Build-up on valve stems/ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend, I pulled off my upper and lower intake manifolds on my contour 2.5L V-6. On the valve stems and ports where the seconderies open up, they were coated with carbon/blow-back/junk/what-ever-it-is.

I was planning on running a container of Berryman's B-12 at a fairly constant rate to disolve and keep these areas clean. Any suggestions or tips?

I'm planning on using Berryman's because of how effectively it removed carbon from my manifolds when I hand cleaned them. Really a low effort deal that blew away several other carb cleaners I had on hand.

The 2.5 Duratec is notorious for this. A lot of Contour owners do a routine intake manifold removal and cleaning, to return the cars performace to normal. You can try putting a chemical into this thing, but I'm not so sure it will be all that effective. Good luck with it. That 2.5 is a darn good motor. I miss the sound it made at full song!
grin.gif

quote:

This past weekend, I pulled off my upper and lower intake manifolds on my contour 2.5L V-6. On the valve stems and ports where the seconderies open up, they were coated with carbon/blow-back/junk/what-ever-it-is.

I was planning on running a container of Berryman's B-12 at a fairly constant rate to disolve and keep these areas clean. Any suggestions or tips?

I had a similar problem with my 3.0L DOHC V-6 fuel system on my Taurus.

Initially, I tried what I hoped would be a quick, short-term solution. When that proved fruitless, I went with a long-term solution that successfully resolved the problem as documented in the following thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004359

You can use FP60 on a long term basis. It will clean, and keep clean, everything below the fuel injector nozzles.

Ken

You should either use Aerosol B-12 with the engien running sprayed through the manifold. A slightly better product for this problem would be to use Amsoil Power Foam with the engine running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back