Buying guns online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
My main criterion was the size of the handgun. The choice would have been a Walther PPK 9mm or .380 but these are harder to come by. So the next choice was a Makarov which is a similar size and similar reliability. I don't know much about the CZ-82 but I'll see in a month.

If Glocks were the size I wanted I would have gone with a Glock 19 but they are too big.

G-26? 10 rounds in a tiny package.

Makarovs are like a Russian version of a Kel Tec! Don't fire too much high power +p out of it.

You beat me to it Drew! The baby glock is smaller than the Makorov (which shoots an oddball 9x17 poor performing round). You also have the nice little Kahrs, the Ruger as mentioned above, any small J-frame revolver, Taurus PT line and many others.

Check with Gunsamerica and Gunbroker for a list of FFLs in your area. I'm sorry it's such a hassle for you. I've done mail-order firearms before without incident or difficulty, though it's a bit tedious because of the completely unnecessary complexity intended to discourage people from being FFLs.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
just make sure your Gander MT hasn't rasised their FFL transfer to $74.99 like they did at mine

well for me they were the closest FFL dealer for me. Others were charging $40 + tax. I avoided paying tax since I did not have GM purchase the firearm for me. I didn't complain, but realize they are doing it to make the extra $40 because of panic buying, and will start taking my business elsewhere. I already purchase 99% of my ammo from Wal-Mart as they have some of the best prices.

Matt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
(which shoots an oddball 9x17 poor performing round)

9x18 (although it is actually larger diameter than 9mm)

9x17 is .380ACP

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
(which shoots an oddball 9x17 poor performing round)

9x18 (although it is actually larger diameter than 9mm)

9x17 is .380ACP

You're 100% correct. Still a weak round, though.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
So finally my wife gave in and agreed to get a handgun. The timing sucks since there is a panic among the gun owners and the store didn't have what I wanted - a 9mm Makarov. We called a few distributors and they were all out of stock.

I couldn't find one online either so settled for a CZ-82. It's a little larger than the Makarov I wanted (holds 12 bullets in the magazine instead of the 8 in Makarov) but I think can still fit in a suit pocket easily for concealed carry.

What worries me is the complicated process of buying a gun online. I have given the FFL owner address to the seller. Tomorrow I will need to go to the gun store and give them the seller's information so that they can mail their license to the seller. I am guessing after that the seller will verify and ship the handgun. They are running a couple of weeks late on the orders so I won't have the gun for another 3-4 weeks.

This is a sucky process. I will apply for the CC license tomorrow and hope it doesn't take too long to get it.

J&G Sales still has not shipped the gun to the FFL. I called and they promised to ship last Monday. On Friday they still hadn't shipped so I called and they promised to ship that evening. It still hasn't been shipped. From the reviews they sounded like a legitimate business - I don't know why they are jerking me around.

I'm gonna call and cancel my order on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back