Bringing alcohol into Canada

US pint is 16oz, Imperial pint is 19.22oz. They sometimes try and sell Pints in US sized glasses here in Canada, this causes us to get mad as legally it must be a imperial pint.
I mean in Canada - place I go doesn’t mention “pint“ at all … And as you know steaks etc are often sold in oz … The only time we roll metric is at work - and even then often use (USC) alongside since equipment was likely imported from elsewhere …
I have worked globally long enough to understand SI and the sensitivities (prefer mass over pressure etc) …

It's too bad that people believe they can't have a successful get together without having alcohol served. I think it's crazy to lug around a heavy fragile bottle of booze for 3,000 miles just to "share with colleagues". Why not bring some marijuana instead? It's legal in Canada now, isn't it, and a whole lot easier to carry.

I remember returning from numerous Caribbean vacations and being at the airport. After spending thousands on their trip, you always see some couples lugging around bottles of liquor from the duty free shop being all excited and happy to save 5 or 10 dollars on a bottle, until one of them falls out of the bag and breaks, negating all the hassle.

Don't bring beer to Canada. I grew up on the boarder with New York. Once you get over the border you can purchase it at the provincial ran shop called "The Beer Store".

Case of beer (24 bottles) is about $40 CAD.

Don't bring any back with you.

If you are exiting Canada and going to the states, you can purchase DUTY free beer and other goods within limit. When you buy there you need to exit to the states immediately and there are even lanes preventing you from re-entering canada directly from the store. In there a case of beer is about $25 CAD.

I don't know what California prices are for beer, but you aren't really saving any money wherever you buy beer. The duty free shop itsn't even a real deal. It was only a deal when the loony was worth half of the dollar.

It's too bad that people believe they can't have a successful get together without having alcohol served. I think it's crazy to lug around a heavy fragile bottle of booze for 3,000 miles just to "share with colleagues". Why not bring some marijuana instead? It's legal in Canada now, isn't it, and a whole lot easier to carry.

I remember returning from numerous Caribbean vacations and being at the airport. After spending thousands on their trip, you always see some couples lugging around bottles of liquor from the duty free shop being all excited and happy to save 5 or 10 dollars on a bottle, until one of them falls out of the bag and breaks, negating all the hassle.
Also fun to watch the dummies who buy items on the cruise ships duty free (Booze, cigarettes, etc), and the second they land in Texas they have to

1.) Wait in a long customs line to declare all their purchases (At least 90 minutes)
2.) Pay a tax to the state of Texas for bringing it in.

Every cruise I see tons of families mad sitting and waiting, while the father is waiting in line with customs to pay his tariff on beer or liquor that could be had at Costco in the states for a few dollars more, with no hassle.

Just so you know Mr. Atikovi, marijuana is legal in Canada but you cannot legally transport it across the border. 😎

I cross regular between Detroit, Mi and Windsor, Ont. Your table is accurate. I take the opportunity to buy limited quantities at the duty-free outlet. Expect to pay duty if you purchase more than the allowance. I think your table is correct, per volumes limits listed.

I don't think I've ever been searched entering Canada, but I'm obviously not going to lie. At this point I'm thinking just a case of beer and a bottle of Scotch, and I'll just live with whether or not they charge me duties.

The whole thing about duty free is a perk that was asked for by consumers and and the distilleries, wineries and breweries. Canada foregoes some of the charges it normally gets, the consumers get a break and a little more booze is sold. Its a tradition around the world.

The whole thing about duty free is a perk that was asked for by consumers and and the distilleries, wineries and breweries. Canada foregoes some of the charges it normally gets, the consumers get a break and a little more booze is sold. Its a tradition around the world.

The thing that would really get me is that I'm already paying various duties on imported liquor, but that's baked into the retail price. So if I had to pay more duties, I would need to bring out a receipt and then pay duties where the base already includes duties. But I'm thinking it wouldn't be based on the sales tax. Of course I could bypass that if I buy duty free alcohol at the airport on the way in, but that also has the issue of limited selection on top of many cases where the price isn't competitive. I was thinking of maybe going to Costco and just getting whatever they have.

Now I'm thinking of this:

ARDBEG-WHISKY-MONSTERS-OF-SMOKE-TRIO-PACK-101521-1.jpg

"...the thing that would really get me is that I'm already paying various duties on imported liquor, but that's baked into the retail price. So if I had to pay more duties, I would need to bring out a receipt and then pay duties where the base already includes duties. But I'm thinking it wouldn't be based on the sales tax. Of course I could bypass that if I buy..."
Duty on top of duty on top of...
EVERY one wants their piece and thus was merica itself made (a service industry of abuncha middle men). o0OP, too many charicters, pay a duty. Example: add ons and restrictions to new cars (must use specific 'dealers'; parts industry; alcohol in usa; ad infinitum)> And now, w/covid restrictions MSRP goes up, add-ons above that for the pleasure of buying a car tacked on...

US pint is 16oz, Imperial pint is 19.22oz. They sometimes try and sell Pints in US sized glasses here in Canada, this causes us to get mad as legally it must be a imperial pint.

Subtle difference but it’s there. Canadian pint on the left. US pint on the right. I recall there being a white line on the Canadian pint glasses to make sure the bar tender wasn’t shorting the customer. No suds was allowed below the line.

FCE20E27-0772-4DA0-AC3D-03090946F150.jpeg

Well … not that most major airports are turning into shopping malls … 😳

I don't think I've ever been searched entering Canada, but I'm obviously not going to lie. At this point I'm thinking just a case of beer and a bottle of Scotch, and I'll just live with whether or not they charge me duties.
I had 4 patting me down hands on wall - devices stripped/turned on, and trashed my bags leaving Canada 2 weeks ago.
3 of them could pass for Jihad …

Back