Brits and Frogs still at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
British and French nuclear subs collide
London
February 17, 2009
British and French submarines, both nuclear-powered and carrying nuclear weapons, collided in the Atlantic this month, the Sun has reported.

The Sun yesterday said HMS Vanguard and France's Le Triomphant were both damaged but there were no reports of damage to the nuclear parts. The British sub has been towed to Scotland for repair.

Both vessels — between them carrying about 250 sailors — were reportedly submerged and on separate missions when they crashed on February 3 or 4. A spokesman for Britain's Ministry of Defence said: "We can confirm that … there has been no compromise to nuclear safety."

Britain and U.S tell each other where their subs are even the ones with nukes, usually the best kept state secret. Not quite the same co-operation with France although the French and U.S military have become real chummy lately.

...Brit's need not to worry, after all what are we Canadians here for? we will happily buy this damage Sub by Brits again!!!
who knows maybe the French Sub as well...if the Separatists insists!!
Thx - we are just like dat :)

How did they manage to 'collide' in the first place?!
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
How did they manage to 'collide' in the first place?!
54.gif

Submarines routinely stop suddenly to listen if they are being shadowed by another sub. Should another sub be trailing closely, sub commanders pride themselves in doing this, a collision is not exactly unlikely. Yes, they do sneak up on each other that closely! It could have also been merely a freak accident.

They are designed not to be heard or seen and do not use sonar when cruising around. The English and Americans know where each others subs are, they don't know where the French are.

Used the old check brake heaps when I was in my teens and 20s.

Other guy was always fast enough to not hit me.

In hindsight, it wasn't the best idea I'd ever had at the time.

"Frogs" is an offensive racial epithet, much like "n*gger" or "chink." I am French, and I am just saying. None of those other words would be tolerated here.

Originally Posted By: Oily_McOilenson
"Frogs" is an offensive racial epithet, much like "n*gger" or "chink." I am French, and I am just saying. None of those other words would be tolerated here.

It's OK for him to use such terms. He's an aussie.

Have these geniuses ever heard of cameras? Why can't they mount a camera on the outside of the sub, so they can actually SEE what is around them?

They need feelers, like on a catfish. It's dark down there. An array of low pressure sensors on the sides of the sub, like the lateral line on fish, could probably help prevent such an accident, or even the chance of hitting the bottom. They would sense changes in the pressure wave created by the hull as the sub moved. Of course, if the sub was moving slow enough, it wouldn't work, but any impact might be of little consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back