Browser for Linux Mint 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed Linux Mint 19 [Cinnamon] and I'm happy with it so far. I have Firefox which came with it and was toying around with installing another browser. Recommendations from Linux users would be appreciated. I'm tossing around, Chrome, Chromium, and Opera.

I've been using Firefox on all my Linux machines. I really haven't seen any problems with it that would cause me to investigate better options. Not to say that there aren't any.

Tracking to see what recommendations you get.

I use both Firefox and Chrome with Linux. Both work fine, but I prefer Chrome on more permanent installs since it syncs so well with my GMail account (bookmarks, extensions, layout, etc). I know FF can do this too, but I never had the patience to set it up how I liked.

Firefox generally comes with the distributions that I use, so if it's a short-lived or semi-permanent install, I'll just use FF.

Every now and again you will find a site that doesn't play nicely with (whichever browser you're using at the moment) and having another is useful to have around. Since Firefox is your main browser, I think using Chromium would be a good bet: You won't have the proprietary extras like Flash and PDF rendering that Chrome sports; but if you just need a "2nd" browser then it'd provide the alternative rendering engine.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
Every now and again you will find a site that doesn't play nicely with (whichever browser you're using at the moment) and having another is useful to have around. Since Firefox is your main browser, I think using Chromium would be a good bet: You won't have the proprietary extras like Flash and PDF rendering that Chrome sports; but if you just need a "2nd" browser then it'd provide the alternative rendering engine.

Thanks for the replies. On Windows 10 I ran into an occasional issue ordering online from certain sites with Chrome and FF. Using Edge on those sites worked. That's what prompted me to consider a second browser with this fresh install of Cinnamon 19.

Does FF have all the extras that Chromium is lacking?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Have you tried the Brave browser? I've found it to be excellent.

Not for the average noob. Downloading and installing it is a-lot more difficult to set-up than Chrome or Firefox.

I thought I did rather well negotiating thru all the settings that appear early-on...... until I was unsuccessful importing my Firefox Bookmarks. It was confusing seeing several different Firefox transporter PDF files show up and chose not to click on any of them. They were all numbered differently and that's when I gave up. If that's Brave's way of importing other browser bookmarks files, it fits all the other settings that seemed too difficult for a noob to understand.

No thanks. Although I do suppose an intermediate computer user-navigator might like the switch to Brave's browser.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Have you tried the Brave browser? I've found it to be excellent.

I never heard of it. I was wondering if Opera was any good for Linux? Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Does FF have all the extras that Chromium is lacking?

I am not sure it is a matter of one browser making up for another's "lack", per se; but more about mitigating the occasional non-compliance of one with some given web site. Since FF and Chrom(ium) are the two most popular rendering engines that are not OS-dependent, I have never seen reason to require more than those two.

Brave, Opera and the myriad forks of F/LOSS browsers and the myriad browsers built atop Chromium or WebKit ought to all work identically on whatever OS they support.

Chrome for one reason. Web developers build web/cloud applications using Chrome over any other one out there because of amazing development tools/aids/experience. You'll get the most reliable and consistent experience. I am cloud/web application architect.

All other browsers developers may test but generally QA does it and kicks back to developer to correct.

Thanks for the replies. I went with Chromium, it is working well. I have Mint 18.3 on my wife's PC, I had changed all of my computers to Win10. I decided to take an older tower of mine which was really slow with Win 10 and put Mint 19 Cinnamon in, it is great. Anyone on the fence should give one of the Mint offerings a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back