Briggs & Stratton Foam Air Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: punisher
The real secret........bar and chain oil.

That's what I use because of it tackiness. It should hold more dirt hopefully than regular motor oil.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I have no reasonable explanation as to how someone with 12,000 posts here could ask such a question...

If the oil is too thick, it will block the flow of air through the filter.
If the oil is too thin, it will not collect the dust.

It's a brilliantly simple question.

Absolutely no brilliance.

Don't use oil. Run it dry. Put 2 layers of kitchen type paper towel under the filter, next to the metal housing. Change it whenever you change the oil. Way better then an oiled filter. That's what I do. Try it, you will be surprised.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Don't use oil. Run it dry. Put 2 layers of kitchen type paper towel under the filter, next to the metal housing. Change it whenever you change the oil. Way better then an oiled filter. That's what I do. Try it, you will be surprised.

I agree!

I think I'll go to Pep Boys and get me a $9.99 quart bottle of Royal Purple just to use on foam air filters.
grin2.gif

I think I'll go to Pep Boys and get me a $9.99 quart bottle of Royal Purple just to use on foam air filters.
grin2.gif

That will work just fine.

haha, Joker
Question: Which viscosity of engine oil is preferred to oil these filters ?

7540055-1134.jpg

But for real, I think they are made to work with any oil on them just to make them a bit moist. For complete bitog nerds, you should use motorcycle filter oil, or as I do, spray them with K&N cold air intake filter oil. That way, combined with the Amsoil 10w30 OPE you will be certain that what killed your Briggs after 3851 hours (metered, as I do) was not your maintenance!
LOL

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Check on the box/owner's manual. I know many Briggs foam filters say not to use oil and install them dry.

Yup...

I know the last thing I'd use is that gooey bar oil...

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Check on the box/owner's manual. I know many Briggs foam filters say not to use oil and install them dry.

I've never seen an all foam filter that doesn't call for oil. Paper filters are another matter.

A foam air filter without oil is just a rock catcher that keeps the small birds and butterflys from getting in but does not keep any fine dust out. As far as what oil to use, most anything that is oily will work. I think Briggs used to say to use the same as using in the engine. I personally have seen many engines with worn out rings, and valve guides, with dry filters and the fine dirt going right through to the point of coating the carb throat thick with dirt. Of course I have seen engines run for quite a ling time with no filter to. depends on conditions. As an example, snow blowers don't use air filters.

Last edited:
old1 As an example said:
Not a lot of engine grinding dust in snow
wink.gif
? Seriously I think snow blower engines not having air filters has more to do with potential icing of the filter and blocking the airflow. The lack of dust makes doing this feasible.

Whimsey

Right, I also think the lack of air filters on snow blowers is due to icing, as many many years ago they did have air filters in them, mostly oil bath type, and a few foam ones, but iced up really easy. And I am certainly not proposing to not use an air filter, just saying those few who say not to oil a foam filter are probably running in pretty clean air.

Wash it out with Dawn and water and re-oil with whatever fresh you have laying around. No need to overthink things here. It's a Briggs engine and it really doesn't matter. Even the Lawn Boy engines just need them to have some form of oil to be effective.

I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil on my Craftsman leaf blower filter, no issues to date and it traps the dirt just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back