the money.
You should still check your receipt with Savings Catcher.
http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/706/~/savings-catcher
https://savingscatcher.walmart.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back