Bringing car back from storage

Next month I am bringing my Mazda 3 out of "storage" where it has been since January of this year. This wasn't a full storage as I would make a monthly trip out to where it was being stored and take it on a 10-15 mile drive.

Right before I stored the car I changed the oil and filter. It was a little overdue on being changed due to a move. I used Mobil1 AFE 0w-20 with a Mazda filter.

Would it be a good idea to change the oil before I start regularly driving it or should the car be fine? I'll be doing about a 15 mile round trip commute in it daily, mostly on suburban surface roads.

Stored inside or out? I'd personally go with it's normal schedule and not worry too much about what-ifs. Can't imagine it being catastrophic during a single interval.

It was a mix of outside for part of the time, and inside a garage for the last part.
Was it pushed or started for a short time during those transitions. Although I am sure the oil is ok still , oil and filters are cheap and easy for most any DIY to do. I would also be concerned about the fuel that was left in it.

I wasn't too hard on it when I would do my monthly drive, mostly kept it under 60. It wasn't started at all between drives. I left the tank around a half tank and I let it run low and filled it half way about a month ago. Next month i'll be taking it on a drive to Portland a couple weeks before it fully comes out of storage. That should help with flushing out any of the old fuel. Would putting an additive in an empty tank be a good idea as well?

Right before I stored the car I changed the oil and filter. It was a little overdue on being changed due to a move.
New oil won't deteriorate just from sitting 6 months in the pan. Assuming the oil looks as clean on the dipstick as it did then, go on with your normal OCI as if you had just changed it yesterday. I've got a few cars sitting for the last 5 to 8 years. I just start them up and run for a few minutes every 3-6 months and put into R and D for a few seconds to circulate the transmission fluid. No point in going for a drive in most cases. Main thing is for the fuel pump to run and wear off any oxidation on the motor armature.

I mainly went on the drive to make sure the battery stayed charged and also because I missed driving a manual transmission.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Reactions: JC1
Once it moved inside it was put on a trickle charger.
I used my OBD scan tool and checked the battery and alternator periodically. It didn't have any issues. The battery was replaced in early 2020.

Once it moved inside it was put on a trickle charger.
I used my OBD scan tool and checked the battery and alternator periodically. It didn't have any issues. The battery was replaced in early 2020.
Ok good to know. Short drives without get the engine to operating temperature can cause the oil to become slightly contaminated due to moisture in the block. Although I am sure it would burn off and also possible collect in the filter it something to think about. I always here the exception to rule from people that store there vehicle in Alaska for years and never worry about such things. But as you did not do this the oil should be ok. 1/2 a tank of gasoline is likely to not be in the best of shape but if you fill your tank asap and start driving that also should be fine. I would however recomend getting your battery load tested. Age when you purchased it really has some but little part to how that batteries actual health condition is ! A battery can have 12-13 volts and still be failing. Better to find out now then a recue for a no start Mazda.

It's fine. Our Honda came out of storage two weeks ago after 16 months. Engine oil is from 2018 or 2019 and the OLM shows 40%. I just checked the level today and the oil still looks good, and I remember topping it off with about a quart, just before storing in 2020.

Glad all you can guarantee to the OP without actually physically checking things for yourself will be ok? :unsure:

I do like the OCD comment. thats funny not accurately used but funny! :ROFLMAO:

Glad all you can guarantee to the OP without actually physically checking things for yourself will be ok? :unsure:

I do like the OCD comment. thats funny not accurately used but funny! :ROFLMAO:
The car was parked in January . Oil and filter were changed prior to . Car was driven once a month . Fresh gas was added at one point . We can rule out rodent infestation . I see nothing else to be concerned about . Sure , you can throw money at it and feel better about it if you want to .

The car was parked in January . Oil and filter were changed prior to . Car was driven once a month . Fresh gas was added at one point . We can rule out rodent infestation . I see nothing else to be concerned about . Sure , you can throw money at it and feel better about it if you want to .
BATTERY....

Any stored gas in a vehicle with the current formulas in the USA is always a concern.
And as I said it easy for a forum member to give advise, after all its not their vehicles if they are wrong, inaccurate or give less then the best responses to help a fellow member. :rolleyes:
Me on the other hand I try to inform with more information that is at least realistic and not ... "well my 1960 Nova been out thar in the weeds fur goen on a batter par of 6 years now. It start rights up and run gud, at least fur a dey!" LOL

If its not due for an oil change, just run it. You took it out for long monthly runs, there's nothing wrong with the oil.. I think you are making a bigger issue out of it than it is.

I figured it wasn't too big of a deal. I just wanted to check in.
I'll run the car over to an AutoZone or similar and have it load tested as well.
This past weekend I actually put about 50 miles on it. It started right up and didn't have problems.

The oldest gas is at most 3-4 months old. I mentioned earlier that I ran it down to near empty a while back and then filled it half way.

Drive it! 🙃

I bought the Elantra after a year of sitting outside, under 6 feet of snow for the winter, then in a field for 7 months. jumped the battery and drove away!.

It had oil change right before it sat, so the oil had 100 miles on it. I drove it for a month on the "old" oil before changing it out for Synthetic. That's the only reason i changed it.. The oil was still clear on the stick, and engine had zero abnormal sounds. Same with the gas, it had a 1/2 of tank of year old top-tier gas. not even a misfire or check engine light, and pulled almost 30 MPG right off from the start. Ran it to empty and filled up with ethanol free, zero fuel issues to report, even after a year of sitting.

Im starting to think us BITOG members over think things.

BATTERY....

Any stored gas in a vehicle with the current formulas in the USA is always a concern.
And as I said it easy for a forum member to give advise, after all its not their vehicles if they are wrong, inaccurate or give less then the best responses to help a fellow member. :rolleyes:
Me on the other hand I try to inform with more information that is at least realistic and not ... "well my 1960 Nova been out thar in the weeds fur goen on a batter par of 6 years now. It start rights up and run gud, at least fur a dey!" LOL
Just a bit dramatic , eh ? Anyway , I wouldn't tell anybody to do anything I wouldn't do myself . And as it turns out , the sky wasn't falling after all ..
And I didn't see where you " informed " the op of anything other than the gas might be a concern . You were too busy dogging on me . ;)

Back