Buick Verano T, 3900 miles, M1 5w30

1659488994166.png

I finally got the OCI short enough to keep the fuel dilution below 5%, so I would have an idea about how much fuel is in there.
The KV100 still fell out of 30 grade, but not by much. The ethanol blends that I have been experimenting with haven't caused the fuel dilution to go crazy.
Wear metals are low.

In the last oil change I installed M1 5w40 ECF so I could run a longer OCI without dropping out of 30 grade. This UOA shows a dilution rate of 1% per 1000 miles, so I should be able to go 5000 miles before going past Polaris' limit of 5%. I spec'd the M1 5w40 with the idea that it could withstand 10% dilution and still remain in the 30 grade, so it could probably go 10,000 miles. I won't push it that far. The OLM normally goes to 0 at 7500 miles, and I think it could easily make that, but I'm a little anxious to see how the 5w40 is performing. I'm thinking 6000 miles would be a good 'tweener number to go for. At the rate I put on miles, that's only about 3 more weeks.

View attachment 110862

I finally got the OCI short enough to keep the fuel dilution below 5%, so I would have an idea about how much fuel is in there.
The KV100 still fell out of 30 grade, but not by much. The ethanol blends that I have been experimenting with haven't caused the fuel dilution to go crazy.
Wear metals are low.

In the last oil change I installed M1 5w40 ECF so I could run a longer OCI without dropping out of 30 grade. This UOA shows a dilution rate of 1% per 1000 miles, so I should be able to go 5000 miles before going past Polaris' limit of 5%. I spec'd the M1 5w40 with the idea that it could withstand 10% dilution and still remain in the 30 grade, so it could probably go 10,000 miles. I won't push it that far. The OLM normally goes to 0 at 7500 miles, and I think it could easily make that. I'm thinking 6000 miles would be a good 'tweener number to go for.
On these Ecotec engines and their consistant fuel dilution issues I personally wouldnt run past 3-4K at best OCIs. Not to mention these are notorious for PCV issues, premature piston ring failure causing blow by burning oil and horror stories of Timing chain failures. Sadly, these are not engines to push long OCIs IMHO.

View attachment 110862

Wear metals are low.

In the last oil change I installed M1 5w40 ECF so I could run a longer OCI without dropping out of 30 grade. This UOA shows a dilution rate of 1% per 1000 miles, so I should be able to go 5000 miles before going past Polaris' limit of 5%. I spec'd the M1 5w40 with the idea that it could withstand 10% dilution and still remain in the 30 grade, so it could probably go 10,000 miles. I won't push it that far. The OLM normally goes to 0 at 7500 miles, and I think it could easily make that, but I'm a little anxious to see how the 5w40 is performing. I'm thinking 6000 miles would be a good 'tweener number to go for. At the rate I put on miles, that's only about 3 more weeks.
Good approach.

Holy fuel batman! Bloody DI eh?
I still like the theory of it, despite the practical negative in reality.

On the plus side GDI offers higher compression ratio, improved air capacity, and inlet charge cooling, which are all directionally correct for more power.

On the minus side, I have fuel dilution, which I can cheaply deal with by buying thicker oil.

I still like the theory of it, despite the practical negative in reality.

On the plus side GDI offers higher compression ratio, improved air capacity, and inlet charge cooling, which are all directionally correct for more power.

On the minus side, I have fuel dilution, which I can cheaply deal with by buying thicker oil.
Should have to deal with fuel dilution if they would design the engine properly. This is ridiculous. Terrible engine.

Excellent uoa! Love seeing those single digit wear metals. Is this the regular M1? Gen 2 or Gen 3?

View attachment 110862

Wear metals are low.

Good thinking.

Back