Burp, or "motoring indigestion"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and good morning fellow Bitogers on this grey and rainy day here in Central Florida.

To begin, the vehicle: 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL, 3.1 V 6 Automatic transmission, currently reading 152,410 miles.

The problem: It's really hard to describe, but while cruising at speeds between 50-65 mph, the car seems to have a slight "burp," and an irregular burp at that. It isn't constant, but random, almost like "automotive indigestion."

And it's really more of a "feeling." Try to imagine a 50 year old man sitting in his living room easy chair about an hour after consuming a large deep dish pizza with all the toppings, (those of you 50 plus will know exactly what I mean).

The car has plenty of power. Under acceleration from a total stop, said car takes off and goes with no problem whatsoever. Even at speed, (say at 60mph), pressing the gas pedal to the floor rewards the driver with constant, steady acceleration.

The car has no muffler, (hence it's name "Thunder the Wonder Pig"), and while driving the driver is able to clearly hear the motor running. There is no "miss" sound from the exhaust, (like you would hear if one of the cylinders wasn't firing properly). Even while car is "burping" the exhaust note is smooth and steady, (like the "Spirit of Saint Louis" in the Jimmy Steward movie "The Spirit of Saint Louis." - Remember when he's flying across the Atlantic Ocean and he leans out the window to look at his motor and there's that steady sound of all cylinders firing? That's how "Thunder the Wonder Pig" sounds).

The only thing I've done so far is change the air filter. I bought a fuel filter, but the weather has been so nasty, I haven't changed it yet. It's been doing this for a little over a week now and quite frankly, I'm stumped as to what it could be - so before I start throwing a bunch of parts at it, I thought I would run it past you guys for input and guidance.

I love this car but am in mortal fear of being stranded one dark night in the Richloam section of Hwy 50, (Google Map it and you'll see what I mean). If anything, I do not want another encounter with the Skunk Ape.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas?

Having no knowledge of the mid 90's cutlasses I would guess if the engine note is constant and you feel slight shudder around 50mph it is the torque converter locking and unlocking which is not a problem.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Having no knowledge of the mid 90's cutlasses I would guess if the engine note is constant and you feel slight shudder around 50mph it is the torque converter locking and unlocking which is not a problem.

Would it be locking at say 65mph? If I stay below 50, I don't feel it, but even on the interstate at 65-70 it has that feeling, but when I mash the gas pedal plenty of power, (I even got it up to 90 mph a few nights ago).

Could my transmission be dying? The transmission is a rebuilt unit with about 60,000 miles on it. I did a fluid exchange back in March of 2013, (about 10,000 miles ago).

You have the intake manifold gaskets done on that?
Otherwise it may just be some water ( you have E10 now?) or someother air/fuel management glitch.
I was surpised (i have a 89 caddy with 77k miles garaged in ft myers) that Lee county doesnt have ANY FORMAL vehicle inspection whatsoever - other than by the local constabulary on patrol.

I like the extended X body cars (foget the platform designation)- still see many on the road. That Cutlass was probably made up near me in Framingham MA - before the decline and fall that got us here where we are in this terrible mess.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I've never had it done but could have been done by previous owner - though I doubt it. Are these cars known for intake manifold gasket leaks?

I am running the green coolant, (that's what was in it when I bought it).

My Dad's Olds 88 does the same thing around 50 mph; if you're cruising and you give it some light throttle to accelerate, the rpms come up and the torque converter sometimes locks up and it lugs down to like 1500 rpm, but it has enough torque to accelerate even at that low of an rpm. It definitely does not feel like an engine performance issue but a transaxle issue.

If I understand you correctly, the same thing has been happening on my GP. It only happens when cruising at 65 mph; no such issue at 70 or 60. RPMs will bounce up from their normal 1,800 to 1,950-2,000, then down again after a second or two. The occurance is random. I can go up a slight grade and hold 1,800 or be driving on the flattest piece of road in the world for 10 miles and it will just blip out of nowhere. I don't think this started until I removed my throttle body in order to clean it, so I'm guessing my cleaning messed with the drive-by-wire setup. Maybe a good TB cleaning would clear up your issue?

Torque converter lock up. My 98 Bonneville did it. You can actually bypass it with a switch in the OBD II cars. Meaning you control lock up. That car has a 4T60E? I think it was the 440T4 before 92.

That has been common in the 4T60E and 4T65E/65EHD for years.

When I say "That car has..." I mean your Oldsmobile.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Torque converter lock up. My 98 Bonneville did it. You can actually bypass it with a switch in the OBD II cars. Meaning you control lock up. That car has a 4T60E? I think it was the 440T4 before 92.

And how might one go about doing that?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
This thread is setting us up for a Lubegard commercial....

One bottle of Lubegard Red added back in March of 2013, 10,000 miles ago, (along with total fluid exchange and tranny filter change).

If I were to drive it in 3rd gear, (not allowing it to slip into OD) would that stop the torque converter from locking? (And thus, I could either confirm or eliminate this possibility?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Now that I've had some time to think about what you're saying, I do remember an old Lincoln Town car I used to own that had a leaky head gasket, it would do the same thing - you think maybe my head gaskets are giving out?

If so, could I use some "Walnut dust" stop leak to plug any potential holes that might be developing?

Could I run with the radiator cap loose so the cooling system wouldn't build up pressure?

Just some ideas to narrow it down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Probably needs a muffler (exhaust system) to provide good data to the sensors and backpressure to perform normally.

Been running without muffler for some time now - problem only developed a week ago.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

And how might one go about doing that?

I never actually did it, but it has some thing to do with one of the wires coming of the brake switch. It has been years since I have seen or read about it. Basically you tell the TC that the brakes was engage by throwing a switch and creating a ground. Not the right way to fix it, but some folks liked it.

I'm pretty certain that trans locks up in both 3rd and OD.

If it slips too much the trans will set a code and go into 3rd gear until you restart.

If it truly has a mechanical issue no additive will help it, even LG.

BTW, if a GM vehicle ever loses any coolant some crushed walnut is an excellent prescription! Take off the oil cap when it's cold, look for water droplets and smell it for coolant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back