Buttermilk: yay or nay?

Love buttermilk but it hard to find good buttermilk like I grew up on. Most store bought buttermilk is too thin and doesn't have flakes of butter floating in it. Of course my grandmother used to churn her own butter and use the leftover milk for buttermilk.

I drink it and use it in pancake batter instead of regular milk. And like my grandparents I like to break up cornbread and mix it in a glass of buttermilk and eat it with spoon. Yes, I am from the South!
My dad and his parents did that. But they used crackers. Don’t recall them ever using cornbread, but they might have. They’ve all been gone for over 20 years now, though.

They were from Alabama. So it might be a southern thing.

I’ve tried drinking it, just never found it appealing in any way, really.

I have it sometimes with fresh ground black pepper in 10 ounce glass. Good to marinate chicken in too. Get mine at local family run farm. Anyone like it or no?
The problem I have is that I can’t find the unsalted stuff I had as a kid, they make unsalted butter so no idea where the unsalted buttermilk goes.

All the Store bought i can find is extremely salty for some reason

Back before the type 2 diabeetus days, I had a buttermilk pancake recipe that was to die for. Every now and then I made them for the family for breakfast or even dinner some times.

Last edited:
My dad and his parents did that. But they used crackers. Don’t recall them ever using cornbread, but they might have. They’ve all been gone for over 20 years now, though.

They were from Alabama. So it might be a southern thing.

I’ve tried drinking it, just never found it appealing in any way, really.
My folks on both sides of the family are originally from Alabama, so there you go.

I have it sometimes with fresh ground black pepper in 10 ounce glass. Good to marinate chicken in too. Get mine at local family run farm. Anyone like it or no?
I definitely marinade chicken in buttermilk. From my reading a vast majority of buttermilk made today isn't true buttermilk. It's "cultured" and has lots of unnecessary chemicals like locust bean gum, carrageenan etc. There are only a few producers of real buttermilk around. I personally would be interested in trying Kates from Maine as It seems like one of the few out there.

Back