Bubba and the Yankee

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Bubba (from Alabama) applied for an engineering position at a Lake Charles refinery.

A Yankee applied for the same job and both applicants having the same qualifications were asked to take a test by the manager.

Upon completion of the test, both men only missed one of the questions.

The manager went to Bubba and said: "Thank you for your interest, but we've decided to give the Yankee the job."

Bubba asked: "And why are you giving him the job? We both got nine questions correct. This being Louisiana, and me being a Southern boy I should get the job!"

The manager said: "We have made our decision not on the correct answers, but rather on the one question that you both missed."

Bubba then asked: "And just how would one incorrect answer be better than the other?"

The manager replied: "Bubba, its like this. On question #4 the Yankee put down; "I don't know."

You put down, "Neither do I."

Molakule, I hope you're from the south
smile.gif

(says the imported Yankee)

Born in Detroit, raised in Kentucky and St. Louis.

Also part Shawnee/Cherokee.

You could say I'm a halfbreed in more ways than one.
patriot.gif

I was getting grief from all quarters WRT my "sucking up" to a manager who was trying to get a promotion.

He wanted to know about gas turbines, combined cycles, the company's financing...I even let him in on the Cheng cycle so he would sound a little more worldly.

I gave him whatever info he wanted.

And finally, I was asked by workmates why I was giving away all of this information.

"Because I want to do everything in my power to help him get that job, and allow him to move on."

They stopped beating on me.

A former boss who was by all standards pretty sharp, once told us that our (the underlings) main job was to make him look good.

After we all quit laughing, he explained it similar to what Shannow expressed. By making him look good, our budget was easier to justify, we got better equipment, we could hire more help; and besides: if he didn't move up, neither could we......

I had a Jr Engineer once tell me when I asked him the usual "Where do you want to be next year?" question say "On your side of that desk...."

He was my best engineer, and a non-degreed one at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back