buffer advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a small hand held 6" buffer at Fleet Farm for under $15 (don't remember the brand). Works great. I had a 10" buffer by Waxmaster but it was just too big and cumbersome to use on a regular basis. I suppose it would be fine if you were going to wax an airplane though...

For a hobbyist, Harbor Freight is the best. Not for daily professional use, but will last a long time at two or three times a year.

I bought an 8" Simoniz random orbital buffer and it works very well. I got it for only $20 Canadian (on sale) and it came with it's own little case and a bunch of different bonnets for it.

I use it in conjunction with NXT and it gives me great results on my black Corvette.

You were born with the two best buffers there are:
A left and right hand!
I'd never use one of those electric things...
spaz.gif

Scott

I have a 9'' craftsman buffer that I've had for over 15 years. It works very well to apply and remove wax. I like high speed polishers for things that need a little more buffing/cutting.

Most of the buffers you can buy at parts stores or whereever are pretty much the same. Bonnet size ranges from 8" to 10". Buffer action and speed are virtually identical. The better machines will have a torquier motor and will be heavier for more polishing action. But for about $50 these things are a toss up. Just make sure you can easily get buffer bonnets.

Buffers are dangerous. You can just as easily destroy paint as enhance it.

Most professionals have gone to the porter-cable 7336 or 7424. I have the 7424 and bought it as a kit with the pads. They are quite a bit more money, but last forever and will never harm paint. Meguiars sells one under their own brand name as well.

This is a link for where I bought mine:
http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/poca74wolowp.html

I'm pretty sure Amazon sells them as well.

I've seen damage done by all of the above machine types.
In the wrong hands, they are more likely than a pair of hands to damage your car's paint.

Scott

Any machine in the hands of a careless person can damage almost anything. You can't blame the machine for misuse and a lack of common sense.

Buffer don't ruin paint jobs, people ruin paint jobs.

Hmmm. You're missing my point. If someone cleans their car and waxes by hand, it's more likely than not that the job will turn out OK.
If the average Joe tried to use a buffer, the chances for paint damage go way up.
I just don't believe in using them for normal detailing.
My opinion only.

Scott

Hmmm. You're missing my point. If someone cleans their car and waxes by hand, it's more likely than not that the job will turn out OK.

No, I haven't missed your point. Your opinion is based more on the fear of paint damage than the advantages a machine can provide. All I'm doing is pointing that out for all to see.

There is risk in everything we do. Even getting out of bed in the morning is risky. If your greatest fear when waxing your car is the potential for damaging your paint, then I can understand not wanting to use any type of machine if only to mitigate that fear.

All I'm doing in this thread is providing factual information about buffers and polishers. The rationale behind the fear of using a buffer is something every reader needs to deal with on their own.

Paint is of a finite thickness.
Using a mechanical buffer/polisher will deplete that coat (or two) of paint more quickly than elbow-grease will, even if used by a pro.

I won't continue this as I think we've reached an impasse.

Scott

Buffers are dangerous. You can just as easily destroy paint as enhance it.

This statement is a bit misleading. Not all "buffers" are dangerous because they aren't all the same.

There are three basic paint polishing machines on the market:

(1) Orbital Buffer - These are the buffers you find at auto parts stores, Sears, Home Depot, etc. Cost is usually around $50. They operate in an orbital motion and use a terrycloth bonnet to buff on wax. Their motors are low torque and operate at one speed. These machines are fine for applying cleaner wax or maybe a light polish. Operation is literally foolproof; a kid can use one of these things. If you want a basic, cheap machine to buff on some NuFinish or Turtle Wax, an orbital buffer is OK.

(2) Dual Action Polisher - These machines are for more serious car nuts and detailers. They are derived from orbital sanders used in woodworking. While they operate in an orbital motion like the buffers described above, they have high torque motors and adjustable speeds. The advantages of a dual action polisher is you can use them with a wide variety of foam polishing pads and polishes to get top notch results. The overwhelming choice in dual action polishers is the Porter Cable 7424 and its variants. A basic polisher will run you $100-150 but you'll need pads and polishes, so your initial investment is more like $200. A dual action polisher can do almost anything a typical car owner could want.

(3) Rotary (Circular) Polisher - These are the high speed polishers you see used by pro detailers and body shops. A rotary polishers used with a foam or wool pad, the right polish, and an experienced operator can get spectacular results from any paint job. Their high speeds generate enough heat to remove serious oxidation, scratches, scuffs, almost any paint defect. If a rotary cannot fix the problem, the car needs to go to a body shop. The downside to these machines is the potential paint damage if used incorrectly. The speeds generated can easily burn paint edges and create serious buffer marks. It's easy to butcher your paint job with one of these, but used properly, they can work wonders. Top brands are DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Makita and Hitachi. Costs are $150-200 for the machine, add for pads and polishes.

I hope this overview helps y'all understand what machines can and cannot do. Let me know if you have any questions.

Due to arthritis in my shoulder, I've recently started using a PC 7424. Prior to this I was a skeptic and believed only harm could come if I used a machine.

When doing the application by hand, my shoulders would be in serious trouble by the end of the day. I still remove the wax/polish by hand but at least my much of the wear and tear on my shoulder is reduced.

I believe you can use the PC very lightly so even the skeptics will find there is no more damage from it's application than from hand application. It's not as if you are are scrubbing with the PC. In my case, I'm very sure the paint is better off with me using the PC than if I applied by hand because with the PC I'm more likely to keep a good coat of wax on the car.

Ive got a little 6" orbital I purchased from WalMart for less than $20, its lasted me over 2 years now...and Id say Ive gotten my moneys worth, also its made me money on the side as well, enough to pay for it 20 times over.

Sears sells a nice 6 inch orbital for cheap too. I really like the quality of the ones they sell, and they have more different hand positions that you could use. This will be my next buffer!(after 2 years, mines almost done)

I really like the 6" size as its easy to work with, nice for large and small sections as well as around trimings.

Bonnets for these are easy to come by(and cheap) too...all the auto parts stores, discount stores even Sears! For about 6-7 bucks usually for 2-4 bonnets. The terry cloth bonnets are everywhere, BUT I really like the blue mesh (medical grade looking) bonnets that they sell at Sears, they work great for waxes and sealants and keep you from using too much, I highly recommend these! The terry cloth ones I still use for polishes and cleaners, but I gotta have those blue mesh ones too!!!

"If someone cleans their car and waxes by hand, it's more likely than not that the job will turn out OK."

Here's the key, for "OK" results hand application and removal is fine. For those of us that won't settle for OK but want exceptional results without hurting the paint, the Porter Cable is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back