Broken stuff this weekend - great service 'though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son's birthday yesterday (St Pats), so my mother planning to come visit.

Friday morning, son comes out of the shower, and he's royally peeved...had a cold f'ing shower.

Went out to the hot water service, pilot light out, clearly due to the water dripping down onto it from a leaking tank, in the flue somewhere...fired it back up full bore to get it luke warm for the rest of the family.

Being a Friday, called a local plumber, husband of a workmate, told the sorry story, and he agreed to replace the whole shebang while I was at work...week's pay gone there, but the clock is reset (manufacture date on the old one is 2005, so I think the previous owners did alright out of it...wonder how much better it would have done with an anode replacement (and sort of glad that I DIDN't replace the anode this year...the tank was already RS.)

Mum's here (71, and drove the 320 miles in about 6 hours - she likes breaks, walks, and lunch), so "borrowed" the car to check the tyres (she did it before she came, and they were spot on), fill it up, and check the fluids. Opened the bonnet, and the glycol smell hits, plus the white crust over airbox and the like. Definitely a leak...top tank empty, top tank O ring area looking suspicious in the area of the spray, so put a stop leak in it (she wanted to drive back toda) and took just over a quart to fill it, so not deadly I don't think.

Get it home, clean it up, top O'ring is sealed, and all looks good, until it starts to cool, then it's evident that there's a split in the top tank itself opposite the hot water intake, and half way across the radiator tank...2004, and heat.

Clearly not driving home on that.

Ring wife of fave mechanic in town (She's the business manager), and if we get the car there 8AM tomorrow (Monday), Mum should be able to drive home same day.

Checked the oil today for milkiness...no sign, and using the analysier that I've got
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...300#Post4649747

It shows "1", which is perfect (was changed in December at the last service), so no signs of head gasket.

Coming from the city, my mother could not believe the level of service that we received over these two days out here in the bush. Rush hot water replacement, talking to workshops on the weekend.

Oftentimes this town feels pretty grim, but there ARE service providers with great attitude. ..naturally payment is immediate.

Sometimes things break all at once. Lately it has been my pickup truck and .

I've found water heaters last almost exactly as long as the warranty period. Here in the States they are almost all made in Johnson City, TN and branded whatever. I decided to pay for the 12 year model and see if it really lasts 12 years. I'm about half way there. So far, so good. It's a whirlpool. I've needed a new control board and a new control board cover, and got both under warranty with no hassle.

I get great service too. The last time my water heater went out, I called my brother an hour's drive away and then hooked up the hose to drain the old heater. The hose was frozen. So I left it, hoping the water was warm enough to melt the plugged garden hose, and went and bought the new heater.

When I got back the old heater was setting outside, my brother had found the basement door open, the heater drained, and just went ahead and removed it. We had the new one installed in less than an hour.

For me, right now, that odb2tuner.com site seems to be down.

There is nothing like a group of friends or mates as you would say that are ready to help at a moments notice and the trust factor is strong.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There is nothing like a group of friends or mates as you would say that are ready to help at a moments notice and the trust factor is strong.

It's a bit funny...zero "friends" per se in the come around for a beer, BBQ, any of that.

But plenty when it comes to this sort of thing.

It's strange.

If I ever make it to Oz someday close to where you're at I'll have a beer or two with ya.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

It's a bit funny...zero "friends" per se in the come around for a beer, BBQ, any of that.

Pretty well what happens in a small community I've found. I know a lot of people in town, and zero social contact. I had a customer phone me last night (saturday), and we had a talk about a few things happening...nice to know they are thinking about you. Had the plumber around a few months ago...I service his van, my wife knows his boss well...she rung him to get it organised.

We used to live on an island with the same population (7,000), and driving on the road you had to wave to every car you saw, you knew them by name, and they knew you too. Meet people out and about, at activities etc, but close social interaction didn't happen, everyone was pretty private.

It's strange.

I've got this too.

I chalk it up to people who don't know something, but know people who know something.

I feel like I'm the latter. I'm flattered, I guess. Nice to be needed.

It's strange.

My dad would always say most people won't volunteer to do anything but ask them for help and they'll do most anything for you. It's a human nature thing more visible in a small town possibly. I had a self-inflicted minor plumbing emergency last fall, called the husband (plumber) of a lady my wife worked with, he came right out and fixed it. And it seems if there's even a tiny bit of a personal connection people will go out of their way to help. Dad was right.

Got the car back yesterday arv.

She drove home today, no issues.

Lucky pick-up and timing methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back