Buying a new O2 sensor - Rockauto vs. Amazon

2002 Honda Odyssey - original owner - with 214,000 miles. New code for a upstream oxygen sensor. Has never been changed before.
I am looking at Denso sensor. I am assuming that this is OEM on the Odyssey.
Both Rockauto and Amazon (sold by amazon) - list it at same price. RA has extra $7 for shipping while it's free in Amazon.

Trying to decide where to buy from - I am pretty sure that RA would be genuine product, have lately heard anecdotal stories of fake Denso products sold on the Amazon market place. While I think that is a risk with 3rd party sellers, what do think is possibility of getting a fake product if the seller is Amazon itself.

What do you are the chances? Hate to pay for labor charges again if product is defective. Any thoughts?

Pay the $7 extra

I don't believe for a minute that Amazon buys/sell fake auto parts but what happens is 3rd-party sellers can sell the exact same item (when you add an item to sell, you have to input some identifier, i.e. UPC). I could buy a "fake" part with the "right" UPC code, mark it as "fulfilled by Amazon", and then send them my inventory of fake parts. Guess where my parts go ? In the same bin as the real parts from Amazon, real parts from other 3rd-party sellers, as well as fake versions from other 3rd-party sellers. When you order that part, which will you get ?

Pay the $7 extra

I don't believe for a minute that Amazon buys/sell fake auto parts but what happens is 3rd-party sellers can sell the exact same item (when you add an item to sell, you have to input some identifier, i.e. UPC). I could buy a "fake" part with the "right" UPC code, mark it as "fulfilled by Amazon", and then send them my inventory of fake parts. Guess where my parts go ? In the same bin as the real parts from Amazon, real parts from other 3rd-party sellers, as well as fake versions from other 3rd-party sellers. When you order that part, which will you get ?
So if I understand correctly, "Amazon sold" item and a "fulfilled by Amazon" item may be all mixed up in the bin, which means that you can never be sure which product may get shipped to you, correct?

Rock Auto > Amazon

When you receive it, google the return address to see where it shipped from.

So if I understand correctly, "Amazon sold" item and a "fulfilled by Amazon" item may be all mixed up in the bin, which means that you can never be sure which product may get shipped to you, correct?
correct

Well if you factor in the 5% discount code and you get both sensors it's only less than $3 extra and no worries about counterfeits. I hardly ever get auto parts from amazon. Usually rockauto ends up being cheaper. You could get those closeout Bosch sensors that are in the $20 range, but $44 is still pretty cheap for an oxygen sensor so not much savings getting closeouts.

Well if you factor in the 5% discount code and you get both sensors it's only less than $3 extra and no worries about counterfeits. I hardly ever get auto parts from amazon. Usually rockauto ends up being cheaper. You could get those closeout Bosch sensors that are in the $20 range, but $44 is still pretty cheap for an oxygen sensor so not much savings getting closeouts.
I would go this.

I read on amazon,over a year ago,someone who said they used to be in their quality control area.others bought ,for buicks,fuel filters,rusted months in...spark plugs fouled 20,000 miles or less. Other fake stuff. Their were pics. He said, 3rd party stuff ends up thier.all Amazon needs eds,is too see one actual part,and its green lighted. After that..its a different story.
Rock auto for sure trustworthy.ebay. carid. Even autozone, advance auto..but for spark plugs,oil,filters,ect. AutoZone stuff lasts 4 years max...in my usings.anything coolant related, that's up in 3 years.

I buy only what I absolutely cannot find anywhere else from Rock Auto. Everything else comes from Amazon (OEM). Never had a counterfeit part from them. Rebuilt my 4Runner from bumper-to-bumper with OEM parts from Amazon. Fast delivery and free shipping at a lower price.

item may be all mixed up in the bin, which means that you can never be sure which product may get shipped to you, correct?
Yes. Think about it from Amazon's standpoint of operating a warehouse and it becomes much simpler. They are NOT going to allocate (2) spots for the "same" part.

Asian vehicles are usually Denso (at least Toyota).
You can find Denso in European vehicles (VW uses their A/C compressors in many models). But O2 sensors are really Bosch backyard.
I would add that I would go with those that have specific connectors for Honda. I am not fan of splicing wires.

I’d choose rock auto > amazon nowadays.

Don’t know what’s up with Amazon and automotive parts/tools. Parts deliveries are often delayed, parts that are in packaging that was previously opened, parts with missing pieces etc. I’m assuming they’re getting a lot of return items and just reselling them as new without inspecting closely.

I did get counterfeit NGK plugs from Amazon maybe 5ish years ago. I didnt know the difference, until misfires 2-3 years later led to some scrutiny of the plugs that were in there. I now only buy plugs from the “authorized sellers lists”.

FWIW, I still buy lots of stuff from Amazon. Just not my auto parts.

Last edited:
With Amazon, just be very careful and pick your seller. There are dealerships who sell there and on eBay. Buy from a dealership on Amazon or eBay.

I don’t like Rock Auto.

Personally, I’d just go to my dealership. I’m not wealthy by any means but I’d feel better “knowing” I got a genuine Honda part. And an extra $100 over the next 200,000 miles seems pretty inconsequential.

After watching my brother melt the converters out of a Chrysler product with AZ 02’s, I’m dealer only on 02 sensors.

Back