Buying oil on price - Pricing Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I generally buy oil on price. With the proliferation of Chinese filters, I have not bought oil in the combo deals at the parts stores in quite a while.

So that means WM, Amazon, and other sales at parts stores. As one can imagine, WM typically wins. I am in no way a WM fan - the in store experience is not generally worth the savings, but few places have such a broad range of oils to shop at reasonable prices, that I put up with it for that.

I was looking to buy Valvoline VAS for our van. $21.97 at WM. Thought there was a $10 rebate on it. There wasnt. So I wanted to go PP 0w-20, which was on a shelf labeled $22.97 at WalMart #1. It rang up wrong. They went back, saw the shelf, but saw elsewhere that it was priced higher, at $27.97 or so. So wouldnt give the price.

I found while waiting for the price match, that HD in the same town had PP 0w-20 for $25.98. WM wouldnt price match it until they asked their manager, though the WM website clearly says theyll match homedepot.com for WM.com purchases (Yes, I recognize I was there in person, but the WM.com site said I could buy online for delivery today, so....???). Not friendly, and the store, the shoppers, etc all made for a horrible experience.

Left there and went about my business, which took me to another shopping center with a WM, call it WM#2. Having seen the thread on $17.97 rollback, figured Id have a look. Nope, $27.97. Took some up front because this store is known to be friendlier and more with it. They would not price match either. So apparently I could buy on walmart.com for same day pickup, and get HD price match (or just buy at HD, but was concerned about the $10 rebate). They at least confirmed that walmart in store no longer matches prices on ads or otherwise. Period. Even if its $2 or so for customer satisfaction.

Disgusted, left there, rolled by Pep Boys, and noted the $14 PYB oil change. Interested in not giving WM the business, even on the $17.97 PYB I just bought, I went in. Filters were Chinesium so I avoided the combo deal, but the shelf price at Pep Boys was $16.97. Next to it was 5qt PP 0w-20, for $24.97 - cheaper than WM and HD! Success, so the $17.97 5qt of PYB will be going back to WM at some off hour to avoid the line of 15+ people waiting to return stuff and get money orders.

So Pep Boys got my business, for 15 qts of oil. Being curious, I looked up the PP price at pepboys.com - $38+!!!!!

So Id never have stepped foot inside PB had the $14 oil change rebate special not been on the window. Im glad I did - PB has won some goodwill from me (particularly since they let me take 5 x 1qt bottles for the 5qt jug price. Ill be back there.

WM is under boycott for ALL things (really I only ever got oil there, but have occasionally bought other things there). Nope. I wasted a TON of time in walmart stores I wouldn't have otherwise gone to, to save not a lot of money. WM #1 could have easily adjusted the price, and made the sale on that plus another $50 or so worth of stuff in a cart that I abandoned out of disgust. WM #2, who was more friendly could have made it right too.

But how does one generally get accurate pricing on this stuff in a time-efficient manner? PB obviously isnt accurate between their store and the shelf prices...

Thanks, rant off.

I have not had very many seriously "bad" experiences with Walmart, but there have been a few with the uninformed employee or the ID10T shoppers. With that said, for the last few times I have bought oil (except for clearances which usually have to be checked on the aisles), I have used the "pick up" service (the orange tower). In fact, the last time I bought some M1 Euro 0W-40, the system recognized that I was there and the employee had the oil ready for me to pickup and go. I was literally in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Napa Synthetic is on sale for $18.99 for the 5qt jug. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. Plus, most Wix filters are still US-made
smile.gif

Yep too much b-s to deal with.
I don't do rebates and saving a few bucks ain't worth all the nonsense.

I just go with Amazon now. They seem to price close to WM and it's less of a headache to chase the deals for a few bucks off.

I guess the best idea is just always go to a store that price matches, when it doesn't have a sale, so it will actually have the oil in stock.
Canadian tire here has some good sales but can be cleaned out, so I can go to the TSC store and get it there at the same price.

Not sure if you have item pricing law in your state. But in mine, I would have forced them to give me the price on the sticker. Would have cited state law.

Also don't agree with the rant. The standard Walmart policy is not to price match anymore. It's been gone for a while. You can't get mad at them for a policy that doesn't exist. The store and online are two different things. Not Walmart's fault if you don't know that.

I buy oil when the price is right online from WMT and ties into a rebate. The less I set foot into my local WMT the better. I buy at least a 1 year supply, less hassle that way.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Also don't agree with the rant.

Quite a few inconsistencies in the "story" as well, not to mention how much time was wasted just to get the oil for a few dollars less (and trust me, I'm the last person to not look for a bargain or a deal).

As for two different prices on the stickers on the shelf, well, for that one I would have stood my ground. Ask for a manager as 99% of them have bigger things to be concerned about. Can almost guarantee they would have said "sell it at the lower sticker price" and the next thing they'd have done is walk back to the shelf to fix it or called an employee back there to fix it.

I have really slowed down on shopping at WM over the past 2-3 years. Their price-matching system was nonsense (i.e. they won't match their own website in-store!). The service at my 2 local WM's is several steps below Meijer/Kroger's in the area.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
I just go with Amazon now. They seem to price close to WM and it's less of a headache to chase the deals for a few bucks off.

Amazon Prime is your best bet for non clearance oils.

You wasted time on the weekend than being home. I do go to Wal-Mart only early in the morning if its absolutely necessary.

Around here, I only set foot in a Walmart for the clearance priced deals and I only know of them when they're reported here.
Got some good deals over the years on oil and filters.
In this area, we have a regional retailer, Meijer, that matches Walmart on shelf prices for oil and then goes on to offer store deals to make the deals even sweeter.
Meijer also offers fresh foods you'd actually want to eat as well as at least some shoes and clothing you'd actually want to wear.
Walmart is a bit of a scam on those who really do believe that they offer lower prices on everything.
They never have and never will.

I get a kick out of going to WM.I enjoy walking around seeing what is new.The people don't bother me.Just people.
I will not support Amazon because they have taken too many jobs away.
At least WM hires folks locally.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I get a kick out of going to WM.I enjoy walking around seeing what is new.The people don't bother me.Just people.
I will not support Amazon because they have taken too many jobs away.
At least WM hires folks locally.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that one is less evil than the other. Amazon hires people locally, too. Have you seen their warehouses?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So I'd never have stepped foot inside Pep Boys

The Pep Boys in Waco wants $28 for Valvoline white jug. They never get my business.

I've been on a partial boycott of Walmarts since they did their anti gun nonsense. Clearance or bust.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I buy oil when the price is right online from WMT and ties into a rebate. The less I set foot into my local WMT the better. I buy at least a 1 year supply, less hassle that way.

+1. Walmart Plus MIR. I’m 2 years ahead with my stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back