Broken Strut Mount

I think this is the only car where I have ever experienced broken strut mounts. 96 Infiniti I30, 166K.
The original passenger side mount broke 2 years ago and was replaced with a KYB; the KYB lasted about ~1.5 years.

Yesterday the original mount on the driver's side broke. Rubber sheared off of the metal plate. When this happens you get a terrible knocking sound (with squeak). It was after 7:30pm when this happened, AZ did not have one but O'Reilly's did. $45 for their generic MasterPro mount, which is double what I would normally pay. But it was this or the driver would be driving 70 miles home with a broken strut mount.

Also, the Monroe OESpectrum struts on this car have 40-50K on them, at most. They are worn to the point that they are dangerous. The previous set of Monroe Sensatracs were the same way - absolutely roasted after 50K. Are Monroe struts normally this crappy?

Attachments

• 46838C8B-A30A-4B80-B94E-5F14FE4374EF.jpeg
    46838C8B-A30A-4B80-B94E-5F14FE4374EF.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 5327EC2D-E8D5-45CA-995E-0F31B51422BE.jpeg
    5327EC2D-E8D5-45CA-995E-0F31B51422BE.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 183
The Monroes on my Jeep were blown around 50k but I only paid $8 a corner. I've never owned a vehicle with struts so can't comment.

I think this is the only car where I have ever experienced broken strut mounts. 96 Infiniti I30, 166K.
The original passenger side mount broke 2 years ago and was replaced with a KYB; the KYB lasted about ~1.5 years.

Yesterday the original mount on the driver's side broke. Rubber sheared off of the metal plate. When this happens you get a terrible knocking sound (with squeak). It was after 7:30pm when this happened, AZ did not have one but O'Reilly's did. $45 for their generic MasterPro mount, which is double what I would normally pay. But it was this or the driver would be driving 70 miles home with a broken strut mount.

Also, the Monroe OESpectrum struts on this car have 40-50K on them, at most. They are worn to the point that they are dangerous. The previous set of Monroe Sensatracs were the same way - absolutely roasted after 50K. Are Monroe struts normally this crappy?
Yes, Monroe are that crappy and worse. Bilstein, Sachs, Koni, OE (possibly KYB) are the best way to go as are OE mounts. The only exception to OE mounts are high end Poly mounts that are available for a few models like the VW donuts that are superior to OE by a wide margin.

Had both the mounts go bad on my Liberty, at about 170 or 180k. Never heard of anyone else in the Liberty community having the issue, took awhile to figure it out since no one else had had the issue. Replaced ball joints, sway bar bushings, upper control arm bushings etc before realizing it. Got new Mopar mounts for $50 each, been good since then. Mine never clunked, just an annoying squeak.

+1 on the can from Kano Labs!

Were quick struts available at the store? :unsure:
Some of them are only listed for the Maxima not the I30, but they will still work fine since they're the same car.

How is the radiator support? They are also know for rusting and breaking on those cars.

On the other side of the country, the quicjk struts only need to last 40-50k because the car will rust out within 20-30k :sneaky:

Were quick struts available at the store? :unsure:
Some of them are only listed for the Maxima not the I30, but they will still work fine since they're the same car.

How is the radiator support? They are also know for rusting and breaking on those cars.

On the other side of the country, the quicjk struts only need to last 40-50k because the car will rust out within 20-30k :sneaky:
No quick struts available and I would not use them anyway. The springs are fine.

Quick struts suck! The springs are not properly rated for the application just a generic that fits, they usually jack the car up.
I buy the strut, a OE mount and a quality spring like Lesjofers, Suplex or OE.
I have used the German made Suplex on VW/Audi, MB, BMW and Citroen Spheres with no issues whatsoever, OE ride and height. The Lesjofers are the same quality and are/were AFAIK the OE manufacturer for Saab and Volvo, they are made in Sweden. Use whichever brand is available for the car. Japanese and US cars I have no idea, when I come across a broken one which is common in the salt belt I usually buy OE.

A 2016 Suplex catalog, you can find the springs on ebay, Amazon.de or Amazon.UK

You have KYB strut mounts go bad after 1.5 years, but then complain more about Monroe struts that lasted 50K miles.
Strut mounts have been a problem in the aftermarket, regardless of brand.

I usually have good luck with Monroe. I replaced the ones on our Camry with Monroe and so far so good. That’s the brand I’ve always used.

Reactions: wdn
I've used Monroe's and haven't had an issue with them..

Only time I have questioned strut mounts is on quick strus. I have to wonder if purchased separately strut mounts are of higher quality.

Monroe has no warranty on strut mounts purchased separately, on their own; but the quick strut lifetime warranty covers all parts of the quick strut, including the mounts :unsure:

It wouldn't make sense to use separate mounts on quick struts than what is sold separately, as they would have to make 2 parts instead of one.

Now, this doesn't mean they don't use different mounts, so you could still be right. I still question the hardware used in the cheaper quick struts such as Monroe's Econo-Matic, since the price difference between the Roadmatic and the premium quick strut has to account for more than just the strut itself (Monro-Matic vs OESpectrum). The Roadmatic quick strut has a 2-year warranty; the bare strut Monro-Matic has no warranty.

Back