Buying "OEM" brand oil filters on RockAuto | Are they genuine?

Hi, guys. I have a question about buying Ford Motorcraft oil filters for my 2 Ford vehicles (see sig). Lately, I've had trouble finding Motorcraft filters locally and have recently considered ordering them online.

My only question is: Does anyone know if RockAuto sells genuine Motorcraft filters, or have they been known to be counterfeit? I just recently sent a box of Motorcraft filters back ti Amazon, after hearing how many people have gotten counterfeit parts from there and I'm just wondering if RockAuto has had the same issue, or not. Thanks, for any info.

The one thing I would never buy from RA is oil filters and electrical items. There's been too many posts here from unhapppy RA custmers with the oil filters they received being dented or rusted up. There's nothing special about the Motorcraft FL820S to make a special effort in buying online and there are suitable alternatives.

If you really want Motorcraft, you could use a substitute for this one oil change while seeking out a Motorcraft branded filter locally. I like to examine before buying.

Last edited:
I’ve never bought an oil filter from RA but have other oft pirated products like plugs, Wix trans filter, etc.... Haven't run across any issue with RA other than high shipping costs if your items are coming from different locations.

I’m not exactly sure how rockauto warehouse work but it’s possible for some items they also work like a drop shipper where they are just the middleman and the product actually comes straight from the manufacturer. I think rock auto is very trustworthy for genuine parts

usually the posters who have reported issues with their Rock Auto oil filter purchases have been with buying from their "wholesaler closeouts" that RA offers (suspected to be left overs, returns and such at a lower cost to the buyer)...I've not seen any real issues with those buying the regular OWM filters...

I reported on this Forum an OEM AC Delco blue filter I bought that had a loose gasket and an old box that had the top flap missing and was taped...I contacted RA and they issued a refund/credit (my choice) for the filter...I used the filter and had zero runs, drips or errors with it...

I've been buying most of my oil filters from RA since 2007...YMMV

Bill

There is no right answer because RA ships from a different 3rd party supplier every time. I used to buy my Wix filters there without a problem, but who knows. Also there return process and warranty is terrible. If you do order from RA make sure your using a 5% discount code. Check out reddit / rockauto - there always posted there.

Amazon is great IF you buy only from ships and sold by Amazon. No 3rd parties at all. There return process is great.

Walmart.com is also great - as long as it ships and sold by Walmart.

Buying local and inspecting is always the best, if you can and have the time. I lack time and am lazy so I order everything.

Rockauto posted a picture of a "black" Wix filter and its part number implied a premium product.

I got a store brand (as expected-- I ordered closeout) but the part number was a cross reference, and its suffix showed it was actually the lower-tier product.

I could have returned them but am using them anyway.

As for Motorcraft, you'll get that brand. You'll get the "service replacement" filter, not what Ford screws on at the assembly line.

I'll toss an oil filter into the cart at the end of a Rock Auto order only if it doesn't add to the shipping cost, otherwise I can find Motorcraft locally at Advance, Walmart or any Ford dealer for just a buck or two more.

The vast majority of Motorcraft parts I have gotten from Rock Auto have been shippedfrom Parts Authority who is a Motorcraft distributor. Unless you are buying in case quantities or adding on to another parts order its probably no more expensive to buy from a Ford dealer

All the above is true and has been mentioned before and that's OK.

What isn't mentioned often enough for me is that RA offers element oil filters at a price which ALWAYS blows brick & mortar shops out of the water. Those darn element filters, historically used only in expensive cars, were priced high by the chain shops.
Only recently have some of the element cartridges come down.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

@Lubener That's been another issue I've worried about is them getting dented. I suppose for now, I'll try to keep getting them in-store.

Hi, guys. I have a question about buying Ford Motorcraft oil filters for my 2 Ford vehicles (see sig). Lately, I've had trouble finding Motorcraft filters locally and have recently considered ordering them online.

My only question is: Does anyone know if RockAuto sells genuine Motorcraft filters, or have they been known to be counterfeit? I just recently sent a box of Motorcraft filters back ti Amazon, after hearing how many people have gotten counterfeit parts from there and I'm just wondering if RockAuto has had the same issue, or not. Thanks, for any info.
Probably will be fine. Sometimes you get some old filters from rock auto.
I’d probably just order from Walmart.com for store pick up. That usually works

If you search online Ford dealers do sell oem filters online and some across the country can be priced fair. I buy 6 at a time, price is not walmart good but if your having trouble finding them it can be reasonable enough.

I have never been burned buying any part from Rockauto. They have a pretty good handle on sourcing their parts and ensuring they are genuine as advertised and labeled.

Back