Burning Lots of Oil after Oil Change in 81 Tercel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also your cat may or may not be eating the smoke when it gets warmed up.

Of course being 32 years old it might not be doing much of anything anymore.

Originally Posted By: Quest
blue smoke coming out of your tail pipe when you accelerate---> oil control rings are jammed and oil seeps past compression rings;

blue smoke coming out of your tail pipe when you decelerate--> that's valve stem seal.

Also: first thing in the morning it puffs out blue smoke and gradually disappears when the engine warms up, that's also valve stem seal.

**you have to learn to differentiate between the 2 before you can find a proper fix.

In your case: I still bet on the stuck oil control rings, of course, one must also consider getting all the valve stem seals replaced while you have the head off.

Q.

Well I'm still bettin' on valve stem seals...

Once you pull the first one off you'll know... If it fits snugly on the stem then not a major problem... If it will slide back down the stem on it's own or easily, replacement is defiantly warranted...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Well I'm still bettin' on valve stem seals...

And I still hope you're right! Took it for a slighty longer drive today. There was a puff of smoke at startup that disappeared after a bit, and then just a bit of smoke after acceleration from an idle. On my way back home, I noticed much more frequent smoking during acceleration and normal driving, though it still went away at an idle.

Maybe both rings and valve stem?

I will say, though, I got a new gasket and hose today for the PCV, and when I just went to put them on, there was a healthy coating of oil on the PCV. I ordered a new PCV and will let you know when I try it out.

Someone in this thread sound exactly like another (recently missing) member of this forum. Anyone care to guess who I mean, and who the previous personality was?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Quest
IF it's burning a lot of oil during acceleration (even after you replaced PCV valve), your oil control rings are stuck and there's nothing you can do to bring the oil burning issue down.

Forget about thicker oil for it's still gonna seep past the jammed oil control rings and gets burned.

A rebuild is in order.

Q.

I distinctly agree on principal, But pulling the plugs and a MMO/Seafoam/B12/AutoRX/Kreen piston soak "COULD"!!! Possibly free up the Oil Control Rings.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I distinctly agree on principal, But pulling the plugs and a MMO/Seafoam/B12/AutoRX/Kreen piston soak "COULD"!!! Possibly free up the Oil Control Rings.

Okay. Well I think I am going to replace the valve stem seals - I kind of want the practice and the excuse to get under the hood. But assuming that doesn't work, which of the additives do you think I should try first? And thanks for the reminder that this is a major "could".

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Someone in this thread sound exactly like another (recently missing) member of this forum. Anyone care to guess who I mean, and who the previous personality was?

BC.
GHT/Technologis? Can't be him, AJP is LISTENING to advice! I also have been running NG ML 10W40 in my bro's '87 Tercel, cut down on his consumption quite a bit (but his engine only has 43K on it).

That's what I though too.
Also, the OP is actually considering doing some work on the car himself, unlike the poster Baldecutter compares him to.
Is GHT/Technologis really gone again?
I wonder what he'll call himself for version 3.0?

Well, I change out the old, cracked, hose for the PCV and what I think is a sort of return hose (goes from the air filter to the engine, right next to the PCV), and changed out the oil for Valvoline ML NG 10w-40, and the consumption has decreased enormously.

Now I only see oil burning if the car has been running for a little while (over thirty minutes). I see smoke only on hard acceleration, especially after idling for a bit. I still haven't gotten a new PCV valve (I know, tsk, tsk), so I'm hoping that might still be the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back