Briggs Vanguard V-Twin Smoking Upon Start-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Briggs & Stratton 10kW generastor with a 570cc Vanguard V-Twin engine. It is fairly new and has a little over (3) hours on it. Upon start-up, a huge puff of smoke comes out of the exhaust. It only does this if it has been sitting, say for a week or so. If I shut it down and start it back up, it starts normally. It does not smoke while running either. The oil level is about 3/4 - 7/8 on the dip stick, so it is not over filled. What does this mean? I am a little concerned because it is new and I am not that familiar with these engines. Any advice would be appreciated!

Blue or black smoke? Are you storing it tilted any way? I'm sure this is a horizontal shaft engine, but vertical shafters will get oil in the cylinders if you tilt them so the cam covers are lower than the oil sump.

Joel

It is a vertical shaft stationary generator. I didn't notice the color of the smoke. I will have to check and make sure it is level. I suppose it could have settled slightly? Thanks!

It's absolutely NOTHING to worry about.
While sitting for an extended period, a few drops of oil migrate into the combustion chamber. A few drops makes a lot of smoke.
This "problem" is likely to be exacerbated somewhat if the oil is a bit over full.

Originally Posted By: irq3
It is a vertical shaft stationary generator. I didn't notice the color of the smoke. I will have to check and make sure it is level. I suppose it could have settled slightly? Thanks!

Oh cool. I didn't think about the up/down shafters installed on the hard-wired gen sets. Yep, she could be off level some. It's real easy for vert shaft OHV engines to migrate some oil from sump to cylinder. I've seen it a bunch of times. Like Bill says, it will belch a CLOUD on startup, then clear right up. Being even slightly overfull of oil will make it worse.

Joel

Since it is only 3 months new did it come with 10W-30 or 30WT?

Maybe consider a high viscosity oil?

Definately level it...maybe fill to the low end of normal on the dipstick.

I doubt the gasket is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back