Briggs/Stratton Ring Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oversized rings, or just new rings of the same size?

Not involved. It's a complete teardown of the engine, but we're talking a pretty simple engine.

bepperb,
Standard size. I am getting oil back through the carb. and was informed it was rings I am not sure that is the issue. Thanks

bepperb,

There is a large amount of oil comming out, when I first noticed it there was a lot of smoke. No PCV valve. No overfill I just purchased a carb breather assembly not installed yet. This is a riding lawnmower

Before you spend too much time on it, pull the head and inspect the bore and see how much wear you have to deal with. If the bore is trashed, you can save time and get a replacement shortblock/engine vs reringing what you have.

Is there no breather valve? That's probably not the correct name, but you may know what I'm talking about. It looks like a little rectangle with a hose coming out of it. Sometimes you can take those off and soak them in gas if the reed gets gummed up.

There should have been a slow sign of oil loss if your rings are worn out. Did you notice losing oil prior to this incident.

If the rings are that worn out I'd pull the spark plug out and try giving it a couple of pulls. Check if oil is present.

there is a (rubber hose type) conncection between the crankcase and the carb. check for issues with this-? pinched, not hooked up correctly?

steve20,

Replaced the breather and hose with new ones started mower and had the same issue oil coming back through the carb.also puled the plug and did a few cranks and no oil coming out. Otherwise get the mower runs great also I have rebuilt the carb. with a new Briggs parts.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Before you spend too much time on it, pull the head and inspect the bore and see how much wear you have to deal with. If the bore is trashed, you can save time and get a replacement shortblock/engine vs reringing what you have.

+1 to that. If it's an aluminum bore engine, it's not worth a rework IMO. I'd just purchase a replacement somewhere like here: https://www.surpluscenter.com/engines.asp?UID=2009070212063735&catname=engines

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back